What are these screenshots actually from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear I've seen these before. No doubt they're fake.

lots of those are concept arts.

the 2nd to last is very very old and very very fake.

Could be concept. No way are they in-engine, they totally lack the Source look we're so familiar with.

I've seen them before. They've been posted here. They're just renders with a HL2 logo slapped on.

Aren't those photos of an underground tunnel being built somewhere in central Europe?

Aren't those photos of an underground tunnel being built somewhere in central Europe?

Underground tunnel? What a redundant phrase. Where else is the tunnel going to be dug - above ground? Thats as stupid as saying "an underwater submarine" etc. HAhahahaha.

Underground tunnel? What a redundant phrase. Where else is the tunnel going to be dug - above ground? Thats as stupid as saying "an underwater submarine" etc. HAhahahaha.

Someone hasn't heard of space tunnels...

I guess you're not familiar with the Gerrard's Cross project. Two train tunnels built above the ground for a supermarket to be built on top of. Only problem was it collapsed.

gerrardscrosstunnelcollapseJohnnyGreenPAAAAA.jpg

There's this too, looks above ground to me.

Abbots%20Cliffe%20Rail%20Tunnel%20Portal.JPG

I guess you're not familiar with the Gerrard's Cross project. Two train tunnels built above the ground for a supermarket to be built on top of. Only problem was it collapsed.

gerrardscrosstunnelcollapseJohnnyGreenPAAAAA.jpg

There's this too, looks above ground to me.

You're an idiot. The purpose of a tunnel is to create a pathway UNDER or THROUGH something. A "tunnel" on top of the ground is called a ROAD, and it has no walls or roof. Thus making it NOT a tunnel. People don't just go around making walls and roofs over roads or rail tracks for the fun of it. You saying "There's this too, looks above ground to me" about that pic you posted shows just how stupid you are. CLEARLY it is going UNDER the side of that hill, and even common sense should have told you people don't just go around making walls and roofs over roads or rail tracks for the fun of it.

well this thread sure derailed.....or should i say tunneled off?

You're an idiot. The purpose of a tunnel is to create a pathway UNDER or THROUGH something. A "tunnel" on top of the ground is called a ROAD, and it has no walls or roof. Thus making it NOT a tunnel. People don't just go around making walls and roofs over roads or rail tracks for the fun of it. You saying "There's this too, looks above ground to me" about that pic you posted shows just how stupid you are. CLEARLY it is going UNDER the side of that hill, and even common sense should have told you people don't just go around making walls and roofs over roads or rail tracks for the fun of it.

I actually agree with this man.

Why would you even nit-pick in the first place then?

Mc Bane = troll, do not feed him.

Definitely fake stuff, they have nothing to do with Half-Life or Valve.

Unfortunately I couldn't resist responding to a poster with this magnitude of both ignorance and rudeness. While you say, in your post, that the tunnel is going under the side of the hill, that does not mean it is necessarily going underground. Underground itself has its own definition:

Definitions of underground on the web said:
beneath the surface of the earth; "water flowing underground"

Source

If we built a bridge over water for traffic and pedestrians to pass over, we wouldn't say that the water is flowing underground. Rather, we'd say the traffic is passing over the water.

Take this beautifully crafted diagram for illustration:

tunnelkn0.jpg

On the left we have an example where a tunnel is not underground. You might say "the tunnel is under some ground". Well, yes. But then the tunnel is also over a hell of a lot more ground. And what about the tracks that the rails are on? They're certainly above ground. If we take the natural point of the ground as a point of reference, we could then say whether something was over or under ground, and thus you would be able to construct a tunnel which is not underground.

Moreover, if you take your "two walls and a roof" idea of a tunnel, surely a corridor, which is similar to a tunnel, would also be underground! Well, I certainly don't live underground.

In conclusion, it is not a tautology to refer to a tunnel as being underground, and thus, you're fucking wrong.

Who gives a shit.

QFT

From Merriam Webster:
1: a hollow conduit or recess : tube, well
2 a: a covered passageway

A hallway can technically be considered a tunnel.

specifically : a horizontal passageway through or under an obstruction

A closed top bridge over the grand canyon would be a tunnel, and would not be under ground or water.

suck it. Arguing semantics is fine, whining about them isn't.

also, those screenshots are clearly not Source engine, and I see no reason they have anything at all to do with HL3 or any HL game.

Unfortunately I couldn't resist responding to a poster with this magnitude of both ignorance and rudeness. While you say, in your post, that the tunnel is going under the side of the hill, that does not mean it is necessarily going underground. Underground itself has its own definition:

Source

If we built a bridge over water for traffic and pedestrians to pass over, we wouldn't say that the water is flowing underground. Rather, we'd say the traffic is passing over the water.

Take this beautifully crafted diagram for illustration:

tunnelkn0.jpg

On the left we have an example where a tunnel is not underground. You might say "the tunnel is under some ground". Well, yes. But then the tunnel is also over a hell of a lot more ground. And what about the tracks that the rails are on? They're certainly above ground. If we take the natural point of the ground as a point of reference, we could then say whether something was over or under ground, and thus you would be able to construct a tunnel which is not underground.

Moreover, if you take your "two walls and a roof" idea of a tunnel, surely a corridor, which is similar to a tunnel, would also be underground! Well, I certainly don't live underground.

In conclusion, it is not a tautology to refer to a tunnel as being underground, and thus, you're fucking wrong.

QFT

ROFL. So passing under a bridge equals a tunnel now? I want some of your drugs. Does driving into my garage count as going into a one way tunnel too? What if I put a little train-set on the roof? How about sitting in a plane that has clouds over it - am I in a "sky tunnel"?

Fail kid fails.

ROFL. So passing under a bridge equals a tunnel now? I want some of your drugs. Does driving into my garage count as going into a one way tunnel too? What if I put a little train-set on the roof? How about sitting in a plane that has clouds over it - am I in a "sky tunnel"?

Fail kid fails.

Yup, it's Shasta.

Hey, you know what else is redundant? "Mc Bane is an asshole".

ROFL. So passing under a bridge equals a tunnel now?

Passing under a long bridge might be, yes. If you take the image posted above

for instance, you would have to agree it's a tunnel. If you don't, we've solved the argument, because we know you're just a retarded-assmonkey with no recognition of defined human constructs. My diagram can't illustrate the length of the tunnel I drew, but there is length to it.

I want some of your drugs.

**** off, twat-face, I wouldn't even sell you back your mother.

Does driving into my garage count as going into a one way tunnel too?

For someone who rains down accusations of ignorance on everyone else, you're not very bright yourself. Your garage doesn't have a hole in the other end. If it did, sure, it'd be a damn tunnel. If you recall your own definition:

The purpose of a tunnel is to create a pathway UNDER or THROUGH something.

Your garage would have to allow you to pass straight through.

What if I put a little train-set on the roof?

Who said **** all about putting train-sets on rooftops?

How about sitting in a plane that has clouds over it - am I in a "sky tunnel"?

Read my post again, it clearly says there has to be earth over the tunnel, or at least some solid, physical body. Clouds are not solid.

Fail kid fails.

Definitions of fail on the web said:
  • be unsuccessful; "Where do today's public schools fail?"; "The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"
  • be unable; "I fail to understand your motives"
  • fall short in what is expected; "She failed in her obligations as a good daughter-in-law"; "We must not fail his obligation to the victims of the Holocaust"
  • judge unacceptable; "The teacher failed six students"

If Mc Bane is Shasta, he's missing capitalising random words in a sentence.

Eg:

I have a BETTER computer than YOU, so please GO AWAY you stupid PIRATE.

This thread may actually be constructed from facepalm.

For someone who rains down accusations of ignorance on everyone else, you're not very bright yourself. Your garage doesn't have a hole in the other end. If it did, sure, it'd be a damn tunnel. If you recall your own definition:

Your garage would have to allow you to pass straight through.

Who said **** all about putting train-sets on rooftops?

Read my post again, it clearly says there has to be earth over the tunnel, or at least some solid, physical body. Clouds are not solid.

ROFLMAO. Mocking sarcasm flies right over your head. Or does it tunnel under your sense of what is going on...?

Hell, if you were going to take it all so seriously, you could have at least tried to make a better argument, like wind-tunnels or firewall tunnels etc - although you seem to think that to be called a tunnel some sort of physical mass or body is required, so I'll let you tell the software geeks their terminology is wrong.

These pictures don't even look similar to the source engine. They are just renders of some tunnel with a HL3 logo stuck ontop.

This, my friends, was an epic fail.

These pictures don't even look similar to the source engine. They are just renders of some tunnel with a HL3 logo stuck ontop.

This, my friends, was an epic fail.

Stop going off topic!

I was commenting on the Tunnel and this person's epic failure.

Nothing more D:

I think he's done a damn good job, actually.

God, don't you love Shasta :D

Oh, I didn't see that! Well in that case...

ROFLMAO. Mocking sarcasm flies right over your head. Or does it tunnel under your sense of what is going on...?

Hell, if you were going to take it all so seriously, you could have at least tried to make a better argument, like wind-tunnels or firewall tunnels etc - although you seem to think that to be called a tunnel some sort of physical mass or body is required, so I'll let you tell the software geeks their terminology is wrong.

... will you SHUT UP you STUPID GORILLA!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back