Was it confirmed that the Source version of HL1 + mods is in CE only?

Soundwave

Reaction score
I didn't wanna make a thread just for this question, but I saw it mentioned in the Doug Lombardi interview thread but it didn't seem to make that big of an impact to people. I think that's a HUGE deal if true, but I want to make sure that was actually said in the interview with him.

If so, it pretty much guarantees HL2 does in fact have it's own unique multiplayer. So someone who heard that interview please come in and confirm that it was said.

The source version will include HL1, counter strike, day of defeat, team fortress classic and deathmatch...and yes it is a big deal.

No, not true. This would not only piss off the community, but it would be the worst marketing move in years.

Perhaps I am over reading what you are saying. To say that it would be only in the CE forever is suicide.

Not true, unless someone can provide me proof otherwise.

damn IGN insider!
yeah things are getting confusing now.
we need some facts from Valve... I e-mailed but as usual I get no repsonse... I think they despise/filter out my mail provider.

Argh so who said that in the that topic? Whoever said it needs to come in here and confirm that they heard it, otherwise why the heck say it?

Edit - Ok I just checked in the thread and Construcdead said it on page 2. Come on Construcdead, let us know if he did in fact say that! That's a huge deal if true. Also, I don't get why that would be bad marketing, if anything that's good marketing. Some people may not want those updated mods, it's the exact type of awesome content they SHOULD include in a CE.

What interview? The one with the transcript on eurogamer.net? If we're talking about that interview, Doug definitely did not say that.

Polykarbon said:
No, not true. This would not only piss off the community, but it would be the worst marketing move in years.

Perhaps I am over reading what you are saying. To say that it would be only in the CE forever is suicide.

Not true, unless someone can provide me proof otherwise.

Of course, it's not going to be exclusive to the CE, but it's included in it, or so they say. You'll still be able to buy it over Steam or the store (probably you can download the mods seperately over Steam and you'll buy a generations pack in the store which contains them all)

To answer your question: no, it was not confirmed, everyone is going to die someday even you, and in the end we are all alone with our own consciences and also strawberry ice cream is the best.

*thoughtfully and solitarily eats strawberry ice cream, chokes and dies*

They will be available to everyone via steam purchase at the least. Gabe mentioned that boxed editions would be sold also. Nothing has been confirmed regarding the CE edition. I'd expect that they probably will include at least HL¹-Source with it as a purchase incentive, but we will no doubt find out in time.

Soundwave said:
Cookies N Cream > Strawberry

strawberries + woman > cookies and cream.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think a system where depending on what you own you get it in source edition.

IE. if you own half life you can upgrade it to source with steam.

ow crap...it would be sweet if the CE was to include HL(1)-source...but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Dougy said:
I think a system where depending on what you own you get it in source edition.

IE. if you own half life you can upgrade it to source with steam.

I don't think this will work because I own HL1, DOD and CS although I've only paid for Half Life. So technically I'm not entitled to them in Source? That would piss many people off methinks.

digsy said:
I don't think this will work because I own HL1, DOD and CS although I've only paid for Half Life. So technically I'm not entitled to them in Source? That would piss many people off methinks.

I don't think you should be entitled to the same games under the brand spankin' new engine for free just cause you bought the old game. Old game, old engine. Old game, new engine = slightly newer product = another purchase price. 'course, would be a sweet-ass gift from valve if they did do it for free though :)

Back