What is taking so long?

oldfaq

Reaction score
I thought HL2 was done and has been sent, why can't steam users get the game now? I thought it was done...
oldfaq

cuz VALve hates us!

*<RJMC> go to cry*

They have to ship it out to stores for people who don't wish to purchase it online can buy it...

I mean wouldn't Valve be smart and get an early release on Steam? I think they should.... but for some reason I thik they are scrweing with us...
oldfaq

The RC for the game has been sent, more than one have. If it hasn't gone gold yet, then obviouslly theres still a few issues that needs to be ironed out. So, it's not done.

oldfaq said:
I mean wouldn't Valve be smart and get an early release on Steam? I think they should.... but for some reason I thik they are scrweing with us...
oldfaq

as its been said thousnads of times, no, VALVe said they wouldnt and it probably has to do with their contract with VUG....

Valve has what's known in the buisiness world as a "contract." They signed it. It means that they have to fufill the terms of that contract, or face [more] legal action. Undoubtly one of those terms is that they cannot publish the game on thier own, before Vivendi does.

Maybe we will get some news tomorrow. I really hope so. :)

With the option of pre-ordering on Steam, Vivendi is losing more money every single day.

It seems like it'd be in their best interest to release this sucker as soon as possible.....

We know that the first RC was rejected, so they're probably on the 3rd or 4th by now. It shouldn't be too long before it goes gold.

Here is a quote from GameSports Article about the lawsuit...

"According to the two companies' current software publishing agreement, Valve cannot release the game via Steam until the retail version is brought to market by VU Games. That point was confirmed by Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi who said, "Half-Life 2 will be made available to customers who purchase via Steam at the same time it is made available at retail." "

so there you go... according to the agreement they have... Valve can NOT release the game via steam till the day the game hits storeshelves... if I read that correctly... BIG bummer

Vivendi is being a bunch of fat heads.

it's a long weekend people...Thanksgiving long weekend...PATIENCE people!!

If you thought it was out already, you really aren't a fan at all ;)

Anyways, the game has to be done doesn't it? I mean, VALVe does all of the bug testing basically, and most of us have it actually on our computer right now, just encyrpted. So, Vivendi is really just being assholes (which I am sure we all already knew). I don't think Valve could release it on Steam without Vivendis consent, but maybe? If they can, that would be a huge and smart decision by Valve.

7hoR said:
If you thought it was out already, you really aren't a fan at all ;)

Anyways, the game has to be done doesn't it? I mean, VALVe does all of the bug testing basically, and most of us have it actually on our computer right now, just encyrpted. So, Vivendi is really just being assholes (which I am sure we all already knew). I don't think Valve could release it on Steam without Vivendis consent, but maybe? If they can, that would be a huge and smart decision by Valve.

No, if they released HL2 without VU's consent, they'd be faced with even more lawsuits and maybe more delays. Breach of contract = not good.

I don't mean to start a bring bouhaha here and I certainly don't want any flaming of my post, and no I am not a proponent of hacking but hasn't anyone tried to decrypt the files that we have already? We can't be missing much.

satch919 said:
No, if they released HL2 without VU's consent, they'd be faced with even more lawsuits and maybe more delays. Breach of contract = not good.

totally agree! but damn this game should be finished and released last year..

[daniom] said:
totally agree! but damn this game should be finished and released last year..

If you wanted a half-finished game, then yes last year would of been great :p I think i'd hold out for the whole thing though.

So what is a release canidate anyways? If it gets rejected, what does it mean? Does it mean everything, all the tweaks and stuff valve has labored over for these years is a waste, and they need to tweak and finetune even more? People are saying they might be on the 3rd and 4th release canidates. How can that be? I would think there'd be 1 release canidate, and if it fails... another good couple months of working out whatever issues the game has before giving a second release canidate?

7hoR,
What on earth is a Sapphire ATI X800 Pro Mod XT PE 500/560? And what does it do?

NO NO NO. Release candidates being rejected is a very common thing. Take for instance a movie company that has a preview screening of a movie but doesn't like a violent scene that the director has in the movie. Well then they'd go back and fine tune it a bit to get it to the studio's liking. Same with video games. All the fine tuning that they've been doing is absolutely not worthless, without that there would be no game. The game is content complete I'm sure so they're not changing that and they're not changing code as games go code complete before going content complete. Possibly some minor bug fixes and throw in all the legal BS that has been flying back and forth and we could be in for a long wait.

6+ years = enough for 2 games to be done of AT LEAST decent quality. I think either VALVe's work ethic sucks ass or they can code or maybe VU has VALVe by the testicles and VALVe can't do a damn thing until VU stop being dicks. its been almost a month since the first RC was out, this is getting ridiculous. Im pretty sure at this point VALVe and VU are just stalling for the the holidays to make more money, like greedy bitches.

The Silhouette said:
Im pretty sure at this point VALVe and VU are just stalling for the the holidays to make more money, like greedy bitches.
You are just saying something!
At this point, I'm starting to loose my whatever overview of the situation I might have had.
And clearly, I am not the only one who doesnt know what the heck is going on.
All we hear are fuzzy stories, of wich 95% is just the posters interpretation of the teeny weeny rumour of information they heard.

Take a look at the posts in this thread. They're all just crude estimations based on incomplete and possibly wrong information.
Take this 'release date' everyone bases his whole anticipation on, in fact, its what this thread is based on.
This date exists only to please some whining stores demanding a release estimation.
It probably comes from 7 people sitting in a meeting on a rainy friday at 4:30PM, making a quick estimation so that they can go home.
Its not been confirmed because its not the release date!

Why am I posting all this? Well, Im not sure, but seeing all kinds of people keeping up false hope and making up more and more false release dates, just irritates me.

Spock out.

oldfaq said:
I thought HL2 was done and has been sent, why can't steam users get the game now? I thought it was done...
oldfaq

Didn't read the second part.

Umm.. maybe you should have set the timer on the cooker to bake for less? :sniper:

Clavius said:
7hoR,
What on earth is a Sapphire ATI X800 Pro Mod XT PE 500/560? And what does it do?

Radeon X800 Pro graphics card with an overclocked memory and gpu speed, perhaps?

czrsink said:
Radeon X800 Pro graphics card with an overclocked memory and gpu speed, perhaps?

Nope, it should be a X800 Pro vivo flashed with XT PE bios.

Raziaar said:
So what is a release canidate anyways? If it gets rejected, what does it mean? Does it mean everything, all the tweaks and stuff valve has labored over for these years is a waste, and they need to tweak and finetune even more? People are saying they might be on the 3rd and 4th release canidates. How can that be? I would think there'd be 1 release canidate, and if it fails... another good couple months of working out whatever issues the game has before giving a second release canidate?
It depends on the severity of the bugs and problems found in the release candidate.

But we're sitting in here reading these magazine reviews drooling over Half-Life 2, a pre-RC version of HL2. You'd think if consistent 90+ reviews were being achieved for such a version it would be shippable. According to Vivendi it's not good enough!

Evil capitalism theory number one.

1. Vivendi want to release in November because the market will be more "READY". They can drag on the testing process for as long as they want to reach that desired date.

On the other hand this could be perfectly standard procedure. I don't have the knowledge of what usually happens in these circumstances. But if it's not out in December i think somethings gone horribly wrong.

Back