What Conclusions can be drawn....?

N

Nickzer_Teh_Pwn

What conclusions can be drawn when compiling all the recent news about Half Life 2. (Story Wise).

Its my personal feeling that this is a rough idea of what we know will happen in the game:

1) You arrive in City 17 - Your only knowledge is that the Gman let you out of wherever you were to go to this place.

2) Dr. Breen is the administrator (from his title of Doctor, to the recent revelations about Gman and Administrator not being the same person, this is pretty much self explanatory). What relationship he holds with the Gman, i.e. whether they are ally or foe or simply neutral with thier own agendas, is yet to be seen. Yet I believe they are not affiliated in any way.

3) This leads on to the fact that the combine and Breen know you have been sent to City 17, and therefore are on the lookout for you, shown when you pass through the gates leading out of the train station and they close when the camera photographs you. You are led to that interrogation chamber where you are, surprisingly enough, interrogated. You manage to, (I dont know how, maybe with Barneys help as he is the leader of the resistance) break out of the room and begin your flight from the Combine.

4) This is a major turning point in the game, The Combine are now your enemy.

5) You escape from City 17, fighting your way through with Barney (as shown in the demos) to the outskirts (shown in the demos with Father Grigory and that abandoned village with Zombies). I believe the 'mine' father Grigory mentions you want to goto is pivotal because this is Eli Vance's 'base' so to speak.

6) You make your way to Eli Vance's base and meet up with the new characters. (Alyx and Eli Vance and that other scientist). Eli Vance then tells you to go meet with Dr. Kleiner - As shown in the demo 'Kleiner's lab', Kleiner's lab is in City 17, as shown in the demo and therefore the city enters the equation again.

This'll probably be moved to the Rumors and Speculation forum

It all sounds plausible to me, in any case.

Except it doesnt explain the apartment complex level where the combine are not your enemy, how this fits in before the Combine become hostile I dont know. Somebody help me fit this in with my theory?

Maybe the combine aren't on the lookout for you at first, and you end up in the apartments somehow. I reckon it's gonna start off like Codename Gordon, at the docks. From where you get on some kind of train through to city17.

It would be good if you could choose not to go along with Eli etc.. and side with whichever faction you like. Althought it would turn the game into Deus Ex

Good point, non linearity is not necessarily the way to go, it works to an extent but you have to draw the line somewhere. Example?

Deus ex 2: Choices on everything but in the end you didnt have a clear idea of who were the good guys and bad guys and i think you need that set out in the game.

I doubt it starts at the docks, though. Immediate zombie bashing doesn't sound, to me, like "Easing you into the game world", or whatever VALVe say they're trying to do...

Yeh that would be horrible for first time players. Like a James Bond film, have Gordon escaping a combine patrol by jumping off a cliff then releasing his parachute and a big Lambda logo is on the top!

Hehe

Back