What exactly was the science team doing?

Afraid you're wrong about that, dog93. Gonarch was one of many "big momma" crabs. According to RtB any headcrab can grow into a Gonarch given enough time.

99.vikram said:
Afraid you're wrong about that, dog93. Gonarch was one of many "big momma" crabs. According to RtB any headcrab can grow into a Gonarch given enough time.
Really want to get that book... does it need to have a host in order to turn into a gonarch... if it has a host, it will turn into a gonome... and then?

Unfortunately Valve never fully explained what a Gonome evolves into :(

Samon said:
In Black Mesa Eli and Issac had government funding, state of the art equipement a whole host of other scientists to aid in the process. Black Mesa isn't there anymore. They are a ragtag resistance struggling with every day life...20 years is a good estimate to how long it's taken them.

Around 10, i'd say (cause they have it almost done when you arrive there, which, judging by the atmosphere, is sometime in spring or summer)

Azner said:
By the way, the teleportation to Xen was discovered by accident. A mere miscalculation of 0.88 power in the teleportation system and caused the portal storms.
Is that the way it happened? I thought later on in half life you discovered evidence that teleportation to xen had been going on in other departments before the day of the accident in anomalous materials.

I thought later on in half life you discovered evidence that teleportation to xen had been going on in other departments before the day of the accident in anomalous materials.

That is correct, all that Azner is talking about is the Resonance Cascade (the portal storms are completely different).

99.vikram said:
Around 20, i'd say (cause the official Episode One site says so - http://ep1.half-life2.com/story.php)

Hardly 20 years. Firstly its probably only 17/18 years since Black Mesa since it says "nearly" and secondly they didnt commence construction of the teleporters the moment they escaped. There was the whole Portal Storms/Xen Invasion then the Seven Hour's war/Combine Invasion and finally the science team's emmigration to Eastern Europe. Then there's finding the parts and setting up a secure base. I'd say this would take a lot longer than just a few years.

As someone else said they've probably only had like 10 years to make the teleporter.

back to the first page, the combine COULD have just crushed the rebel's hideouts but that would cause an epidemic between them, a battle in other words, they didnt want that to happen, after getting things under control in the city, so when they found out about gordon in the city, they knew the rebels would do ANYTHING to aid him destroying the combine alliance, so THATS when they found it right to wipe out the rebels
the scientists probably briefed the rebels on the combine technology, so they kno wat they're up against, as well as leading them , providing them with the right things and helping them on their way to freedom
the combine could have wiped out our race in no more than a day, but they couldnt, wiping them out would show that they are war criminals, wiping out a species for no apparent reason, so they let them live, cut off their reproduction, and observe their activities and watch them suffer, its like torture. plus, breen could have provided the combine with the things they needed for starting an empire, breen didnt want to die, he would rather watch his race suffer than die himself. all the combine do is suck the resources and technology from each planet they conquer, not to anhillate a species and move to the next, they needed our technology and recources, u can hear that the combine home world has very little resources, that only the combine species can live on. thats why the combine needed all the resources they could get, thats why breen needed a host body to go there.

emmm, i got carried away here, i didnt know wat the hell i was saying, sorry!

No, they go for the race. Nothing to do with watching them suffer.

Samon said:
No, they go for the race. Nothing to do with watching them suffer.
Absouletly... wait, race? U mean Species...

Back