Went to the halflife 2 softimage event tonight

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
It was pretty cool, they really eloborated on the normal mapping movie and showed us the entire process of getting a normal map into a world texture in the halflife 2 engine,, they also showed us the process of making layered HL2 textures (example was getting rust patches to block a reflectivity map,, looked very nice), as an in depth look at the facial animation stuff

I did get to see some stuff that wasnt in any of the movies or pics released,, but they were basically parts of the city map and the normal map example map that weren't seen on the video

as for the SDK (or in their case,, softimage EXPHL2 included with the sdk), they could only say soon,,,, soon,,, soon,, (lol I'm going nuts :D)

they could only say soon... soon... soon
Hmmm... I know there was something I was going to say to that. What was it? Oh yeah...

[size=+3]WOOHOO![/size]

if they are doing shows that must mean the sdk must be in the next couple of months , i still believe the release will be april other wise why would they do these?

Where did you find out about this show? i thought that the only one announced so far was at GDC?

im guessing sdk w/in the next 2-3 weeks, which is good news. you know were excited when that tiny new pic and even just some news about the sdk gets us wound up. i know im pretty damn excited.

oh yeah. i forgot, what new kind of stuff did you see for the facial animation? and did the game look any better/ any new improvements that you could notice?

we can only hope my friends :/ but chances are of it comin out soon are NIL if you ask me :( *crys in corner*

Shinobi said:
vancouver canada

Damnit!!!!!!! If I knew it was going to be here in my hometown, I woulda been there for sure!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet, there's a chance that the SDK will be released "soon soon soon". Maybe in like the end of March? If it comes out then, then maybe the game won't be far away and come out at beggining-mid June.

Oh yeah and stay in that corner you crybaby (j/k) :p

kaf11 said:
oh yeah. i forgot, what new kind of stuff did you see for the facial animation? and did the game look any better/ any new improvements that you could notice?

oh I forgot to mention that valve refused to give anyone the new engine (from what I heard after the show) the build they had was 2 months old,,

as for the facial animation, we went through a ton of rigging and animations sequences for alyx and got to see the HL2 model viewer work with facial animations,, they showed about 40,,, even when the facial animations weren't belended they still looked rediculously impressive

one other thing is the facial animations look WAY better in motion,, I remember not being that impressed when I saw the pics up close,, but after seeing the in moption .... :D

wow, thats actually good news thats they didnt show an improved source. that leads me to believe that theyll wait until e3 to show off all of their progress since the last videos weve seen.

Yeayyyyyy! This is great...but, I don't think It means halflife is going to come out anytime soon. Dont forget that Valve said soon alittle over a month a go. Hmmm, so soon must mean another month and maybe 2 weeks so ..that will... put us into APRIL!!!! Oh wait, april isn't in the summer, lol.
Anywho, thats some good news...by the way anyone notice that 56 people are browsing the HL2 Discussion forums? Thats the most we've had in a while....from what I've seen

Although I like good news as much as the other person I have some questions. Why did they hold this event in Vancouver ? Where exactly was this event ? Why does the title say went to see {whatever } tonight. Your using past and future tense in the same sentance.

Why did you get to go ? Were people takeing pictures? / If so where can we find them. Do you know the reason why they can't release this modding tool right away? If they have it at the event why can't they just give it out right away?

I am skeptical.

wonkers said:
Although I like good news as much as the other person I have some questions. Why did they hold this event in Vancouver ? Where exactly was this event ? Why does the title say went to see {whatever } tonight. Your using past and future tense in the same sentance.

Why did you get to go ? Were people takeing pictures? / If so where can we find them. Do you know the reason why they can't release this modding tool right away? If they have it at the event why can't they just give it out right away?

I am skeptical.

what he said ^^^^^^^^ ;)

Okay, no offense or any thing but I can come to his defense about one item...
Went to see {whatever} tonight
Look at the time of his post....
When you tell someone about something you did that day you can say; "Today I was walking, blah, blah, blah"

He probably posted as soon as he got home from the event

Alrighty...well....hmmmm...as for the other things....I've got nothing

did anyone take a video while u were there....dude i want to see new pics and/or anything...or any media!!!

Vancouver is the video game capitol of Canada, we have tonnes of companies making games here all the time, so to think its a random place to hold the event...well...your ignorant.

wow, thats actually good news thats they didnt show an improved source. that leads me to believe that theyll wait until e3 to show off all of their progress since the last videos weve seen

Talk about makeing me want E3 to be put forward a few months :eek: you know your not doing anything for my patience here ;)

I think ill end this post with some important spam:
I want this game
I want this game
I want this game
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

ok people are questioning on whether I was actually there?

sigh

ok I said "went tonight" because I had gotten back 30 mins before I posted (around 10pm)

here's and exact quote from the email I got

Come to the next session of the Vancouver XSI User Group, where you can learn how SOFTIMAGE|XSI is being used to create stunning real-time graphics for the soon-to-be-released Half-Life 2 from Valve Software, and find out more about XSI's unique realtime shader materials and texturing system for game content creation.

Date & Time: Monday, Feb 23 7:00 PM
Address: 3700 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2
I had to register,, that quote was 2 emails put together

wonkers said:
Although I like good news as much as the other person I have some questions. Why did they hold this event in Vancouver ? .

Canadian company, and valve is also 3 hours south of here

SOFTIMAGE (HEADQUARTERS)

3510 St-Laurent Blvd
Montreal
H2X 2V2 Canada

Phone: (514)845-1636
Fax: (514)845-5676

lol when they loaded the Alyx model, her eyes were reversed cross-eyed,, look freakin hilarious :D

I also got an envelope of softimage postcards and a DVD of the latest SIGGRAPH

Ok, forgive me if I'm late but I havn't been able to check the forums in the last day or 2, so let me just say W00T!

There is suposed to be a movie of the presentation online soon

nc17 said:
There is suposed to be a movie of the presentation online soon

W00T!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be great, another 600mb vid to warm our hearts for it.....

I heard they are going to a few other cities too,, try signing up in the softimage users group and see if they are coming to your town

Shinobi, I always believed you. Honestly!

Video? Oh gosh! When? it's 2/25/04 and that was how many days ago? we should have it soon right?

Im glade there may be another movie to watch but id rather gets some hands on training lol.

Woot !!!

This is good news anyways we are getting closer ;)

Did you guys not see ? Ive already posted links to download the videos, lol

Because, Franky, the ones you posted are from ages ago. They're the "Alyx" and "Wall" videos. Old stuff.

Back