Warez versions emulate Steam

WhiteZero

Tank
Reaction score
I dont think VALVe is going find any way around stoping the piraters now. The newest repack of Half-Life 2 warez emulates Steam.

:rolling:

Old news, its been out for about 4 days now.
No game can be saved from warez.

All HL2 cracks emulate Steam's net cafe version in LAN mode. The problem with the "emulator" (actually only a cracked Steam client) is that it calls home, so to speak. Or, well, it's not a problem since none of us warez HL2, right? :)

I have no need for the warez version, Im a lucky ATI voucher holder.

Im a lucky ATI voucher holder.
Yea me too! Thats the best Money I ever spent on a video card! Free HL2 Free Cs:S All kinds of free steam gooddies! :)

i got one too, and i can run half-life 2 on 1280x1024 with everything on high no aa en trilinair filtering and it doesn't have any slowdowns

on my radeon 9600XT

Para said:
All HL2 cracks emulate Steam's net cafe version in LAN mode. The problem with the "emulator" (actually only a cracked Steam client) is that it calls home, so to speak. Or, well, it's not a problem since none of us warez HL2, right? :)

How do you mean? Does it still communicate with the Steam servers? Wouldn't it be easy to track them down then?

why are you mixing 5.1 altec lansing with oboard sound :rolling:

ps. they better be 651s not the dodgey ones.

They've been able to emulate Steam for ages, didn't it come with the CS warez version that got released too?

Dublo7 said:
Emulates Steam?
What exactly does it do?
Ive seen it done, its basically a black window in the background(dos thingy) that acts as if its steam, so when the game is loaded it thinks its running through steam. It doesn't validate your account or anything so its basically going around the whole steam account piracy protection. The CS source crack was done the same way. I cant see a solution to that problem :( :imu:

PvtRyan said:
How do you mean? Does it still communicate with the Steam servers? Wouldn't it be easy to track them down then?

There are ways to hide normal traffic from firewall programs and just sending some crap marked as normal ping packet isn't usually blocked by any firewall :)

You can't auth with it though so no online playing for pirates.

Para said:
There are ways to hide normal traffic from firewall programs and just sending some crap marked as normal ping packet isn't usually blocked by any firewall :)
Not sure if that helps though, since Steam presumably communicates over higher TCP ports, not UDP. I'd guess that blocking Steam access isn't too hard, but activation would be harder. So I suppose the warez one takes files from some guys alive Steam version? This could be a very bad idea if Valve were smart enough to make the Steam files post-activation have the Steam account ID coded in them somewhere :)

I'd love to know if the warez version actually works though. (Note:I just finished original, don't flame).

Back