Weekly Steam News (27/05/05)

Reaction score
Valve have released a warning via the weekly steam news, about stolen Steam user accounts. Here's the message in full:

We've seen an increase lately in the number of unscrupulous people acquiring Steam accounts (and access to Steam games) by stealing them from other users. These people accomplish their theft by simply asking legitimate users for their login information. This practice is known as "Phishing," and is found to some extent in nearly all online account-based systems.

<p>By posing as a Steam official in an email message, or sometimes by pretending to be a helpful user who wants to "trade" one account for another, the thieves are often able to convince people to divulge their user name and password.

<p>We know how frustrating it is to have your account stolen. As much as we can, we want to put a stop to this practice. To do that, we need your help -- please keep the following in mind:

<p>Your Steam ID and password are confidential information. A Valve employee will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or email message. Do not respond to any message that asks for your password. Here is some more information about protecting your account.

<p>In the meantime, happy gaming.

To view the update yourself, restart your Steam client.

News Flash:

Retards scammed out of their money.
World doesn't care. Capitolism continues successfully.
For more on this story, turn to page A13

Indeed, the same came through my mind Zodiak, they just had to scrape something decent for a week which followed a week where Valve just didnt do anything (its harsh on Valve, but im lovin every word)...

News just in: Scams are bad.

Meanwhile, valve have been busy.

why in the hell can't I connect to the friggin VAC servers!!!!

I'm not calling people that accidentally gave their password away stupid...
I am calling them mentally challenged. I would never give away my account name "Thepwninizer" and especially not my password "gabe"
By the way, I made that up, if you don't get it.

Yup, here's one dude who's password was stolen. But god damn i didnt gave it to anyone!!! So dont judge ppl before you know things. I dunno how did that hacker solve my password. And he did it twice!!! Freaking hackers... :frown:

Still, cause valve is so good company they gave me new passwords. And now i can play again.

Lol its probably one of your 'friends' put a keylogger on your pc

Underhill[FIN] said:
Whats that?

Its a program that logs every key you press, then either sends it to an email address or saves it on that computer in a specified location to be picked up later.

I'd hate to be someone trawling through my inane crap keyboard typage to get to passwords etc :p

"Warning: If you're an idiot, your account will be stolen!"

If this was Fark.com, this Steam news would get an "Obvious" tag.

WritingARequiem said:
I'm not calling people that accidentally gave their password away stupid...
I am calling them mentally challenged.

Ahahah, man, you're evil :lol: :lol:

oldagerocker said:
I'd hate to be someone trawling through my inane crap keyboard typage to get to passwords etc :p

Keyloggers recognise where the content is being put into and singles it out from the rest of the text. :afro:

EDIT: I thought you were Danimal! :LOL:

Well.. You guys can laugh.. But keep in mind that hackers dont need to ask your password to get it. It may happen to you and i can tell you IT SUCKS!! :|

And I didnt give my password to anyone, it had numbers and it was hard to guess. They still stoled it twice! (I have firewall, ad-aware and stuff)

So keep laughing... :|

I never understand people who are picking on Valve. They are whining like this: "Valve fix this, Valve fix my ass"
But in the meanwhile they:
1 Don't have any Valve games
2 They play only Valve games

You guys are always whining and whining and whining , but you won't stop playing -x-

Valve wins

Underhill[FIN] said:
Yup, here's one dude who's password was stolen. But god damn i didnt gave it to anyone!!! So dont judge ppl before you know things. I dunno how did that hacker solve my password. And he did it twice!!! Freaking hackers... :frown:

Still, cause valve is so good company they gave me new passwords. And now i can play again.

Keeping your computer clean of for example spyware and other crap will help as well. There are Keyloggers out there that record your keystrokes and retrieve your usernames and passwords that way. (example of course).
So by now it should be common sense to everyone that stores private information on a online computer, should protect themselves.

He said he's got "firewall, Ad-aware and everything". Probably was some "friend" that stole it. Or so he stored the password on his computer in some txt file and had it shared on a peer-to-peer program. The chance of a roxxorhaxxor getting its way into your computer is very small, because even if he/she was just breaking through random person's security, the odds that it's your computer is small; and let's not talk about that what the hacker actually sought probably isn't there. "Man, I want a HL2 password. I'll just go check random computers!"
They could somehow get info from Valve's database, but I think we would have noticed by now.

I don't type my password in. It automatically sends it in without my having to type anything.

And. I don't have any keyloggers on my system. I keep my box nice and clean. (except for the dust)

Stupid People

You people are all stupid. You dont have to give out your information to get jacked. Hackers (not wall hackers) real hackers can easily crack your passwords. Trust me steam gammers have the easyist damn passwords. DO NOT USE THESE PASSWORDS:
american
press
batman
gansta
halflife
Steam

Those are all very easy to crack. Also dont download hack programs cause they might actually be a 'hack' for the programmer who wrote it to steal your account without you even doing a thing. Trust me i know.

Back