What computer will half life 2 need to run comfortably?

MaStA

Reaction score
Was just wondering how powerful a pc u need to run half life 2 at max with no trouble.

I have an Aoelus geforce fx 5700 128mb
1gb DDR RAM
120GB hard drive
p4 2.53 Ghz
Asus motherboard
19" Sony LCD monitor

Also half life 2 is built around ATI. Is it likely to cause problems on geforce cards? Will a driver be required?

Your comp is kickass, but the vid card is just bleh. Either upgrade to a last gen ATi card or get a next-gen ATi or NVidia card. The new cards come very close in performance.

so i would need a top end vid card if i want to play half life 2 on high settings? Do you recommend the geforce or the radeon? coz half life 2 is built around ati

The Geforce 6800 and Radeon x800 series cards will do great in HL2. If you go any lower, get a Radeon 9800 Pro.

If you can afford a high end card, go for it. 6800GT is a decent card for the money and will run HL2 in full detail. But don't listen to me, read some reviews and CS:S benchmark results. Shop around.

I'm not sure when the Nvidia 6600 and the Ati X700 cards are supposed to be released, but if its before Nov 16th, you might want to consider holding out for those.

I'm gonna have to get you to mail me your system for ..err.. inspection.. yeah thats it!

lemmingzappa said:
I highly reccomend the x800 xt or x800 pro.
Not the geforce.

www.ebuyer.com
www.overclockers.co.uk
www.dabs.com

No offense i dont want to get into a flame war over cards.

If you want to buy the best card out there get a x800xt pe

If you want to get the best card for your money get a 6800 gt
Do not get a x800 pro or an xt. If you are going high end but don't want a xt pe get a 6800 gt. It beats its competition for price point in EVERY single category, across api's. WHEN ran on the same settings with the SAME optimizations on and off.

Do not pay attention to avid card fanboys.

The best card out there is a x800xtPE
After that is the 6800GT
After that is the 9800XT

those are your money/performance price points.

Believe what i am saying to you.

The best bang for your buck is simply the 6800 GT

It depends on what you mean by "comfortably". I can run CS:S on a freakin' GEFORCE 4 MX with decent framerate. It doesn't look nearly as good as my 9600XT though. (Old computer vs new.)

killahsin-[CE] said:
The best bang for your buck is simply the 6800 GT

I think the 6800 GT is probably the best bang for your buck for the "high-end" videocards. As far as general HL2 performance goes, the ATI 9600pro-9800pro series of cards deserves the "BBfyB" title more.

I also reccomend the 6800 GT. It has 256 megs of memory. You can get it cheeper with only 128 megs of ram which also isn't too bad. I wouldn't get the 6800 Ultra though. It is only a little bit better then the GT but cost a lot more.

Back