What monsters/enemies do you want to see in the future?

Destron

Reaction score
I would make a poll, but the list is too long.

Anyway, so here's the question:
What monsters or enemies do you want in future Half-Life games that weren't in Half-Life 2?

I can think of a few ---

The bullsquid, the gonome - possibly the houndeye?
And there are a few cancelled enemies I want too - namely the Combine Assassin babe. She looks awesome.

The one that I really do not want is the tentacle... I got so tired of it in HL1.

What do you guys think?

If you mean ones from games prior to Half Life 2, I have no idea.

If you mean create ones then maybe something similar to a Vortigaunt (or maybe even a Vortigaunt) that is like a warrior. He'd like use his powers on people and do weird things to them, like mind control them to kill people. Take into account these Vortigaunts are evil and are probably possessed by something, so they aren't Gordon-friendly.

If you mean ones from games prior to Half Life 2, I have no idea.

If you mean create ones then maybe something similar to a Vortigaunt (or maybe even a Vortigaunt) that is like a warrior. He'd like use his powers on people and do weird things to them, like mind control them to kill people. Take into account these Vortigaunts are evil and are probably possessed by something, so they aren't Gordon-friendly.

err...no, moving on

gargs, gargs, and did i forget to say gargs?

I'd like to see the hydra reworked back into the game, too much potential there. Also medic combine would be cool. It could make firefights last longer and be more interesting if the soldiers could double back to get health, or even be rezzed.

Haha, you mean like those annoying medic-bots in Quake 2 that run around and rez everybody you just killed? That would get annoying fast, but an interesting gameplay item.
As for gargs - That would be cool also. I think there was originally a point in the Half-Life2 opening sequence where the train you're riding on plows through a garg that's sitting on the tracks. :imu:

this is been discussed to saturation point.. anyway, i want the mortar synth, i really want it..

the enemy that i would like to vs (apart from hunter) would b those walking beast type things u see in the citadel at the end of hl2

Icthyosaur, Alien Assassin and Tentacle or Hydra.

I really don't want the assassin.

Agreed. I think the assassin would be fun to spawn for console-constructed battle royales, but she REALLY doesn't fit the gritty atmosphere of the HL2 games.

Alien grunts?

Killable leeches?

Though if there were grunts there'd have to be the hivehand as well... and we know how Valve feels about exotic weapons these days.

I'd like a Sourcified Race X, but that's really asking too much, and that OP4 mod isn't going to get very far.

I want to see more Combine snipers. Diving between cover/using zombies/antlions as a distraction would be cool. Like the Nova Prospekt beachhead, but with snipers.

I don't want the tentacle back, but something like the tentacle would be cool. I like the tentacle, it was different, you had to be slow and careful with it (Unless you just bunnyhopped past it :p). It was a change of pase that I liked.

I think houndeyes could have alot of potential in an open environment if they had some good AI. Pack behaviour could be very interesting.

We need some water enemies, and not just the Ichthyosaur, something that isn't incredibly powerful, but isn't incredibly weak (like the HL1 leeches). Something like a xen-catfish hybrid............

/me is glad he isn't on the design team for Half-Life.

catfish1.jpg

don't laugh catfish can get pretty big

anyway yeah, some megladon or whaleshark sized xen creature would be pretty badass. Especially if you had to swim in its habitat or only had a little dingy to drive across its territory.

Having a xbox heug maw or mass of tentacles coming at you from the murky deep, that would kick so much ass.

Mr. Friendly, Kingpin, Combine Assassin, Alien Assassin, and Combine Guard.

I knew these, courtesy of RTB.

The Combine guard sucked and the alien assassin has already been recycled into the fast zombie. As for Mr. Friendly :naughty:

Oh, and for people who mentioned fish: Valve could always bring back the archer. It was a monster that was cut from HL1, but its model is still in HL's files.

For water creatures how about the Archer from Half-Life 1.
It is a cut-out enemy. It was in the beta or something i think.
You can see it with a model viewer. It's 2 times smaller than you but its better then a leech.

As for Mr. Friendly :naughty:

I love the story behind Mr. Friendly, as told by Ken Birdwell in RTB.

"So, ahh, what's this underneath the monster, Mr. Friendly?"

*pause*

"That's his penis."

*pause*

"Uh huh."

how 'bout the chumtoad? :D

Seconded!

It's got to return! It didn't make it as an easter egg in the main game, I'm disappointed: a drawer in Breen's desk in his office would've been the perfect place!

Icthyosaur Synth.
Some sort of flying infantry smaller than a gunship, but bigger than a Manhack. Maybe more like a hovering turret-like thing?

I really hate Manhacks...

Enormous boss like walking machine that is like a large tank.

Next stage human enemies with those adapted forces already there

going a little off but, i was playing quake 4 today, and i saw how the soldiers are able to jump directly out of the line of my fire.. i wish the combine soldiers could do this. i mean i always end up killing them with ease with some direct fire..

I really don't want the assassin.

What do you like? What would you want to see later on in Half-Life?

I'd like to see bull squids again, for one thing. If I encountered one up close in Half-Life, it always felt like a force to be feared if it were to get you, what with the speed and the power. If they were to make them stronger and harder to kill, I think it would be a good enemy to see every now and then.

More gargs are a must. Who wouldn't want to watch one torch a bunch of soldiers or topple a strider?

My comment to Samon aside, I wouldn't want to see the Assassin (it just doesn't go with the feel of Half-Life.. hard to say, I guess it's just too flashy, where as Half-Life has more of a gritty feel to it), but I would like to see some sort of assassin type unit later. It makes no sense that the Combine wouldn't send something of the sort after Gordon.

I'm not fussed about anything from the previous HL games; least of all the gargantua. I just want to have crab and mortar synths see some service in the forests. Though it's too late for that now; they won't be in the game.

Return of the Snark would be nice.

Snarks, but not as a usable weapon might work. The snark sacs could be attached to trees, and you must use the gravity gun to pull them off/shoot them.

I wonder about the Antlion King/Queen, since there will be underground Antlion caves, maybe there will be the king or queen. I remember reading in RTB that the reason why it was cut because back in the development sages of HL2, it was cut because they cut the antlion caves.

I don't know, I am not satisfied with just 2 new enemies. See this is why I want a full game, you get about some where between 10-20 new enemies. I understand where the Episode's are coming from, they want content out quicker, and they want to hear the fans response on what can be done better, etc.

If I had the choice to either wait a year for a episode with 5 chapters, and 6-8 hours of gameplay, or wait 2-5 years, with 15-17 chapters, and 20 or so hours of gameplay. I would definatly pick the full, simply because of the more factor, I wouldn't mind waiting... that is unless its a decade.

I like new enemies too, probably the 3 mark as the games are only around 6 hours. But really, quality>quantity - no amount of enemies will make the game better, it is a flawed idea. The gameplay stands well on it's own, and doesn't/shouldn't require more enemies type to do so. That's for games like Halo, where all you do is shoot shoot shoot. Valve have clearly gone to great lengths to ensure their new enemy types are woven into the game, rather than just being there for the sake of being. The Hunter looks to play an immense role.

I like new enemies too, probably the 3 mark as the games are only around 6 hours. But really, quality>quantity - no amount of enemies will make the game better, it is a flawed idea. The gameplay stands well on it's own, and doesn't/shouldn't require more enemies type to do so. That's for games like Halo, where all you do is shoot shoot shoot. Valve have clearly gone to great lengths to ensure their new enemy types are woven into the game, rather than just being there for the sake of being. The Hunter looks to play an immense role.

I see what you mean and where you stand, well, I was thinking it would be a nice if it where like a Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2 type of transition. The dramatic change between the 2, all the new beautiful environments, all the new characters, and the new enemies, interms of content.

In Half-Life 2, there was alot of new quality enemies, but in these Episode's, there's like 1 or 2 new enimies per Episode (I don't know if I would call the Antlion Grubs enemies). When all 3 episode's are finished, I don't it would equate to all the "new enemies" (Poison Headcrab, Fast Headcrab, Fast Zombie, Poison Zombie, Strider, Gunship, Overwatch heli, Civil Protection, Overwatch Soldiers, and Overwatch Elite to go along with the classic Headcrab, Zombie, and Barnacle) Half-Life 2 had when it released.

I just had a vision of a forest full of trees in the distance and a single tree rising above the rest, moving and clawing and crashing into something unseen down on the surface. In other words, I want the tentacle to return. I have since I first heard of HL2.

Back