What, exactly, type of benchmark that is coming out?

kanette

Reaction score
I didn't catch the news and sorry that i wasn't able to search the post for correct anwer.

How will the bench be like: playable, watch-only, or elses?
If it's playable, is it something like a demo?

Thank you

Originally posted by kanette
I didn't catch the news and sorry that i wasn't able to search the post for correct anwer.

How will the bench be like: playable, watch-only, or elses?
If it's playable, is it something like a demo?

Thank you

video presumably

probably like 3d mark or sumthing

but god wot i would do to get hold of that tech demo:sniper:

but will we be able to turn on and off effects and res etc?
otherwise if its with everything on max even the sound will lag on my pc

Watch only, not a video, actual real-time rendering of prerecorded path using the source engine.

We have already seen a recorded video of the benchmark, but if you want to see how HL2 will actually look/play on YOUR system, then this is what you need.

Thanks

How many megabyte can be expected?

I have a very poor connection

I wonder…

Do you think that guys who are good with code and what not, might be able to, say, hack the HL2 benchmark and make it sort of playable?

Also, which one of the videos do you guys think will be the most likely to be used as the benchmark? The DX9 one with the big bug?

I think the exact terminology for the benchmark that we'll be receiving at some point in time is a 'rolling demo'. A demo where you can't use the controls :)

i was thinking about that too hehe :) they could "hack" it and make it playable :)

Originally posted by Zyphria
I think the exact terminology for the benchmark that we'll be receiving at some point in time is a 'rolling demo'. A demo where you can't use the controls :)

i second that, just like the recent X2 rolling demo

Originally posted by subway_diet
I wonder…

Do you think that guys who are good with code and what not, might be able to, say, hack the HL2 benchmark and make it sort of playable?

Also, which one of the videos do you guys think will be the most likely to be used as the benchmark? The DX9 one with the big bug?
If they disable input in the code you can't do anything about it... unless you have the code.

Originally posted by OCybrManO
If they disable input in the code you can't do anything about it... unless you have the code.
Hmm… right you are. But still, I’m sure some big ol’ nerd might find a way to do some thing with it.

Buuuut, what do I know? Not much, I can tell you.

Originally posted by subway_diet
Hmm… right you are. But still, I’m sure some big ol’ nerd might find a way to do some thing with it.

Buuuut, what do I know? Not much, I can tell you.

Compiled code is extremely hard (if not impossible) to alter. If the benchmark came out today, I'd say some big ol' nerd might have it playable by sometime next decade.

Originally posted by Ahnteis
Watch only, not a video, actual real-time rendering of prerecorded path using the source engine.

We have already seen a recorded video of the benchmark, but if you want to see how HL2 will actually look/play on YOUR system, then this is what you need.

Where is this recorded video you speak of?

Originally posted by Kitarist
i mean its not released as public :(

Supposedly it will be released to the public, there has already been private benchmarking on many hardware sites. Get ready for a lot of teary eyed nVidia owners.

IT would be hard to hack the cached files you get off steam so don't expect to play the game from the benchmark before its released :)

Think of it like this. Have you recorded demos in HL/CS or anything like that?
The benchmark will be similar to that. A predetermined path and set of events that work within the engine and the loaded map.

Back