What does AWP actually stand for?

MrFoofles

Reaction score
Or... what does it mean? I tried using search but AWP doesn't work in search lol .. I know, I'm an idiot noob but I've been hearing and saying awp forever but what does it actually stand for? there's nothing in the weapon info screen that would correlate to A w and P.....

hmmm... that would make sense... any and all input on this weapon I know little about would be appreciated ;) ... thanks

thought AWP was made in the UK ....
or am i thinking of magnum

MrFoofles said:
hmmm... that would make sense... any and all input on this weapon I know little about would be appreciated ;) ... thanks

http://world.guns***/sniper/sn06-e.htm

It can also be called the PSG90 in Sweden
http://www.snipercentral.com/psg90.htm
http://home.swipnet.se/sniper/sniper/psg90.htm

AWP

Caliber: L96, AW, AW Police, AW Folding: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 win); Super Magnum: .338 Lapua (8.60x70mm), .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag
Operation: Bolt Action
Length: 1270mm
Barrel lenght: 686mm (.338 Lapua), 660mm (.300 and 7mm)
Weight: 6.8kg empty without telescope
Magazine Capacity: 5 round box magazine
Maximum Effective Range: ca. 800 meters for 7.62mm NATO variants, 1100+ meters for Magnum variants

In early 1980's British Army started the search for the replacement of the aging L42 Enfield sniper rifles. Main compettitors were british companies Parker-Hale with their model 82 bolt action rifle, and Accuracy International, with their PM rifle. Eventually, PM rifle won the competition and was accepted by British Army under the designation of L96
One of the most notorious features of the PM rifle was design of the stock. Instead of the solid polymer or wooden stock, PM/L96 used hollow polymer stock, made from two halves and assembled around aluminium bedding block, that extends to whole stock lenght. L96 also was equipped with backup iron sights.
In mid-1980s Sweden forces began their own quest for the new sniper rifle, that could survive heavy nordic environments. The AI again become the winner in this race with improved L96 design, named "Arctic warfare". In 1988 Swedish forces adopt AW rifle in 7.62mm NATO chambering under the designation of PSG.90. British Army, in its turn, also adopted this improved design under the designation of L96A1, as well as many other militaries and Law Enforcement agencies around the world. In 1998, the Bundeswehr (Germany Army) also adopted the AW Super Magnum rifle chambered in .300 Winchester magnum (germany designation 7.62x67mm) as Scharfschutzengewehre (sniper rifle - german) G22.

Built by Accuracy International of Portsmuth, England, this line of rifles is among the best in the World of sniper rifles today. This rifle can shot less than 2" (51mm) groups at the distances of 600 yards (550m), using boat-tail match ammunition. Arctic Warfare is a line of 5 rifles. Original Arctc Warfare was designed for the British military. It gained its designation by special anti-icing features, allowing sniping operations to be carried out under Arctic conditions as low as -40C (-104F)! Other models are Police (AWP), Suppressed (AWS), Folding (AWF) and Super Magnum (AW SM). Three first rifles designed for 7.62mm NATO ammunition, while Super Magnum can be chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum. AW has a 26" (660mm) barrel, AWP has 24" (609mm). AW SM barrels available in lentths from 24" (609mm) to 27" (686mm). The standart scopes supplied by Accuracy International are Smidt&Bender 3-12X variable or the Leupold Mark 4 fixed 10X scope.

You can read some quite funny submitted definitions of AWP at:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AWP

DreadLord1337 said:
http://world.guns***/sniper/sn06-e.htm

It can also be called the PSG90 in Sweden
http://www.snipercentral.com/psg90.htm
http://home.swipnet.se/sniper/sniper/psg90.htm

AWP

Caliber: L96, AW, AW Police, AW Folding: 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 win); Super Magnum: .338 Lapua (8.60x70mm), .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag
Operation: Bolt Action
Length: 1270mm
Barrel lenght: 686mm (.338 Lapua), 660mm (.300 and 7mm)
Weight: 6.8kg empty without telescope
Magazine Capacity: 5 round box magazine
Maximum Effective Range: ca. 800 meters for 7.62mm NATO variants, 1100+ meters for Magnum variants

In early 1980's British Army started the search for the replacement of the aging L42 Enfield sniper rifles. Main compettitors were british companies Parker-Hale with their model 82 bolt action rifle, and Accuracy International, with their PM rifle. Eventually, PM rifle won the competition and was accepted by British Army under the designation of L96
One of the most notorious features of the PM rifle was design of the stock. Instead of the solid polymer or wooden stock, PM/L96 used hollow polymer stock, made from two halves and assembled around aluminium bedding block, that extends to whole stock lenght. L96 also was equipped with backup iron sights.
In mid-1980s Sweden forces began their own quest for the new sniper rifle, that could survive heavy nordic environments. The AI again become the winner in this race with improved L96 design, named "Arctic warfare". In 1988 Swedish forces adopt AW rifle in 7.62mm NATO chambering under the designation of PSG.90. British Army, in its turn, also adopted this improved design under the designation of L96A1, as well as many other militaries and Law Enforcement agencies around the world. In 1998, the Bundeswehr (Germany Army) also adopted the AW Super Magnum rifle chambered in .300 Winchester magnum (germany designation 7.62x67mm) as Scharfschutzengewehre (sniper rifle - german) G22.

Built by Accuracy International of Portsmuth, England, this line of rifles is among the best in the World of sniper rifles today. This rifle can shot less than 2" (51mm) groups at the distances of 600 yards (550m), using boat-tail match ammunition. Arctic Warfare is a line of 5 rifles. Original Arctc Warfare was designed for the British military. It gained its designation by special anti-icing features, allowing sniping operations to be carried out under Arctic conditions as low as -40C (-104F)! Other models are Police (AWP), Suppressed (AWS), Folding (AWF) and Super Magnum (AW SM). Three first rifles designed for 7.62mm NATO ammunition, while Super Magnum can be chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum. AW has a 26" (660mm) barrel, AWP has 24" (609mm). AW SM barrels available in lentths from 24" (609mm) to 27" (686mm). The standart scopes supplied by Accuracy International are Smidt&Bender 3-12X variable or the Leupold Mark 4 fixed 10X scope.

You can read some quite funny submitted definitions of AWP at:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AWP

You sir need to get out more.

I thought it was because of a typo in one of the beta builds that just stuck?

I call it "that loud gun"
I always use "the small one" and sometimes "the clicky one" or "the fast one"

in earlier versions of CS, the Magnum Sniper Rifle was called the Arctic Warfare Magnum [Police] and the Night Hawk was called the Desert Eagle (Deagle). That's why they're called that.

Audiophile said:
in earlier versions of CS, the Magnum Sniper Rifle was called the Arctic Warfare Magnum [Police] and the Night Hawk was called the Desert Eagle (Deagle). That's why they're called that.

That was the Mod version, which was free, and therefore, they could get away with using some copyrighted names without having to go through red tape, in the retail/steam versions, its a different story, hence the modified/invented names, or just using military spec names (eg M4 instead of Colt)

I hate the AWP or AWM, whatever you want to call it. the scout loads the next bullet faster and has a larger clip (Or so I think). Also with enough skill you can do as much killing.

I still like to call it the awm...but then people call me a newb who can't read what a gun name is.....same as calling the Defender the Galil, and the Clarion the Famas.... \=

aha...

worldguns, that's a popular site for people who like guns... I must have overlooked that awp though...

well thanks for all the responses... I don't really know much about sniper rifles in the real world and don't care to use them in games...but it's something I have to live.. or die..with.. in CS lol

damn i wish i would have seen this sooner i am a gun dealer
:( good world guns link though that what i would have put up

Back