Watch for pink dotted textures!

mayro

Reaction score
I ran the benchmark the first time and everything was fine. I then procedded to try and see how far i could take it. It seems that when you card "atleast the ati9800 pros" certin textures like the floor "not water" or "walls" and also bars seem to get these pink dots or pink lines. I dont know if its texture curoption or whatever but i would assume that that is the way you can tell if you card is running to hot.

Just thought id let you know, if you are seeing pink crap in the VTS its not suppose to be their.

mayro said:
I ran the benchmark the first time and everything was fine. I then procedded to try and see how far i could take it. It seems that when you card "atleast the ati9800 pros" certin textures like the floor "not water" or "walls" and also bars seem to get these pink dots or pink lines. I dont know if its texture curoption or whatever but i would assume that that is the way you can tell if you card is running to hot.

Just thought id let you know, if you are seeing pink crap in the VTS its not suppose to be their.

What driver version? I got the "snow" in D3, supposedly the 4.9 beta drivers fixes that, but I haven't got around to trying...

this happened to me, then i fiddled with some settings (AF level) and restarted steam and it went away.

im using the new 4.8s

I have the 4.9 beta's and a 9600 SE... It happens when I mess around with either the AA or AF... Completely screws the textures, but in the PHL CSS preview they talk about pink MP5's so obviously this is the same bug.

I just don't have AA/AF and it's fine for me :)

These messed up graphics are called "artifacts". They appear in games, and sometimes out of games, when your video card is being stressed to hard or is overheating (usually an effect of OCing w/o good cooling). If you are experiencing this, and you have OCed your card, lower your card's speeds. Do that until you do not experience these artifacts anymore. If you have not OCed your card, try lowering your AA/AF settings a bit.

Surely artifacts shouldn't appear with your graphics card at stock settings? Although I have heard that the 9800pros run very hot...

Folks, you have to remember that this is BETA. That's the whole point of the bug reporting tool in the menu.

czrsink said:
Folks, you have to remember that this is BETA. That's the whole point of the bug reporting tool in the menu.
It's not a bug in the game's code, it a hardware prob

Ah, should've read the post properly.

That's definitely a hardware issue, wonder if he's overclocking the card?

I heard that some 9800pros can run as hot as 80C at stock speeds with stock cooling. Is that hot enough to cause artifacts? Im really new to all this temp monitoring stuff.

If HL2 makes 9800pros run hot enough to get artifacts, people are going to be irritated (unless they OCed, then it's their fault). Im just glad of the VGA Arctic Cooler I ordered...

well... there were issues with AA/AF in the beginning with hl2 right? that's why they couldn't turn it on in the Bink videos.... maybe that's still not worked out correctly...

i often get that too...it's overheating (i think)... how can i tune down my card(radeon 9800 pro)?

pixartist said:
i often get that too...it's overheating (i think)... how can i tune down my card(radeon 9800 pro)?

If you've overclocked it, deoverclock it. If not, you could either underclock it or get better cooling.

I would recommend the VGA Arctic Silencer from the reviews of it i've seen. Takes 80C temps down to 45C (so im told)

Edit: Try putting your hand on the case near where the vid card is. If you burst into flames or your hand melts, it's probably too hot. Or you could put your hand near the card itself. If it feels too hot, it probably is.

Oh, and check your case temperatures if you can.

i got a phat cooler on it and my case is open...perhaps my card is just ****ed up...well it's not that bad...

pixartist said:
i got a phat cooler on it and my case is open...perhaps my card is just ****ed up...well it's not that bad...

Have you overclocked it too much? With a good cooler and open case it shouldn't be running too hot unless you have really high clock and mem speeds.

wow..... i need a PC. by the sounds of it, there's no way my laptop is running this game.

If you haven't overlclocked and you have good cooling it doesn't really sound like a heat problem.

You could always try touching the card or the heatsink to see how hot it is. Underclocking it would make it run slower, not good if you're already at stock speeds.

NB. Not responsible for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree video card burns.

i once tried to overclock...it crashed while doing it :( but it was not saved as far as i remember! i thing i should try it...(if i get more bugs)

I have the same problem with my 9800XT when I mess with the AA/AAF settings. The card is running at 65ºC so it isn't hot at all. Looks like a bug to me. Turning off AA/AAF always fixes it.

I also got these weird artifacts on my second run of the VST after only upping the AA from 2x to 4x. (And MAYBE the AF from 8-16x)
The VST crashed, though, at the moment where the flames appear behind "the Waterboy", so I didn't get my screenshots in time.

Overheating?
Nah.. I run an lidless Shuttle SN45G with a 40cm tablefan blowing directly on the GPU (and past it, through the case sideways), keeping the system temps down in the thirties..
The 9800Pro heatsink just doesn't get hot :)

Feels more like a driver/game issue to me..

Kjetil

My ATI card overheats at factory settings too.

Search google for "atitool" and use that to lower your core clock a little. I should probably send my card back, but they'll only repair it. And I'm not waiting 6 weeks for a replacement.

Atitool does the job for me.

i got no answer from my previous post so i repeat what i said: isn't it a known issue that the source engine exhibits artifact when AA is enabled? i read about it when the first bink videos arrived.... people complained about the 'jaggies' in the bink videos, someone e-mailed gabe about it and that answer came up.

If you get artifacts with a 9800pro
open the computer case and clean it up (esp. the fan).
That worked for my cousin, who was getting white+red dots after 10 minutes in doom3.

Those pink artifacts are NOT because of some hardware issue.

IN SOURCE, A PINK AND BLACK CHECKERBOARD TEXTURE IS USED AS A PLACEHOLDER WHEN A TEXTURE CANNOT BE LOADED FOR SOME REASON, AND THIS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM A SIMPLE TEXTURE YOU NORMALLY SEE OR AS PART OF A PIXEL SHADER INVOLVING A TEXTURE LOOKUP (i.e. a reflection being pink).

I've had it happen to me a couple times in the VST, but most of the time it works.

Cypher19 said:
Those pink artifacts are NOT because of some hardware issue.

IN SOURCE, A PINK AND BLACK CHECKERBOARD TEXTURE IS USED AS A PLACEHOLDER WHEN A TEXTURE CANNOT BE LOADED FOR SOME REASON, AND THIS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM A SIMPLE TEXTURE YOU NORMALLY SEE OR AS PART OF A PIXEL SHADER INVOLVING A TEXTURE LOOKUP (i.e. a reflection being pink).

I've had it happen to me a couple times in the VST, but most of the time it works.

This is true.

i overclocked my rad 9200 to a 9600 se and i only have 1 cheap fan on the 9200 and i get no artifacts

Malfunction said:
These messed up graphics are called "artifacts". They appear in games, and sometimes out of games, when your video card is being stressed to hard or is overheating (usually an effect of OCing w/o good cooling). If you are experiencing this, and you have OCed your card, lower your card's speeds. Do that until you do not experience these artifacts anymore. If you have not OCed your card, try lowering your AA/AF settings a bit.

Expanding that download Motherboard Monitor 5 from www.download.com - this lets you know your case temperatue and CPU temperatue. I got the snow on D3 and so bought a new case and a load of new fans. Water cooling is also on the way.

I got the same when i tryed the VST with aa and af. Plus CS:S wont let me play with AA says its a known bug. I also get "snow" in D3 but its definatly not a heat issue.

it not a heat issue because mine is fine on my 9800xt, besides the native hardware fluxuates clock on my 9800xt if it gets to hot. Just a side not it seems to show these artifacts for me in between cracks in the textures and on the railing in the stress test. I have retried and it works find, im not sure what it is, but one thing is for sure:

THERE PURPLE, NOT PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe im color blind but I already submitted a bug to Valve about this last night.

Back