What do you think about Commies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with the people of America, my beef is with the government (so when i say USA or US or America, i really mean the government). But i'm not fond of overly-patriotic people. And i didn't mean the abuse of power within the US, i meant with the US being the most powerful nation on the planet, and the abuse of that status.

The attitude tends of the US to be "we can so we will". If the US didn't abuse its power, then a large proportion of the world wouldn't hate it/consider it a threat to world peace.

I think the biggest example of this has to be the war on terrorism. The US has got its list of targets, and is now taking them out with complete disregard to what the rest of the world thinks, because it can.

But its all opinions so no-one is ever right. You won't be able to change my views, i won't be able to change yours.

Communism is a pretty good idea, but the problem is people, and especially the ones that crave power. The Greek philosopher Plato said that all people that want to lead a country, should be banned of doing so. History proves him right, I think. Look at Stalin (USSR), Kim Jong-Il (North Korea), Berlusconi (Italy), Franco (Spain), and the Bush clan (Texas, Florida and the USA) amongst a lot of others. The problem with all these leaders is that they can't stand people that criticise their way of thinking. Some leaders result to all out violence to shut their critics up and others use the judicial system. Either way it's the same problem: intolerance of other opinions.

Originally posted by GhostValkyrie
Well, how do you guys feel about the Reds, hmmm?

Well, in THEORY it's a much better system, but people don't work like that. So we'll have to stick with this stupid capitalism.

Originally posted by Murray_H
I don't have a problem with the people of America, my beef is with the government (so when i say USA or US or America, i really mean the government). But i'm not fond of overly-patriotic people. And i didn't mean the abuse of power within the US, i meant with the US being the most powerful nation on the planet, and the abuse of that status.

The attitude tends of the US to be "we can so we will". If the US didn't abuse its power, then a large proportion of the world wouldn't hate it/consider it a threat to world peace.

I think the biggest example of this has to be the war on terrorism. The US has got its list of targets, and is now taking them out with complete disregard to what the rest of the world thinks, because it can.

But its all opinions so no-one is ever right. You won't be able to change my views, i won't be able to change yours.

Well said =)

It would only work if we had a collective mind e.g the borg.

Originally posted by Tak
I agree with Cybersheep--CyberSh33p
I've done some research, and I don't actually agree. I misread the information...

Moderators shouldn't start threads beyond news, it's outside their remit. If you want to start off topic threads use a normal account.

As for the topic, we've discussed this before elsewhere. There is little point in bring up the same issues, and judging by most of the responses here I wouldn't say that anything new is being brought into the mix.

Originally posted by Kadayi Polokov
Moderators shouldn't start threads beyond news, it's outside their remit. If you want to start off topic threads use a normal account.

First: This is your opinion. While I respect your opinion, I think it's simply biased because you don't like the side I took.

Second: Don't tell me what to do.

Third: I won't hide behind a facade; My opinions are mine, not another's.

Fourth: I find having more than one name pointless. Only a troll, or someone afraid the reputation of another name being tarnished, would consider having more than one name.

Fifth: If Moderators shouldn't start a thread outside of news, how come you haven't commented this in other Non-News threads by other Mods? Once again; I think you're biased has something to do with it. I could be wrong, it's only my opinion.

BTW: I'm sorry if my interacting with the community offends you. I can understand your point of view; It's not like I'm a human being, too.

Second: Don't tell me what to do.

LOL, classic. You damn well know you shouldn't be doing it, and the fact that any other Mods have been doing the same shows a lack of discipline/control on the sites behalf.

Unless something major happens i don't think there needs to be this many mods. I mean how many are there now?

If you don't like the way things are, why are you here?
Aside from that, why do you think it's funny I don't want you to tell me what to do? Do I do the same to you?

^ You are a nob.
"Second: Don't tell me what to do"
I dont see why he cant say that.

Anyhow.... I think that communism is a good idea but it doesnt work because people are greedy. Thats why we are stuck with capitalism which sucks. Id be happy to have a job which doesnt exactly make me the richest guy in the world.

That is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. We're users of this forum too, you know... we are most certainly entitled to making our own threads. I love the fact that you think you can go around saying what's outside of our boundaries and what's not, though.

Aside from that, why do you think it's funny I don't want you to tell me what to do? Do I do the same to you?

You obviously can't distinguish between the terms 'moderator' and 'instigator'. Reach for the Websters!!

The only reason for starting this thread was to provoke a reaction, guess what you got it. If other Mods are doing the same, shame on them too.

If you'd posted about new screenshots for Doom 3 or some such, to me that constitutes news, so that's ok. But to purport opinions or instigate discussions isn't in your remit as a moderator, know your role and to quote someone earlier on in the thread STFU (and why oh why wasn't that post moderated?)

As regards the topic, you've illustrated to me before your lack of knowledge of political ideology as well as your inability to grasp the fundamentals of a world view. Your in love with the notion of the external bogeyman (read: the red menace) as a means to justify your nations own excesses, it's a cowboys and indians view of the world, faintly amusing, much like this:-

Originally posted by Abom|nation
That is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. We're users of this forum too, you know... we are most certainly entitled to making our own threads. I love the fact that you think you can go around saying what's outside of our boundaries and what's not, though.

You should have mod accounts outside your normal accounts. Thats how other forums work. Reach for the websters (again).

You should have mod accounts outside your normal accounts. Thats how other forums work.

That's how every other forum on the internet works? Funny, because the ones I visit don't work that way. Hmm.

That's how every other forum on the internet works? Funny, because the ones I visit don't work that way. Hmm.

You must visit some lame forums then.

You must visit some lame forums then.

Because moderators get powers with their existing account? Okay then. What's the point of having a 'normal' account to make 'normal' posts, then logging into the moderator account to work? That's insane, it's just alot of unnecessary account-swapping.

And you don't think you're instigating an quarrel, right now?

I'm not a moderator, so I'm not under any obligations am I beyond the site rules?

But to purport opinions or instigate discussions isn't in your remit as a moderator, know your role and to quote someone earlier on in the thread STFU

Well, I guess you can tell us how to do our job...seing as you're a moderator, as well.:dozey:

That there aren't very many of them left in the world.

Speaking about this with my wife - who is Russian, and grew up during the Cold War as I did - there were many things in her life that I feel were wonderful experiences. Certainly her education was top-notch; also she showed an affinity for dance & skating, hence had 8 years of intensive training in each (skating in winter, dancing in summer in her case). Her large city block was home to the kindergarten, elementary, and high school - where the majority of the teachers lived also. The police station was right there.

What struck me most about living in Russia was how open, friendly, hospitable, and inviting everyone was. We had parties every night, mostly spontaneous ones as family & friends dropped by at all times of the day and evening, most every time bringing something with them - flowers, cakes, food, champagne (Diamant, my favorite!), beer, vodka, etc etc. We frequently made these visits too, toting along goodies for our hosts. Conversations were lively, amusing, deadly serious sometimes, immediately intimate, gossipy - all in all a great dramatic party that I have never experienced before.

I have lived all over the world, have literally made a circuit around the globe, and one thing stands clear in my mind: Your average citizen, in any country, just wants to get along, provide security for his/her family, and have a healthy life.

In other words, all this patriotic, nationalistic BS is a waste of breath & brainpower, and is one of the leading reasons why people die miserable, lonely, tragic, painful deaths. Starting a thread out with the topic "What do you think of the Commies " and "how do you guys feel about the Reds " is a typical condescending, patriotic, nationalistic piece of BS that would not be tolerated in educated company.

And by the way, Russia's economy is flourishing again now, due to their extensive oil fields (the ones Hitler wanted, some of you may know), deals with the USA & other countries, and the continued rise of capitalism and open markets - which can tax goods & services as opposed to the black markets, thereby bringing income to the government.

^I never made references to Russia being a Communist country. I was simply asking how people felt about "Communists," not formal Soviet nations and their inhabitants.

Because moderators get powers with their existing account? Okay then. What's the point of having a 'normal' account to make 'normal' posts, then logging into the moderator account to work? That's insane, it's just alot of unnecessary account-swapping.

So your justification is idleness? You can have two different account windows open at the same time you know?

So your justification is idleness? You can have two different account windows open at the same time you know?

But I'd love to know what the bloody point is, though!

I do like the way things are run here although your attitude is starting to annoy me. i think mods can post there opinions but should watch how they do it, the fact that your getting into a flame war is undermimeing your authority and therefore all of the other mods aswell.

I preferred it when there were only a few mods, but I know now that, that would be unrealistic. If things heated up then this many mods would be needed but right now I think it's a bit OTT. Of course I don't pay for this website so I won't tell you what to do.

Ghost hasn't really done anything opinionated, nor has he engaged in a flame war. He's stayed calm and hasn't said anything demeaning towards Kadayi.

Kadayi, you must also keep in mind this IS Off-Topic, I see no reason why a mod can't state his opinion in an Off-Topic forum, it's like he said, he's a user too.

Well, I guess you can tell us how to do our job...seing as you're a moderator, as well.:dozey:

Certainly I know the difference between a good mod and a bad. If you want an example of a good mod, I suggest you drop by www.Neocron.com and check out Nidhogg. Probably the best game forum board moderator I've seen.

Okay, I admit I can get into a flaming war, by some measures....maybe.
But I don't think he should come here telling us what to do, and how to do it.

What is it you don't like about my attitude? I don't mean this rudely; I'd like to not come off as offensive to the users. If it's my opinion though, I cannot change that.

EDIT: Thank you, Shuzer.

Re: Re: What do you think about Commies?

Originally posted by Solidarnosi
I have lived all over the world, have literally made a circuit around the globe, and one thing stands clear in my mind: Your average citizen, in any country, just wants to get along, provide security for his/her family, and have a healthy life.

In other words, all this patriotic, nationalistic BS is a waste of breath & brainpower, and is one of the leading reasons why people die miserable, lonely, tragic, painful deaths. Starting a thread out with the topic "What do you think of the Commies " and "how do you guys feel about the Reds " is a typical condescending, patriotic, nationalistic piece of BS that would not be tolerated in educated company.

Well said dude.

Certainly I know the difference between a good mod and a bad. If you want an example of a good mod, I suggest you drop by www.Neocron.com and check out Nidhogg. Probably the best game forum board moderator I've seen.

I play Neocron and I know all about Nidhogg. He's an intensely strict kind of guy, doesn't let anything through. While you might consider this a good mod, you need to understand that the forums are connected with people that pay for the game, so must be kept as strict as possible to make a good impression on potential buyers or whatever. We're quite alot more relaxed here, as this is a fansite.

chimp's got a point there. How about that?

Let's say you hated the jewish religion. Not the jewish people, but the jewish religion itself(?). Would you think it's a good idea to proclaim it on this forum?

I know it's an easy example, but you get the idea.

If you're going to boast opinions as fact, and tell us to look at Webster's Dictionary; You could at least try spelling words right, along with utilizing proper puncuation.

Originally posted by Element Alpha
chimp's got a point there. How about that?

Let's say you hated the jewish religion. Not the jewish people, but the jewish religion itself(?). Would you think it's a good idea to proclaim it on this forum?

I know it's an easy example, but you get the idea.

Understandable; Your point has been noted for future reference.

I play Neocron and I know all about Nidhogg. He's an intensely strict kind of guy, doesn't let anything through. While you might consider this a good mod, you need to understand that the forums are connected with people that pay for the game, so must be kept as strict as possible to make a good impression on potential buyers or whatever. We're quite alot more relaxed here, as this is a fansite.

Probably you won't mind if I hijack the thread long enough to say that I absolutely loved Neocron when it first came out, and I'd love to know (without wading through the ten million posts over at Neocron's forums) how the game is doing now. Would you mind starting a thread about it, Abom?

And to Ghost: Sorry I came off as such an ass, no real reason except that my eyes glaze over in anger sometimes and I forget my civility. I'll honestly try to state my opinions without the bad words. Also, I had several other people in mind when I responded (from various places & times in my life) so I kind of dumped it all into one thread. I've been up at work all night, brain's not running quite properly. My excuse, anyway.:cheers:

Your mods and their behaviour are also your sites reputation wouldn't you say? Consider how people view Planethalflife because of fragmaster. If your taking on a responsibility you should act accordingly. Contributing to threads is one thing, but instigating them is another thing entirely.

Yes this is the off-topic forum, but is a mod starting a thread saying 'what do you think about commies?' any less questionable than a thread than saying 'what do you think about gays?' for example?

Originally posted by Solidarnosi
Probably you won't mind if I hijack the thread long enough to say that I absolutely loved Neocron when it first came out, and I'd love to know (without wading through the ten million posts over at Neocron's forums) how the game is doing now. Would you mind starting a thread about it, Abom?

And to Ghost: Sorry I came off as such an ass, no real reason except that my eyes glaze over in anger sometimes and I forget my civility. I'll honestly try to state my opinions without the bad words. Also, I had several other people in mind when I responded (from various places & times in my life) so I kind of dumped it all into one thread. I've been up at work all night, brain's not running quite properly. My excuse, anyway.:cheers:

It's A-Okay, buddy!
:cheers:

Too bad someone apparently died, and made Kadayi the Forum King.:dozey:

EDIT: I'm lucky I got today off from work, otherwise I wouldn't be able to interact with you guys, like this. I enjoy talking with the community on a daily basis, whether or not others like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back