What gets lost with poorer hardware?

OMG, i just had an appifeny (someone want to spell that for me :))

Mind when HL came out and it ran pretty good on some high end systems (at the time).

Think how those systems run Day of Defeat and CS.....

Think how much extra modders managed to pull out of the OLD HL engine IMAGINE THE POSSIBILTIES WITH SORCE!!!!

I wet myself :(

just for the hell of it, i sent of an e-mail to Gabe Newell, asking if at any point we would get screenshots of HL2 on different levels of hardware...we'll see if he replies.

Originally posted by AH_Viper
OMG, i just had an appifeny (someone want to spell that for me :))

Epiphany.

And, ya, mod-makers usually push the system simply because they are usually designing for a single hardware base (the one they happen to be building the mod on) and are less concerned about widespread acceptance simply because there is usually no financial incentive to diversify their product base.

It sounds like DX8 cards will still have nice quality, I'm really interested in how much refraction effects will be available on DX8 cards, as Xbox games have many, many games with refraction effects, yet it is an effect rarely seen on PC. The Xbox runs only on a Geforce 3 card basically. It is said that Half Life 2 will have 'limited' refraction on DX8 cards... I would think that refractive water and refractive explosions would be supported at least...

i would have attached it but it wont alow me :( i got the chart of what u get with what card in html :(

well ill try posting it but i bet it will look weird here gos:

*removed didnt work*

Viper, your computer should run HL2 fine.
ps. i have page ownage! :p

Back