"We have no fear" - Vote turnout in Iraq HIGH

Reaction score
Iraqi voter turnout picks up despite violence
Al-Zarqawi group claims attacks on polling stations; 31 killed The Associated Press
Updated: 8:04 a.m. ET Jan. 30, 2005BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqis danced and clapped with joy Sunday as they voted in their country’s first free election in a half-century, defying insurgents who launched deadly suicide bombings and mortar strikes at polling stations. Attacks across the country killed at least 31 people.

After a slow start, men and women in flowing black abayas — often holding babies — formed long lines, although there were pockets of Iraq where the streets and polling stations were deserted. Voters prohibited from using private cars walked, hitched rides on military buses and trucks, and some even carried the elderly in their arms, as officials said turnout appeared higher than expected.

Casting his vote, Interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi called it “the first time the Iraqis will determine their destiny.”

Turnout was brisk in Shiite Muslim and mixed Shiite-Sunni neighborhoods. Even in the small town of Askan in the so-called “triangle of death” south of Baghdad, 20 people waited in line at each of several polling centers. More walked toward the polls.

“This is democracy,” said Karfia Abbasi, holding up a thumb stained with purple ink to prove she had voted.

Officials said turnout appeared higher than expected, although it was too soon to tell for sure. Iraqi officials have predicted that up to 8 million of the 14 million voters — just over 57 percent — would participate.

Al-Zarqawi group claims attacks
A Web site statement purportedly from insurgency leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's group claimed responsibility Sunday for at least four attacks.

The group, Al-Qaida in Iraq, said its "lions" attacked at least four voting centers in Baghdad.

The statement's authenticity could not immediately be verified. It was posted on a Web site noted for carrying militant messages and it was purportedly issued in the name of the group's media coordinator, Abu Maysarah al-Iraqi.

The group claimed to have killed "police, national guards and Americans," without giving specifics. It also claimed responsibility for an attack on the Green Zone, the fortified Baghdad enclave holding the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi government buildings, which it called the "Black Zone."

The group also said it was active in the cities of Mosul, Samarra and Baqouba as well as the Anbar province.

Rumors of impending violence were rife. When an unexplained boom sounded near one Baghdad voting station, some women put their hands to their mouths and whispered prayers. Others continued walking calmly to the voting stations. Several shouted in unison: “We have no fear.”

“Am I scared? Of course I’m not scared. This is my country,” said 50-year-old Fathiya Mohammed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6874656/

Rock on! You go Iraq! Sunni or Shiite!

voter turnout is only 57%

Is only? The US barely hits 60%...

Hell, dont bitch about 'lazy Americans' either. Canadians barely broke 60% too.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/29/canada/turnout040629

Monday's turnout of 60.5 per cent would suggest that only about 13.5 million of the roughly 22.3 million eligible Canadians bothered to exercise their democratic right to choose who they want to govern.

What were you expecting? 80,90, 100%?

I have to admit.... its good news if those figures are trully representative. :) :thumbs:

I hope to god this turns out ok in the end so we argue about something else for a change..

someone has their facts wrong, the sunni's make up 60% of the population, if 4/5 aren't vooting thats at most a 52% turnout, personally i don't care who wins though, the yanks will still be running the country until they sort out the giant shit they dropped on it - this election is one for the media, not for the people:(

someone has their facts wrong, the sunni's make up 60% of the population, if 4/5 aren't vooting thats at most a 52% turnout, personally i don't care who wins though, the yanks will still be running the country until they sort out the giant shit they dropped on it - this election is one for the media, not for the people

You're mistaken, Shiites are the majority...

I hope to god this turns out ok in the end so we argue about something else for a change..

Exactly. Once the representatives are done being voted -- they're going to decide on a government.

seinfeldrules said:
Reports are now coming in on a 72% voter turnout.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145825,00.html

[joke]
since when do you trust exit polls
[/joke]

But in all seriousness, I'm truly glad this went off with such little violence. (I truly expected the bloodiest day yet)... Hopefully the Iraqi's truly had a voice in this election and that life is looking better for those poor war ravaged people. Its about time fate shined favorably for them.

Stern will will be fat on Iraqi Crow today... Tell us if it tastes like chicken Cpt.

All around the country, Iraqis defied threats of violence and cast their votes. An initial estimate of turnout from the Independent Electoral Commission (search) indicated that 72 percent of eligible Iraqi voters had turned out to cast their ballots

lthumb.lon17101301719.iraq_lon171.jpg

yes well the cnn had broadcast 57% this morning but now they say it's 72%

oh and shellback we'll see who's eating crow in 6 months when nothing changes

whoever wins be assured it'll only come with CIA approval ..they've invested way too $ for them to leave the outcome to "chance"

6 Months? This morning we found out that over 10 million Iraqi's told the terrorists and people like you to shove this:

mdf841468.jpg

yes well the cnn had broadcast 57% this morning but now they say it's 72%
Those were the projected numbers stern.

Its good to see you supporting this effort too :rolleyes: , seeing how it is the first time the Iraqi people have been able to hold free elections.

Sgt_Shellback said:
6 Months? This morning we found out that over 10 million Iraqi's told the terrorists and people like you to shove this:

mdf841468.jpg
For God's sake Shellback, could you be a little bit more mature about this?

With regards to the news itself - it's a great thing that lots of Iraqis voted. At least I hope it will prove to be a good thing.
You see the problem is that for decades, this country has not known democracy - some of the people voting will have never been able to vote in their lives, nor will anyone truly be aware of what the parties stand for or how they will act. A lot of this vote may be blind faith and it's certainly possible that another dictatorial regime like Saddam's could conceivably begin again.

I realise I may not be expressing myself particularly well - I've been drinking too much coffee today - but my point stands. Countries that have democracy thrust upon them don't always work out too well.
Of course I hope I'm wrong.

seinfeldrules said:
seeing how it is the first time the Iraqi people have been able to hold free elections.

that hasnt happened yet, nor will it, so long as the coalition is pulling the strings

Yes, plus the elections will be biased so heavily towards the British controlled southern Iraq, it'll be silly, because American forces aren't guarding polling stations very heavily in Baghdad, the worst anti-democracy affected area in Iraq today.

At least be happy democracy is over there for god sakes...doesn't matter what/who is pulling the strings.

Sgt_Shellback said:

ya I'm sure they're really grateful

let's see what some of iraq's political candidates have to say:

"Ghada al Bayaty is a 25 years old politician. She said, "These elections, whatever the outcome, are illegitimate. No one, whether inside or outside, is fooled by the US propaganda. It is horrible to see that, in the name of democracy and meaningless elections, the destruction of Iraq and its people continues unabated."

they sure seem to have a new found confidence that the new government will treat them fairly

Tr0n said:
At least be happy democracy is over there for god sakes...doesn't matter what/who is pulling the strings.

then how is that a democracy?

CptStern said:
ummmm the main sunni party boycotted the election
screw them.

CptStern said:
voter turnout is only 57%

it's higher than that :p

it's a good thing for Iraq and all Iraqis, it's a bad thing you're too blind to admit it.

CptStern said:
that hasnt happened yet, nor will it, so long as the coalition is pulling the strings

so you would say the same for post WWII germany and Japan then too I guess? :rolleyes:

yer really unbelieveable ya know, why do you want freedom to fail in Iraq? I know that you hate being proven wrong, but wishing for millions to remain under the brutal control of sadam or someone like him is appalling.

CptStern said:
then how is that a democracy?
Oh please stern don't start with that crap...even if the strings are pulled so what?

You rather have Saddam back in power?

Just deal with it....oh and welcome to the real world.Every goverment is being controlled by someone else in some way.

We just have to wait and see what happens in Iraq.

sigh ...the days leading up to the invasion I was one of the few who predicted doom and gloom and guess what? I was right ...sorry but I have little faith that the situation will be any better ..the US hs spent way too much money to allow just anyone to take over the country, and the terrorists will never accept that ..there'll be an escalation of violence

Well listen stern...we can't do anything about it.

Just wait and see what happens.

I would rather a goverment be in power over there thats being controlled by ours then saddam.

The reason we went to war was wrong but the outcome is better than the alternative.Now we just have to go with it.

Tr0n said:

I love the lapses in logic.

"You think that democracy in Iraq is a charade, therefore you obviously want Saddam back in power."

IMO, we aren't out of the woods yet. Things could easily go horribly wrong after this. Yeah, I think it could possibly be worse than pre-war Iraq.

Absinthe said:
I love the lapses in logic.

"You think that democracy in Iraq is a charade, therefore you obviously want Saddam back in power."

IMO, we aren't out of the woods yet. Things could easily go horribly wrong after this.
Keyword...Could.

We just have to wait and see...and if it doesn't go right then who knows?

For christ sakes bitching on some forums about what they did is wrong won't change the situation.

Wish you people could see that.

By defending voting stations we are pulling the strings? Come on now, you can do better. Besides, the Iraqi police was supposedly performing much of the defense, with the US forces being a fast response back up if needed.

so you think allawi was appointed intermim prime minister because he was the "right man" for the job?

so you think allawi was appointed intermim prime minister because he was the "right man" for the job?
Many Iraqis support Allawi. They see him as a very tough man who will be willing to get the job done with terrorists. There was a great article about the canidates in the WSJ this week.

so personally executing 6 iraqi prisoners shows a willingness to get the job done?

Tr0n said:
Oh please stern don't start with that crap...even if the strings are pulled so what?
Well, say the strings get pulled in a way that favors current foreign policy of a certain nation and what you result in is a f*ck-up of colossal proportions a few years down the line that the certain string-pulling nation is unwilling to deal with because it's too embarassing. It's happened before. On more than a few occasions.

Tr0n said:
Just deal with it....oh and welcome to the real world.Every goverment is being controlled by someone else in some way.
Which is a good thing how? Why should you tolerate that? And is it better if a country's "strings" are pulled by another country or by greedy big business?

el Chi said:
Well, say the strings get pulled in a way that favors current foreign policy of a certain nation and what you result in is a f*ck-up of colossal proportions a few years down the line that the certain string-pulling nation is unwilling to deal with because it's too embarassing. It's happened before. On more than a few occasions.

Which is a good thing how? Why should you tolerate that? And is it better if a country's "strings" are pulled by another country or by greedy big business?
Ok tell me what should I do then eh?

Bitch and whine on some website and waste my time with something that I can't change?

I can't change it...so I have to tolerate it and anyways I got other things to worry about and deal with.I'm about to go through hell again...so again I got other things to deal with.

For the 2nd thing...somtimes you have to choose the lesser of the two evils.So I'll just leave you with that.

According to Yahoo!, it was more than 57%, but there's no way this early anyone can tell until a few more days. I have no idea where they (Fox) got 72%, or even near that.

This morning, Yahoo! was running the exact same article as FOX.

CptStern said:
so personally executing 6 iraqi prisoners shows a willingness to get the job done?

the geneva convention allows for such treatment of spies/insurgents. too bad for them ;(

seinfeldrules said:
This morning, Yahoo! was running the exact same article as FOX.

I did a search of "72", and this is what I got from the Yahoo! article:

Just before the close, one official with the Independent Electoral Commission of Iraq put turnout at 72 percent, but he later said that did not include the largely Sunni provinces of Anbar and Nineveh, and the commission said the figure was based on "very rough, word-of-mouth estimates."

From one man: very rough, leaving some places out, and word-of-mouth. Three, of course, very accurate methodologies in computations. ;)

Scoobnfl said:
the geneva convention allows for such treatment of spies/insurgents. too bad for them ;(

no, the geneva accords dont "allow" for that ..it just doesnt cover it, there's a big difference

CptStern said:
Its what an Iraqi said. It seems they think he has the best shot of ridding the country of terrorists.

Heh, don't try too hard to compare this to Western voting- remember, this is Iraq's first fair election for decades, so the turn out is representative of those desperate for that freedom and those fearful of terrorist attacks/partaking in a political boycott.

Although few seem to be recognising it as genuine. I still think this will go nowhere fast, thanks to incredible ignorance on all sides.

Refusing to participate in the elections successfully undermines them. They'll be rendered "illegitimate" more by the boycott than the fact they've been arranged by the Coalition. Paradoxical, really.

It's sad because everyone seems to agree that the current Iraqi "placeholder" governing power can't maintain security. So our absence might make more recognise the elections, but as plenty consider the interim PM to be shackled to the US, the attacks and general unrest will continue.

This is an unwinnable war, and I mean that, mostly, in the political sense. We pull out now, some will celebrate, some will curse us for leaving Iraq's physical and governmental structure shattered. The UN will whine that we haven't finished what we started... but considering that we'd never be able to "finish what we started", they've probably got a point, hypocritical as they are.

Today was a victory for Democracy in Iraq... I know the thought of self determination in Iraq is like sour bile to you Left wing wack jobs. But why don't you just stop complaining about it and do something for once? I'm sure the T's could use a few more suicide bombers...

They seem to have come up short today LOL.

Back