Weird bug, or possibly someone 'hacked' me?

Mac

Reaction score
I was playing in a css server and I think some admins of the server were on too. anyway, all of a sudden, while I was in the middle of playin on de_dust, some of my keys got rebinded. My primary fire got rebinded so that is said "bang!" every time i pressed it, and some other buttons were messed with too. had to spend some time re-configuring my keys.

A clanmate of mine said that there is a program where admins can completely change your keys and other settings in cs:s

so just beware of it i guess.

Admins have been able to change your controls for years now.

And how exactly does that benefit the average end-user of CS Source?

admin_execclient "name" "consolecommand"

for example admin_execclient "n00b!!11" "quit" = shuts players half life

(Tho that was in admin mod for half-life 1, damn i had great fun playing around with it ^^)

yeah its been available for a few years...but that doesn't mean its right.
i think Valve need to address this issue.
if a player is cheating/hacking.. fine, kick or perma ban them but messing with keys? hmm...i think admins stoop to the cheater's level using that command.

Make a copy of your config.cfg, name it configbak.cfg and then bind an obscure key to it:
bind "," "exec configbak.cfg"
So assuming the guy dosen't rebind your "," key, he can change it as much as he likes and you can change it back at the press of a button.

Although I think my all time favorite, one that my old clan leader liked to use on us was:
admin_execclient "Link" "bind mouse1 kill"
oh the hilarity :angry: :flame:

yeah a few days ago i was on a server, playing my usual game, helping the team out, the opposing team had some really great players and this admin dude kept shouting at me to check my rates "RATES!!111??"

SO.

i checked them they were fine.

101 101 and 22000.

so he was like AHAH !!! you have 22000, and i'm like yeah so wtf does it matter its only 3000.

you dont see the ****ing difference, so he chucked a command at me and redone my rates to 444 243 93652

(serious wtf is your problem)

so i checked the server name, oh HOHOHO (santa claus laugh) this was going to be good, found out it was one of my friends servers i had magically found myself on (well he does have a good 60 of the buggers)

so i msg'd him and dropped the admin who was playing with me a little note.

hah, exiles gonna be mad at you.

"you know exile ???"

"oyston ? why yes i do "

*reset rates to normal*, carry on raping, amen.

they shouldnt be allowed to do it,simple as that.

Mac said:
I was playing in a css server and I think some admins of the server were on too. anyway, all of a sudden, while I was in the middle of playin on de_dust, some of my keys got rebinded. My primary fire got rebinded so that is said "bang!" every time i pressed it, and some other buttons were messed with too. had to spend some time re-configuring my keys.

A clanmate of mine said that there is a program where admins can completely change your keys and other settings in cs:s

so just beware of it i guess.

roflmao @ bang

You can use Link's solution, however there is another.

Change your config to read only. Find it in \SteamApps\USERNAME\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg right click on it>properties and check read only, This might mean you cannot change settings yourself from ingame now, I am not sure.

I've heard stories of admins killing players who are doing well, or are about to defuse the bomb, etc.

One of my friends got kicked and banned from a clan server because he had a better score than them. They claimed he was camping, autosniping, everything. He was actually on their team.

Admins are supposed to be people you can trust, and who play fair. Someone told me that they liked playing on our clans' server because normally there would be an admin online to kick trouble makers and stuff.

I can understand slaying someone who's hiding or something and prolonging the time til the next respawn, but changing keys around and harassing players. :angry:

:sniper: ------> :dork:

Bah, i thought this was real funny. if an admin changed my mousebutton 1 to say "Bang!" i'd laugh. We need more funny admins :)

FearoftheDomoKun said:
Bah, i thought this was real funny. if an admin changed my mousebutton 1 to say "Bang!" i'd laugh. We need more funny admins :)
Funny admins are good, so long as they only do things when it won't affect the outcome of the game.

I'm admin of our clan server, and it's great when our clan leader sets the gravity to 200, and then waits for one of our regulars to jump, then sets the gravity to 25000. Oh the hillarity.

I have GOT to try out this admin_execclient "Link" "bind mouse1 kill" thing... nice one.

Edit: the admin_execclient "Link" "bind mouse1 kill" doesn't work. It says it can't find admin_execclient

switch said:

Change your config to read only. Find it in \SteamApps\USERNAME\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg right click on it>properties and check read only, This might mean you cannot change settings yourself from ingame now, I am not sure.

This didnt work. I went to the same server that had the admins that did it before, and they were still able to change my binds, after i changed it to read only.

Two solutions.

1.) Dont play on that server anymore.
2.) Hunt down and brutally murder the admins to the server.

dekstart put "allow_client_exec 1" into the server console first, then do it :)

*Edit - Oh, and make sure you use the players name you want to get in place of "link". Or the steam ID should work...

switch said:

They will still be able to change your config whilst still in game but it wont be permanent as the actualy .cfg file will not be written to so all you have to do is type exec config.cfg in console to get it back.

I realised last night where unbinding someone's keys could be useful.

If someone comes on the server and starts spamming racist crap or whatever, chances are they have keys bound to say certain things.

Unbinding their keys would shut them up for a bit.

You need an admin mod to be able to do it with Source. But yea, I thought it was crazy too when I found out it was an option. I use it sometimes to fix my clammates rates for them, or most commonly, to rebind peoples console key if they cant get it to work (non English keyboards etc). Even at that, I feel it is too powerfull and open to misuse so I'd be happier if it wasnt an option. I've heard stories about admins changing peoples mouse speeds who were kicking their ass, just a little, so they dont notice but enough to throw off their aim :S

With the plugin I use on my servers you can restrict this function per Steamid, so you can have admins, but they cant execute commands on clients. I restricted it from all the admins except myself, just so I know theres no messing about going on.

Link said:
dekstart put "allow_client_exec 1" into the server console first, then do it :)

*Edit - Oh, and make sure you use the players name you want to get in place of "link". Or the steam ID should work...
Ta for that tip Link. I'm gonna try it out on a few clan mates now :)

I did not find this allow_client_exec 1
I did find was AllowExecClient 1

Link said:
Make a copy of your config.cfg, name it configbak.cfg and then bind an obscure key to it:
bind "," "exec configbak.cfg"
So assuming the guy dosen't rebind your "," key, he can change it as much as he likes and you can change it back at the press of a button.

Although I think my all time favorite, one that my old clan leader liked to use on us was:
admin_execclient "Link" "bind mouse1 kill"
oh the hilarity :angry: :flame:

How do you exactly do that binding thing, i get the part from kopien and renaming, but do you open the gfc and type in there what you need or bind it from ingame, and how would you do that?

Open config.cfg in notepad and there will be a pile of binds, 1 after the other. At the bottom, put:
bind "," "exec configbak.cfg
obviously you can replace the comma key with any convinient key you like. Save and close and it should work as soon as you load the game

I still can't get the rebind admin thingy to work :(

When I put in the one you say to do first, unless I put "rcon" before it, it says that it can't find the command. Same with the other one in fact :(

I want to have fun :(

Back