Weapons info directly from Valve

Originally posted by stigmata
yes, grabbed it with the manipulator, then threw it with the manipulator, just like in the part with the water heater.
you'll be proven wrong come release day.

Okay, wait just a sec. Read the article (if you have it on hand, if you dont just search for the scans). It doesn't say ANYTHING about the Manipulator in that paragraph, does it? It seems you've missed the entire point to my previous post, which was to point out that that part of the article didn't mention the Manipulator, which means that it's possible and very likely you will be able to pick up any object on the ground and use it as a weapon.
[/QUOTE] just because it doesn't mention the manipulator doesn't mean that that isn't what they were using to pick up the objects.. it makes much more sense if the weapon exists, to use that instead of some extremely processor dependent technology to use your hands to pick up objects.

If it were *that* processor-dependant and put *that much* load on the processor, Valve wouldn't have put it in. They use the exact same tech for all walking animations for all NPC's. I've read about Inverse Kinematics, and for a leg with 3 joints (hip, knee, ankle) there are about four calculations. Two legs, that's eight calc's. If there are 5 enemies on the screen, thats 40 calcs. And there was no video lag or anything. Doubling that by use of two hands to pick up a chair (thats 4 calcs/finger, 10 fingers) would not cause much lag.

The paragraph in PC Gamer is ambiguous. It could be talking about picking up objects with the manipulator- although it doesn't mention the manipulator/gravity gun at all in that paragraph. It could also be talking about picking up objects by hand somehow. I really don't know, just speculating (that's what we're all doing here).

About the IK, I don't know all that much about it, or how processor-dependent it would be. It would be cool if it did use it, but it seems it to my untrained brain that it would be more complicated than the shifting balance on three points the Strider uses. Different objects have to be held in different ways, depending on size, shape, mass, center of gravity, rigidity, etc. Ever tried picking up a mattress? Bit different than a brick or a coke can.

About the IK, I don't know all that much about it, or how processor-dependent it would be. It would be cool if it did use it, but it seems it to my untrained brain that it would be more complicated than the shifting balance on three points the Strider uses. Different objects have to be held in different ways, depending on size, shape, mass, center of gravity, rigidity, etc. Ever tried picking up a mattress? Bit different than a brick or a coke can.
Still, it can't put that big of a load on the processor. They do use it to animate the Strider, just imagine the insane model clipping that would happen without it. It's also used to animate every other NPC, just so they have both (or all four) feet on the ground, and not in or above it.

About the different objects: I can see why it seems like a big complicated thing to hold a chair or something. Simply put, you (Freeman in-game) just have to grab the object and balance it. A small brick or pipe would be grabbed with one hand, the pipe being held near the end and held like the crowbar. A chair or barrel (zombies can throw barrels) would be held and balanced with two hands due to its size and weight. But something like a mattress is just too big and cumbersome. Ever try throwing a mattress at someone? ;)

I guess you'll be able to pick up small objects and throw/drop them
but I doubt you'll see the hands... it'll probably be like pushing a box in HL1 but a bit more flexible

Originally posted by howser
I guess you'll be able to pick up small objects and throw/drop them
but I doubt you'll see the hands... it'll probably be like pushing a box in HL1 but a bit more flexible

This seems more like what they would do. why would u want a manipulator if you could use your hands.;(

http://www.hl2.co.nz/

Look at the first news article :D these guys are onto it

[EDIT] - I just realised Snark^ posted that article... SNARK!!! You never said you were a NZer?? Where u at bruther ^_^

with the power of the manipulater and freemans hands what would you want? Gordon cant rip a heater off a wall and then slame it into a combine troop at high speeds he's gona be a bit weaker.... maybe he can push crates n hold up bits of metal for protection.
On that note you know the bit where he uses the gravity gun on the heater and slames it into that combine troop.... ive seen it in articles and heard it on a video they refer to the people he is fighting on that scene as zombies- strange- anyone know why this is?

Ever try throwing a mattress at someone?

Yes, It didn't go so well, It fell flat on the floor infront of me, they don't seem to fly that well...and it was damn hard to get grip good enough to attempt :p

ive seen it in articles and heard it on a video they refer to the people he is fighting on that scene as zombies- strange- anyone know why this is?

I saw that too. There have been a lot of laughably inaccurate accounts of those vids. Probably because the people who wrote about them only got to see the vids once before the wrote, in the middle of a day in which they saw lots of other things. So their memories are a little shoddy.

Originally posted by Bad^Hat
http://www.hl2.co.nz/

Look at the first news article :D these guys are onto it

[EDIT] - I just realised Snark^ posted that article... SNARK!!! You never said you were a NZer?? Where u at bruther ^_^

I'm just lurking on here waiting to steal news from whoever posts it first... :) All's unfair in love and HL2 news, Brother Brutha.

Back