was this gun cut

yeah it was only in the beta version of the game.. but they took it out.. dunno why though..it was replaced by the MP7

head_crabs stop opsessing on what was taken out of the game and focus on what's in it

also in the screenies that everyone has seen.......was the plasma arm looking thing stabbing the guy acualy in the game or just the beta also??

You got to admit, they removed some pretty sweet stuff from the final. I would've LOVED to play on that boat. *prays for another chapter release* ^_^

Things in those screens cut:
OICW (Gun with the big scope)
Borealis (The boat levels)
The Hydra

Thats all i can see/think of. They cut it for a reason, get over it. :)

also in the screenies that everyone has seen.......was the plasma arm looking thing stabbing the guy acualy in the game or just the beta also??

That was the Hydra. Although it was really cool and took some guy forever to make, it was eventually cut out because of what made it so cool.

Essentially, it was a stealth enemy. It would slither around silently behind you and then suddenly kill you in one hit. It was awesome to watch some poor patroling Elite get impaled, or some oblivious Civil Patrolman firing at you suddenly get the shaft.

The problem was that it was annoying as hell and impossible to predict the first time any given Hydra got YOU. So you would be walking... die all of a sudden, reload and know where the thing is and kill it quickly. Not a very cool enemy, gameplay wise.

yeh i see how that would work badly......but maybe it couldve not killed u in 1 hit

the bump mapping on the face's of character's changed, its hardly noticeable in the old screens, it makes Alyx look really young. , character clothing changed, it was all promotional stuff, but I think what everyone experianced is attachment to the what we first saw + liked , going on the feeling gamers got from the E32003 vids which where around for a long time before it was released, without much material bridging the gap. It had a fresh feel and look in 2004, and the game was refined through playtesting.. obviously they felt it wouldnt add anything to the gameplay, or funfactor, infact I agree and see why, you could pick people off from a fair distance with that rifle easily, which doesnt encourage close combat , and Half lifes close combat is what makes it fun, keeping the weapon would most likely encourage repetition, sitting at a distance and camping, reducing hectic fun, memorable fights.

I think the Hydra would have been cool that if it snuck up behind you and stabbed you from behind you would see the tentacle sticking out through you, then it would slide back out. Then you would turn around and crowbar it to death :)

But it wouldnt...you'd just see it coming then you are dead lol...thats no fun at all thus we have no hydra.

The OICW was in the bugbait video, well a version of it. Its a pointless gun. Short range does EXACTLY the same as the mp7, the scope...well why not just use the crossbow, its more fun n all.

MarcoPollo said:

It was called a hydra, and yes, it was taken out of the game.

Then you would turn around and crowbar it to death...

How would you do that? Stick the crowbar through the hole going through your chest cavity and try and hit the hydra with it as you collapse to the ground?

But it wouldnt...you'd just see it coming then you are dead lol...

I think you would have seen it going through your chest... or from below your HUD, anyway. Of course, you'd be dead, but it would be a cool death.

It was called a hydra, and yes, it was taken out of the game.
Nothing escapes this man!

Another reason they took the OICW out, is because the OICW project in real life was scrapped, and it wouldn't make sense to have the OICW in the world at the time of half life 2.

^more or less, waht's the name for the other gun they replaced it wiht, it's esentialy the same.

The OICW was scrapped becasue it's 20mm ammo cartridge was placed so badly that you couldnt fire the weapon prone and it made it cumbersome to use the sights IIRC.

Would be kinda cool if they can throw a update in the game that allows us to mess with the guns and things they deleted...... :dozey:

They were taken out for a reason, Sieg. May as well throw in some other stuff like all those characters that got deleted. Prowlers too.

What would have been cool was having the hydra chasing you down. There would be random eneimies that would be in your way and you would have to blast randomly placed stuff out of your way with the grav gun. That would have been a good use of the hydra.

Problem with the crossbow at long range was that it drops - so u have to compensate by firing above the enemies head, and hopefully getting it right so the bolt drifts down into the enemy. A sniper rifle would have been good - handy in a few situations with dudes far away.

valve sould release the leak on steam to everyone who has bought hl2.. it would kick some serious booty... imo at least

Back