What game will become Half Life 2's Rival?

Which game will rival Half-Life 2?

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 33 18.8%

• Total voters
Games dont have 'rivals'. Half-life 2 will bring people over to the PC from their consoles and fellow pc developers will reap the benefits.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R all the way, it will kick butt. Not to mention it has MP lol. I think it will beat HL2 just watch some movies {night & day movie} and you will see.

Stalker. No doubt about it. I forgot HL2 when I watched the stalker movies. :O

Most of those games and any other promising games are months of, so i guerss HL2 doesent have any real rival.....which is good...

Yes, STALKER. I've bought Halo2(preorder) just to play with my son. I do not consider it a rival, as it is a console game. I budget enough money each month for a game for each sytem..3 pc's and 3 consoles. Usually i end up get 2 copies of one game for LAN/online play.

Regardless tho...there really is no real competition, in my mind, for HL2. It's a game far above any other. Stalker is the next one after HL2 that i am looking forward to, but even then, vampires:bloodlines is by far a higher priority than STALKER, but only because the genre is different.

When it comes to retail dollars, HALO2 will put some pressure on HL2...but not too much. If it was coming out on pc at the same time(not to sure on this, i have not been paying attention to halo, except to listen to the radio theater), there might be some competition. Wait until we start seeing HL2 commercials....that should cinch it for HL2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

but sure F.E.A.R will be famous cuz hav very good graphics and thats the only thing the PC fanboys care

I'll go for FEAR since i didnt like Halo 1 and because FEAR looks fun.

I wouldnt say any of them really...

TES 4: OBLIVION and Unreal Engine 3 are shaping up nicely I guess... FEAR looks nice as does Halo2 (for an xbox game, however the coop is what will make it fun)... but since we know very little about most of those titles, and Hl2 still isn't in our hands it is hard to say :)

oh Battlefield 2 is starting to look cooler and cooler the more I see it... I just wish their explosions (in all bf games) weren't so freaking weak.. my farts are more devestating than those things.

In no particular order..

1. STALKER <- Though it is made by a company know for average games
2. Halo 2 <- Crazy rapid fanboys, sequel to one of the best games ever
3. FEAR <- Made by Monolith \o/

no1, I MEAN NO1 within 20 miles of my school has EVER heard of stalker........Its all about halo2 and sanandreas, thats it.

stalker looks good, and fear looks incredible. if all aspects of those games are at high quality they will both be worthy rivals. hopefully raven will do some magic with quake 4 too... ;)

.bog.

Anyone who said Halo 2 is a dolt. Different platforms = no competition until one or the other is ported. It's between Stalker or Fear.

Probably Halo 2... unless there are "Unforseen Consequences" :E

well even though we dont know jack about Pariah, im really sure it will kick a lot of ass. I could see Killzone be as much fun as hl2 also. different style, but still nice.

BladeTurbo said:
what, no DNF option? :)

DNF? What could that possibly be? I just think you are making things up now.

As for HL2s rival.....I doubt there will be a major one at all. I mean, it's pretty subjective. Are we talking about units sold or quality in gaming? I think GTA:SA will probably outsell everything this year, followed by Halo 2 or HL2..... but I could be completely wrong. As for quality, we got no clue untill these games come out.

I think this would be a good poll in a few months time.

Halo 2, it's already sold over 1.5 million preorders, which is a helluva lot of preorders! Halo as of know sold like 5 million copies so people are expecting huge expectations.

Gorgon..... Are you serious you didn't know about SC3????? I mean it has fricken co-op which owns! It was shown at this year's E3, find the co-op video if you can! :D

Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault? Lol, thats rich. MoH sucks. Call of Duty already schooled that franchise, and Brothers in Arms looks like its going to take WW2 games one step further.

But what game will rival HL2? There is one clear answer: Half-Life 3. Nothing else is going to match it in the meantime. But Stalker and FEAR will kick serious ass.

Iced_Eagle said:
Gorgon..... Are you serious you didn't know about SC3????? I mean it has fricken co-op which owns!
Ooooh, tasty.

I don't consider MoH to be a rival. SC3 will be really nice if the MP is improved again, should be an attractive game but nothing to rival HL2. F.E.A.R. has the potential, if it plays well and has a good MP component it could be quite big. If S.T.A.L.K.E.R. plays as well as it looks, and the multiplayer is as interesting as the SP, it will be a decent rival for HL2 in the hardcore gamer crowd, but won't ever be likely to compete in the mass market (F.E.A.R. probably has an equal chance in the mass market). Halo 2 has the mass market, and is likely to be a good game - it will be a rival whether HL2 fans like it or not, unless it is a complete dud. I'd also expect Quake 4 to be a serious rival, assuming it is a worthy follow-up to the rest of the series, but again don't think it can take the mass market like HL2. How about Riddick? It got good XBox reviews, no?

Back