We can play HL: Deathmatch: Source without preordering HL: E1

How? Where?
I bought the retail version of HL2 on DVD (not the GOTY edition) and didn't get HL:Source and don't see HLDM:Source anywhere :(

They promised that it would be made available to anyone who owns HL:Source, so it appears they've stuck to that promise

hynsey said:
They promised that it would be made available to anyone who owns HL:Source, so it appears they've stuck to that promise
Check Steam now.

I am so glad I looked in this thread, otherwise I never would've checked Steam, and probably wouldn't have for awhile. This is the best news in like...ever. HLDM! The return of the hivehand! :D

Shame Half-Life Source doesn't make itself available to people who pre-order Ep1 and thus have Half-Life Deathmatch Source... It's especially annoying because having HLDMS on your PC forces you to download HLS. They could really have done with making it more compact :/

kupoartist said:
They could really have done with making it more compact :/
It may be more compact for you, but it would be much less compact for anybody who had HL:S and HL:SDM. :hmph:

HLDM is free if you have Half life: source, you don't need Ep1, my step dad has it and has no ep1 anywhere.

ATimson said:
It may be more compact for you, but it would be much less compact for anybody who had HL:S and HL:SDM. :hmph:
BS. HL:SDM is 325 mb. HL Source is 785 megs. 325 megs is not "much less compact" by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, you're getting the wrong idea about how "compact" would be achieved. There should be a shared GCF file for the things in common between HL:S and HL:S DM, then you download what you need on top of that. As it is, I have the entirity of HL:Source which I cannot play. Waste of HDD space, not that HL:S and HL:S DM aren't a total waste of HDD space in their own right...

They should just add HL: Source free to Episode One/HL: SDM owners :)

kupoartist said:
BS. HL:SDM is 325 mb. HL Source is 785 megs. 325 megs is not "much less compact" by any stretch of the imagination.
No, but 1895 MB (admittedly, somewhat less, because map files wouldn't be required--about 150 MB?--but the sounds & textures would be) for both is less than 1110 MB for both as it is now.

Besides, you're getting the wrong idea about how "compact" would be achieved. There should be a shared GCF file for the things in common between HL:S and HL:S DM, then you download what you need on top of that.
That's a good idea in theory. However, since the complete HL:S cache file was already out there, I doubt it's practical. It's possible that Steam allows the necessary operations so that players wouldn't have to redownload the HLS cache, but unlikely (or it should've done the same thing when going from the demo of Shadowgrounds to the full version).

wow, anyone else get disappointed when first playing hl source or hldm dource.
I was expecting the whole graphics to be changed but all they did was change the water and the menu?

Hurrah, I can show off my skills I learnt from badger on Opposing force dm!

Hyp3d said:
wow, anyone else get disappointed when first playing hl source or hldm dource.
I was expecting the whole graphics to be changed but all they did was change the water and the menu?

Disappointment is a time long lost.

Back