What game will become Half Life 2's Rival?

Which game will rival Half-Life 2?

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 33 18.8%

• Total voters

DarkGhost86

Reaction score

1. STALKER
  2. Halo 2
  3. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  4. MOH: Pacific Assault
  5. F.E.A.R

eh, I would go for
1. STALKER
2. Halo 2 (PC)
5. F.E.A.R

STALKER is looking very nice and will rival hl2 well, halo will be seen as a rival by many (console game) i cant really say about F.E.A.R (not much info around at all) and i cannot see spinter cell or pacific assualt coming too close to hl2.

DarkGhost86 said:

1. STALKER
  2. Halo 2
  5. F.E.A.R

Why do you think that there should or could be a rival? Do you think games are like display adapters that can be objectively benchmarked againts each other?

MOH: PA is a joke, EA's desperate move to make some money before they get raped in novmeber, by halo 2 sales.

Splinter cell is a TOTALLY different genre and it's anyway coming in 2005. But it'll rock, nonetheless.

STALKER is coming in 2005, but can certainly rival HL2, however, you'll need a nuclear powered PC to play the damn game. GSC has gone overboard with the tech for dx.9

FEAR looks very cool. Most certainly can rival HL2.

lans said:
MOH: PA is a joke, EA's desperate move to make some money before they get raped in novmeber, by halo 2 sales.

Splinter cell is a TOTALLY different genre and it's anyway coming in 2005. But it'll rock, nonetheless.

STALKER is coming in 2005, but can certainly rival HL2, however, you'll need a nuclear powered PC to play the damn game. GSC has gone overboard with the tech for dx.9

2005 ? sc3 ? realy ? source please ?

Does all this mean that I can't play Stalker and Half-Life 2 simultaneously? Will I have to choose one over the other? Will my hard-disk be unable to store both games?

All of them...
anyway... everygame you just put got diffrent style... as far as i know Halflife2's biggest rivel was Doom 3 but it seems he will surpess doom.

DarkGhost86 said:

1. STALKER
  2. Halo 2
  5. F.E.A.R
Reduce your signature to a maximum of 4 lines, please.

I'll add a poll for you now.

I think F.E.A.R can , the rest are mostly crappy console games that cant rival pong anywho enuff of my bitching :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will be in my opinion probably equal or very close to HL2. Ive been watching that game longer than I have HL2, and I really like the looks of it :)

Halo 2 without a doubt, definately the 2nd best game of the year.

lans said:

No, no, EA isn't worried about Halo 2 ONLY. They're worried about CoD: UO as well. Right now the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty series are the two strongest WW II era shooters. Unfortunately for EA, CoD (I forgot who develops the CoD games) is smacking the hell out of EA's MoH. EA is also trying to milk their cash cow to the last drop. Albeit CoD is doing the same, CoD is beating the masters of cash cow milkers in their own game.

As childish as this may be, I'll just add my opinion for the heck of it. I say Halo 2 will be the #1 strongest contender for HL2. Halo has already gathered an amazing mass of fans and support. I'm not sure about STALKER and FEAR, haven't given them much attention, to be honest.

Well looking at the quality of other games: maybe stalker.

Looking at community/fanbase: halo 2.

MadHatter said:
No, no, EA isn't worried about Halo 2 ONLY. They're worried about CoD: UO as well. Right now the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty series are the two strongest WW II era shooters.

Untill Brothers In Arms comes out early 2005, that game is going to kick CoD up the backside. anyway erhm HL2 eh ? looking good :)

I think Halo 2 (Xbox) is the only one that really stands a chance. Co-op is just too much fun.

Stalker sounds promising, and looks nice, but i've a hunch the fighting and AI are going to be bollox (would love to be proven wrong about this, though)

Don't know much about F.E.A.R, having only seen a few vids. From what i've seen it looks sweet - but way too early to tell.

DarkGhost86 said:

1. STALKER
  2. Halo 2
  5. F.E.A.R

In this list there is no rival for hl2

KurtCobain said:
Untill Brothers In Arms comes out early 2005, that game is going to kick CoD up the backside. anyway erhm HL2 eh ? looking good :)

Yeah, good point. I've been keeping an eye on BiA, too. We'll just have to wait and see if it does pose a threat.

from what ive seen, in quality, F.E.A.R, in fanbase halo2
[voted fear]

rf

i would say that HL2 main rival would be halo 2 even if its on console but all the games you posted ( cept for MOH:pacific assault) are going to rock especially chaos theory coop on lan and halo 2 coop on xbox.

F.E.A.R by far. Its the only game that looks as good as hl2.

1. Halo 2
2. FEAR
3. Stalker
4. Splinter Ceill
5. MOH: PA

Release dates not accounted for etc. Just general goodness.

I'm noticing a lot of people emphasizing 'looks' and 'eye candy' to determine HL2's greatest rival in this thread. Since when has eye candy been the greatest aspect of games? Edit: A game can dazzle you eyes to no end, but at the same time be as empty as bag of cheese puffs in front of Michael Moore.

I voted S.T.A.L.K.E.R. only because it is the most potentially innovative FPS to be released in years.

halo 2 - for sure. many like the looks and so do i. very nice graph etc

Spartan said:
Does all this mean that I can't play Stalker and Half-Life 2 simultaneously? Will I have to choose one over the other? Will my hard-disk be unable to store both games?
Yip. Only one game for you. Toooo bad :)

Personally, Splinter Cell looks great, FEAR and Stalker both look interesting, Halo 2 I'm indifferent about and Medal of Honour can f*ck off. The MoH series is particularly bland and very over-rated.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Or
F.E.A.R

I like the fact that stalker is going to be one big simulated area you get to explore, with weather, day and night cycle.

I see im not the only person who really likes stalker
i think stalker and halo 2 are the ONLY contenders,
stalker looks to be pretty different to your standard shooter, and halo 2 has a massive fanbase..
cant say fear has impressed me that much - sure the graphics are great but apart from that it sounds pretty been-there done-that

Back