Was it just me?

Llama

Tank
Reaction score
Remember back when the game was first announced?
Well, you know all those screenshots around at the time, Like the Ant Lion guard coming out of the water while a Gunship was overhead?

It might just be me, but looking at HL2 otday, looking at the screenshots then, the old ones look...just....different. They look better
Anyone else notice this?

They look worse. Its one thing to look at it, but its another thing to play it. It'd be the same if you played a different HL2, then saw current HL2 screenshots. You've played HL2, you know how it goes. You haven't played those screens and therefore look more interesting.
How the screen of the Antlion guard, gunship etc at a very bland coastal area can look better however, is beyond me :p

I dont know :p I think it's because they are shiny, I like shiny things

I remember when I saw first announcement of HL2...it was at 12.may 2003 and I saw this at former good site www.planethalf-life.com
And you mean this screen, right?

Attachments

• HL2First.jpg
    HL2First.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 277
I'm with ya - so much of what was put in the previews was cut or altered in the final release. In particular, the scene where you're walking along a very narrow pier over the water and a zombie wakes up and kicks a barrel at you. That seemed like a very rich scene. Note: I am by no means saying that the final cut of this game was anything but awesome. I do see where Llama's coming from though.

It certainly would've notched the game up from a 8 to a 9 if they had included at least half of the deleted content.

Polaris said:
I remember when I saw first announcement of HL2...it was at 12.may 2003 and I saw this at former good site www.planethalf-life.com
And you mean this screen, right?

Yep thats the one...I dont know why, but it just looks so much better than the current game engine. Maybe i'm just wierd >.<

Take a look at the pre-release screenshot, the details is sucks and the movement of model is sucks. I am sure the HL2 we are playing is the best.
Nonetheless, why Valve cut off the green-shirt Zombie???

bbson_john said:
Take a look at the pre-release screenshot, the details is sucks and the movement of model is sucks. I am sure the HL2 we are playing is the best.
Nonetheless, why Valve cut off the green-shirt Zombie???

Lol, they are not zombies.. they used to be citizens, people. They do look like zombies though :LOL:

Those screens look like crap. Perhaps your computer just isn't good enough? ;)

The graphics didn't look as good, but the gameplay seemed better. The SMG1 was quite good in the trailers, it had lots of recoil and took enemies down in a few hits. Now it just seems like a pea shooter.

Also, the AI always looked better in the trailers. I mean, Half Life 2's AI is nothing compared the the former game.

Hullu said:
the former game= trailers...?
I suppose that was ambigious. I was actually referring to HL1, but the trailers were quite good as far as the AI was concerned too.

drunkymonkey said:
I suppose that was ambigious. I was actually referring to HL1, but the trailers were quite good as far as the AI was concerned too.
Being a coder that's worked with the AI for both games, I know that you're wrong.

-Angry Lawyer

ríomhaire said:
Oh shut up. Harder to kill != Better AI
Not necessarily. They could have more hit points, and a better weapon, but still be stupid.

drunkymonkey said:
Not necessarily. They could have more hit points, and a better weapon, but still be stupid.
That's exactly my point. != means does NOT equal
HL1 soldiers are harder, HL2 are smarter.

The soldiers in HL2 are stupid but those guys in HL 1 were even stupider:LOL: , so I guess the AI development has still got a long way to go before we get smart opponents.

DeusExMachina said:
For me it would :).

Are you sure? You never actually played alot of the cut content, would it really make it better? That which you've only read about and seen?

ríomhaire said:
That's exactly my point. != means does NOT equal
HL1 soldiers are harder, HL2 are smarter.
No they're not. Half Life 2 soldiers don't hide when being shot at. They don't attack you in formation, and they don't provide covering fire. Half Life 1 soldiers do.

drunkymonkey said:
No they're not. Half Life 2 soldiers don't hide when being shot at. They don't attack you in formation, and they don't provide covering fire. Half Life 1 soldiers do.
I'm not arguing this crap again. Listen to Lawyer, he knows code.

No doubt the beta screens seem better. They seem better because they're unknown and mysterious. I bet that if we had played those scenes had been the final product and the current ones were the beta, we'd think the "current" content was better. Some of the stuff might have actually improved the game for some people, but I trust Valve didn't remove content because they thought the game was too good; they removed it because they felt doing so made the game better.

ríomhaire said:
I'm not arguing this crap again. Listen to Lawyer, he knows code.
I don't need to be able to work with code to see that the AI on one game is better. The Combine soldiers just run at you, and apart from a few set pieces, don't seem that bothered about hiding and crap, so they don't bother. If you shoot one, he won't run off to find his buddies, or some cover, he'll just keep shooting like hell.
With Half Life One, it was different, and they chucked grenades a lot more, backed each other up, and tried to flank you.
Having played both games to death, I can safely say that I definitely think Half Life's is better.

Langolier said:
No doubt the beta screens seem better. They seem better because they're unknown and mysterious. I bet that if we had played those scenes had been the final product and the current ones were the beta, we'd think the "current" content was better. Some of the stuff might have actually improved the game for some people, but I trust Valve didn't remove content because they thought the game was too good; they removed it because they felt doing so made the game better.
I agree to some extent, but the decision to make the smg1 crap was one that shouldn't have been made. I also liked the CoD weapon swap idea.

HL1 AI is retarded who the **** stands 2 foot away from some one and shot, thats not formation thats having a death wish, them basterds would hunt you down with a USP even if you had a RPG thay would stand 2 foot away, HL2 AI is much beter they run from grenades and duck in and out of cover. HL1 AI is harder to kill and makes you think "Well thats real" HL2 AI is easyer but is more life like and makes you think "Wow what was that" and if you think HL2 AI is the retarded one "Play it on HARD"

Sparda said:
HL1 AI is retarded who the **** stands 2 foot away from some one and shot, thats not formation thats having a death wish, them basterds would hunt you down with a USP even if you had a RPG thay would stand 2 foot away, HL2 AI is much beter they run from grenades and duck in and out of cover. HL1 AI is harder to kill and makes you think "Well thats real" HL2 AI is easyer but is more life like and makes you think "Wow what was that" and if you think HL2 AI is the retarded one "Play it on HARD"
I dunnowho stands 2 foot away from someone and shoots? The Combine soldiers? They certainly do a lot of that, in my humble opinion.
Of course they would stand two feet away if you had an RPG, that way you wouldn't try to shoot them, because you'd blow up yourself as well.
In Hl1 they run from grenades and duck in and out of cover, more so than the cocky combine, who don't bother. HL2 Ai does not make you think more than HL1 AI, mainly because in Half Life 2, they tend to charge you and stand infront of you firing. They don't bother running off when you shoot them. And they stand next to explosive barrels. I mean, WTF mate?

Azner said:
Theres something wth the pic...who are those ppl running...
They look horrible, whoever they are.

drunkymonkey said:
They also don't put grenades at their feet and duck, watching the explosion from a very close perspective

Veotax said:
They also don't put grenades at their feet and duck, watching the explosion from a very close perspective
Occasionally the AI is questionable, but very rarely. Most of the time, it is very engrossing.

Back