Well I was wrong!

johnstone

Reaction score
After all my moaning about how Valve were turining into Microsoft and needing an internet connection etc etc to install the game, I now realise why!

I finaly got HL2 last night and setup my modem and internet account. Popped the cd into the computer and went through the install process and oh my god!

How clever is the steam delivery system? A brilliant secure and stable peice of software that not only is going to change the face of games but is a revolutionary piece of software.

What I didn't realises was that the files on the retail CD were useless until you authenticated and updated HL2 over steam. A brilliant idea and it works so well. OK it took a while to Install, but thats down to the fact I was using a dial up modem.

All in all a brilliant way to install games in the long run. Well done Valve.

I apologise for my negativity!

By the time I installed the game it was 11.30 and i had work the next day, but got a good 1/2 hour of gameplay and was stunned to say the least.....superb atmosphere and physics......worth the wait? Damn right! :cheers:

Yeah, even tough it took awhile to unlock the files, I think it was worth it. From what i've heard there aren't any working warez versions of the game out.

MaxiKana said:
Yeah, even tough it took awhile to unlock the files, I think it was worth it. From what i've heard there aren't any working warez versions of the game out.
I've heard a number of times that there are...
I've been trying to find something to disable the auth and cd check for me (just cause I like to disable them so I can start up whenever and not go find my disc...or if the internet went down, as I'm not sure offline is quite working yet for me)

Just let things settle down, and Steam will go back to running perfectly. I think it's a great interface, and makes Valve's updates oh so much easier to take in.

Yep. Steam is awesome. I've never had any problems with it. I loved being able to buy half life 2 long before It came out and the preloading was great. There was just no way that I could wait for it to arrive in stores and have to go out and get it. Screw the box art, just let me play the GAME!

Half-Life 2 has a strange effect on people. Most people don't seem to want to warez it, even if they can. I was talking to some people who are usually warez whores who are buying it or have bought it.

I suppose that's what happens when you make a game that's genuinely worth it.

Well a warez version is out. I know this for a fact cause a co-worker of mine downloaded it the other night. Seems they found a way to get around the steam authentication :(

Was always going to happen, but Valve have made a fortune as no illegal copies were made before, during or just after release.....by this time most people will have bought the game......Anyone who buys the game now probably just adds to valves already big profit.

Back