What if there were no Gordon?

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
I like to think of "what-if" scenarios, so what do you think would have happened in the original Half-Life if Gordon Freeman hadn't existed?

Would the experiment have still gone awry? Would another scientist have taken your HEV suit and used it himself? Without your interference, would the military have been able to beat back the aliens, or would Xen have conquered the Earth without you killing Nihilanth? Would the tentacle beast in the Blast Pit have ever been killed, or would it have grown larger and larger until it burst out to the surface? What would the G-Man have done without his star pupil?

Also, do you guys think Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and/or Half-Life: Decay really happened? I e-mailed Gabe about it, but I don't think I'm getting a reply.

I'll post some of my own opinions if this thread gets off the ground.

If there were no Gordon, everything would be the same, only Aidrian Shephard would have went to Xen and killed Nihilanth instead. he always looked like G-man's spare Gordon.

Mechagodzilla said:
If there were no Gordon, everything would be the same, only Aidrian Shephard would have went to Xen and killed Nihilanth instead. he always looked like G-man's spare Gordon.

Maybe, but that's assuming Opposing Force really happened. Also, don't you need an HEV suit to survive on Xen? At least a long-jump module.

What do you mean did it really happen? They said it was part of the story, it was written, or at least overseen by the writer of halflife and events in the addons are onsidered in halflife 2. The security guard you escape as in Blue Shift is barney in HL2.

Anyway, it would likely have been shephard who went to Xen...the point about needing an HEV is interestinb ut in the ending sequence there was a part where you see dead soldiers and a damaged tank on zen. Im assuming they died from a fight rather than not having the right gear. If Shephard hadnt killed nihilanth then perhaps they would hace carried on invading through blackmesa (Until it was nuked of course). Then after that they would likely being teleporting in over different parts of the world...if they could.

Instead of Gordon, we would have Bob.

Actually i dont care :p. There are so many different posibilities its just stupid

Farrowlesparrow said:
What do you mean did it really happen? They said it was part of the story, it was written, or at least overseen by the writer of halflife and events in the addons are onsidered in halflife 2. The security guard you escape as in Blue Shift is barney in HL2.

Really? So did Marc Laidlaw "ok" it or whatever? The reason I wondered was because the expansions were made by Gearbox, not Valve, and they seemed to have a somewhat different style to them. For one thing, I think they may have gotten a different voice actor for Barney. Also, "Race-X" seemed kind of tacked on in my opinion. Also, do we know that the Barney in HL2 is from Blue Shift? I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt since you're a moderator.

Any opinions on "Half-Life Decay"? I'm not sure if there were any interesting plot points in that since I never played it.

I cant rememeber where i saw it but im pretty sure that Marc Laidlaw did write the stories. It may have been in the interview with him actually.

Decay was odd, i think it was just a gimmic for the PS2 really. I dont remember it adding anything new as such, but you did learn some more about the story. I cant remember much about it because it wa s while since i played it...It was fun though.

if were no gordon?
nothing would happen!
gordon bring the bad luck to the world!
he deserve to dye!

Back