What happens to the HEV?

LoneDeranger

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but at the end of HL1, the G-Man lets Gordon keep the suit. At the beginning of HL2, Gordon is obviously not wearing the suit.

What happened? Has the G-Man lied?

Probably not, i personally believe the resistance hired gordon to begin with (Barney and kliener expecting you, knowing that you are coming, odessa talking to gman, breen mentioning your contract bieng open to the highest bidder then alyx and elu shouting "NO!"...very suspicous)

So yeah, gman probably gave them his suit

I have a sort of out there theory, that without the HEV suit Gordon could not survive on Xen, so what G-man means is: "I took the liberty of relieving you of your weapons" He means you can't fight him, he has too much power, but when he says "As for the suit, I think you've earned it..." he means you have earned the right to live. G-man didn't give him the suit at the start of HL2 for reasons that are painfully obvious.

That's my little theory. I like symbolism...

Gordon steps out onto the platform, the scanner takes a fit, the metropolice drop thier batons in confusion and the vortigaunt sweeping up begins jumping up and down with joy...gordon simply looks on, emtionless, clad in a bright orange suit...

Painfully obvious reasons to why he didnt...

Or the train keeps going to Nova Prospekt :p

Samon said:
Probably not, i personally believe the resistance hired gordon to begin with (Barney and kliener expecting you, knowing that you are coming, odessa talking to gman, breen mentioning your contract bieng open to the highest bidder then alyx and elu shouting "NO!"...very suspicous)

No way then kliener would be all like "The g-man came and brought us your suit so you wouldnt be able to see your health and stuff cough"

I think there are so many things happened between HL1 and HL2..
Combine Empire just showed up in HL2 right?
and they didn't even show how they invaded and built the city 17..
Since HL2 story is not right after HL1, you can't really tell why Freeman doesn't show up with his HEV in HL2.

Or the big G knew that Gordon would be getting his suit back within an hour of entering the city.

Samon said:
Gordon steps out onto the platform, the scanner takes a fit, the metropolice drop thier batons in confusion and the vortigaunt sweeping up begins jumping up and down with joy...gordon simply looks on, emtionless, clad in a bright orange suit...

Painfully obvious reasons to why he didnt...

I agree with this one. He was supposed to enter the city incognito... and at the end of HL when G-Man says "I took the liberty of relieving you of your weapons... as for the suit... I think you've earned it" doesn't mean he's wearing it for fifteen years in stasis. The G-Man most likely meant he'd return it when the time was right. But first he'd give it to Dr. Kleiner so he could make improvements on it.

And note that when Kleiner brought out the clipboard where the HEV suit modifications were listed, he blew some dust off of it! That implies that the modifications were made quite a while before.

Samon said:

I must have missed that last bit with Breen, Alyx and Eli...

And personally, I felt that Kleiner and Barney were rather surprised to see you.

Brian Damage said:
I must have missed that last bit with Breen, Alyx and Eli...

And personally, I felt that Kleiner and Barney were rather surprised to see you.

(Major spoilers)
It was at the end of the game when Breen is talking to you with Alyx and Eli watching.

But they knew he was comign didnt they. "I expected more warning!"

Suspicious

Samon said:

Suspicious

I think Breen was taunting you at the end, rather than the resistance placing a higher bid than the Combine, which is infeasible to me. Alyx is worried that you will believe yourself to be unaware mercenary.

In the prison Breen says that Eli could have been captured at any time, but only when he and Kleiner perfected the local teleporter did they attack. The G-Man knows the importance of this teleporter (considering the role of Nihilanth) so he sends Gordon in to prevent the Combine capturing it. Alyx says something along the lines of it being strange for Gordon to show up on that day.

At the beginning of Half-Life you see Kleiner standing in a tram with the G-Man (I'll call him Kleiner as it is always the same generic scientist model) so he must know of the G-Man. By 'sending' the HEV back to Kleiner, the G-Man lets him know that Gordon is in his keeping and will surely be back at some point.

then alyx and elu shouting "NO!"...very suspicous)

Why wouldn't they want gordon to know they were hiring him? It seems they dont want him to know anything. Everything Breen says , gordon is told not to listen. Maybe some of it is true..
Gordon is doomed to be forever in stasis, only awakened when he is needed, and is never told the truth. He is not living a full life.

ohh, I'd say he's only living ... Half a Life?

Jangle said:
ohh, I'd say he's only living ... Half a Life?

Omg you are right!! You got best soulution what i heard about HL name.

Mister_Pie said:
(Major spoilers)
It was at the end of the game when Breen is talking to you with Alyx and Eli watching.

Yeah, I went back and listened to that agin. It's one of the points where my speakers go all staticky. Seems to happen when a lot of people with lines are in one room.

Samon said:

Suspicious

The impression I got from that statement, as I've said elsewhere, was that Kliener expected that, on the off chance that Gordon had survived his trip to Xen, when he attempted to find his friends he'd be blazing a trail of destruction and chaos right across the countryside, giving his friends enough notice to prepare for him. Since the G-Man dropped him off practically next door to Kleiner's, this didn't happen.

[EDIT]: That first sentence in that there last paragraph has entirely too many commas.

Samon said:
breen mentioning your contract bieng open to the highest bidder then alyx and elu shouting "NO!"...very suspicous)
yes i have thought about this, breen says somethign like this to gordon "you were working for the highest bidder" almost like gordon was working for breen, and then alyx says NOO, gordon would never do anything like that. this kinda confused me. could gordon be working for breen? if so then that leaves quite a bit of unanswered questions

Be aware, the suit he wears in HL2 is of a newer model than the one in HL1.

The_Monkey said:
Be aware, the suit he wears in HL2 is of a newer model than the one in HL1.

It's gordon's old suit, just refurbished by Kleiner. This is evident when Kleiner says "It STILL fits you like a glove. Or at least the glove parts do!"

I've ranted about this before
everyone knows gordon freeman, and everyone knows he holds a crowbar, and everyone knows he wears an HEV suit
thusly, an HEV suit is 'his' because it's his trademark attire
the HEV in HL2 is the mkV to HL1's mkIV, it has a manual, and has a considerably different outward appearance (in a polished, produced-style way, not the rebar-and-exposed-wiring look of all the resistance tech)
it's not the same suit

jimmyjam said:
I've ranted about this before
everyone knows gordon freeman, and everyone knows he holds a crowbar, and everyone knows he wears an HEV suit
thusly, an HEV suit is 'his' because it's his trademark attire
the HEV in HL2 is the mkV to HL1's mkIV, it has a manual, and has a considerably different outward appearance (in a polished, produced-style way, not the rebar-and-exposed-wiring look of all the resistance tech)
it's not the same suit

Other scientists had HEV suits too. Remember the corpses in the Xen dimension? Besides, Gordon seemed pretty well-known even before he got his suit back.

It's the same suit Gordon used to wear. how would kleiner be able to make improvements to the internals of the suit without taking off the external armor? While making those changes, why not repaint or retouch the armor a bit? It was sure to have been a little damaged after the events of HL1.

As for the polished style, Kleiner could've made those improvements long ago when he still had the time and resources to make it look nice. Being a scientist, he would've been really thorough doing it to include a manual (on a sheet of paper on a clipboard). Besides, resistance tech isnt that bad looking. Their soldier's uniforms are pretty spiffy too.

he had time to write a manual between the portal storms, the 7 hour war, and being shoved into a combine city?

why not? all barney seems to do is just shove him into a lab and leave him there.and check on him from time to time.

Back