"What he said"

WhiteBoy

Reaction score
Here's another one of my complaints.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me on this, but I am pretty darn sure I am not the only one who is tired of the "What he said," or just quoting the message. If that's really all they have to share, why bother posting? To get a higher post count since they feel more posts makes them more likely respected? I know that's what many new members base their respect upon, but for me, someone who prefers quality over quanity, I view those posts to be a worthless waste of forum space, and it would be nice to see someone put an end to it.

EDIT: Why do I get the feeling someone is going to quote my post and say "I agree."?

Sometimes i can post like that but your right you should take the time to right out your post or reply and make it long a few sentences not just like 2 words. Also if you want to add things later just add stuff like this example.
I mean you cant stop people from doing it but yes could point :thumbs:

EXAMPLE---------------> EDIT Update: HI :cheers:

Hmmmm, first question: what are the advantages to having a high postcount, don't really see any (besides being able to approximate how much time you wasted on this forum rather than playing CS ;) ).

I don't know, peopel quoting and that saying I agree with the quote never bothered me that much, but then again, my opinions are rather radical!! What annoys me more is people quoting and then writing swear words, obseneties, or simply offending the person.

The "What he said" is mostly just to support that opinion...
Although us mods wish you would elaborate more, "what he said" are USUALLY tolerated...there are many execptions

It's sort of annoying when people don't take the time to expand on 'what he said' or 'quoted for emphasis', but it doesn't piss me off until one post that everyone has already read gets 'quoted for emphasis' another 15 times.

theGreenBunny said:
It's sort of annoying when people don't take the time to expand on 'what he said' or 'quoted for emphasis', but it doesn't piss me off until one post that everyone has already read gets 'quoted for emphasis' another 15 times.
It's alright to have it done a few times, but I do agree it's excessive to see half a thread filled with those kinds of comments... it rarely happens though, luckily.

I would rather see 1 good post with 5-6 people quoting it in agreement than 1 good post followed by 5-6 people saying the same thing but with different wording.

Usualy i expand upon quotes becuase i dont always agree 100% with them but if its a good sensible post it deserves to remain that way, and the poster deserves the credit.

Icarus said:
The "What he said" is mostly just to support that opinion...
Although us mods wish you would elaborate more, "what he said" are USUALLY tolerated...there are many execptions

I agree.

it's usually to support that oppinion, and I think why people don't elaborate is because there isn't anything more to say, they agree with what the other person said and or would have said the same thing.

The "me too" post can be annoying, but if the person who posts makes a good case. Then people have a right to express their support for it. I'm much more annoyed by people who don't read the whole thread before posting something dumb.

By quoting someone's reply, not only are you saying that you value thier opinion but you're giving the skim readers a chance to hear it too.
Dougy said:
I would rather see 1 good post with 5-6 people quoting it in agreement than 1 good post followed by 5-6 people saying the same thing but with different wording.
Too much potential irony in this thread.

HalfLife2Addict said:
I second that!
See? This is exactly what I am talking about. I know this was probably just doing it out of spite, but it is completely useless.

Sometimes you just want to support this persons opinion. I personally don't want to write a 3-page essay whenever there's someone who said something I strongly agree with and support.

Of course you shouldn't post too much of this, you can usually distinguish someone who really do agree with a person or someone who wrote it just for the sake of postcount/spam.

CrazyHarij said:
Sometimes you just want to support this persons opinion. I personally don't want to write a 3-page essay whenever there's someone who said something I strongly agree with and support.

Of course you shouldn't post too much of this, you can usually distinguish someone who really do agree with a person or someone who wrote it just for the sake of postcount/spam.

I agree with you there. I like to get responds when I make a thread, and getting a short confirmation that I posted a usefull point makes me more happy than getting a stupid flame from someone spamming their postcount.

Over at the steam forums it's nearly pointless to make a thread nowadays, because the people actually dont quote what you have said, but usually just replies "I second that" or "OMG you N00b!1!!1"

I consider HL2.net a more grown up forum, and I like it the way it is. :cheers:

Back