what the combine is shooting?

I thought it might be either
Gordon sneaking up on a Combine that is shooting at something near a ladder out of the water (alyx, DOG etc)

or in the barricade video you see barney in something that ooks rather similar to a Combine police uniform without the mask helmet. Maybe its barney who has just been talking to you and is shooting the scanner to prevent it reporting back?

Lads ill say this once.It is probly just Valve showing off the Combine.There are other shots (The one with the Combine following the ant lion blood trail) with similar characteristics.(No hud or Reticle)

On first look, I thought it was an Ichthyosaur in the water. However, on closer inspection, it seems like a man-made object. It's too small to be a boat (compare it to the size of the bollards near it) so it could be a type of scanner. Remember, it doesn't have to be on the water but hovering above it. Perhaps the splash was created by some sort of vertical thrust from whatever it is.

Or maybe we've just seen DOG for the first time?

I think this is something similar to what is in the water,perhaps a little smaller.( the one in the HL2 screeny that is,however the colours match)

Maybe you are all wrong.. Maybe he is shooting a huge turd?

if you copy the picture and paste it as a bmp file then you can zoom in real close like. m'kay. Then you shall see children that there is no spoon- i mean um... it's not a boat! ya it's not a boat. it's most likely DOG. cause boats don't generaly stick that far out of the water as you will see when you zoom in. It's clearly made of metal if that helps anyone. (i doubt it will.) i'm writing this message at 3.34 am. i'm tired and slightly disgruntled, m'kay. if i'm not right in the end (chances are i'll be off by a long shot) don't everyone gang rape me because i was wrong.

no, no NO! HE IS SHOOTING AT JESUS! END OF MOTHER ****ING STORY! NOW CLOSE THIS ****ING THREAD!

If it is a boat...

Then it is the airboat which is in the beta. It's like two floatey things with a huge propeller on the back. In fact the shape of that boat in that screenshot looks virtually identical.

i'm writing this message at 3.34 am. i'm tired and slightly disgruntled, m'kay. if i'm not right in the end (chances are i'll be off by a long shot) don't everyone gang rape me because i was wrong.
Nevermind...

He is shooting at a negro trying to escape from massa. It is very sad, and very true. That is why you guys don't see anything, he blends right into the water.

Dougy said:
Could it be an object that the combine "shot" into the water?

those splashes are a tad big for sub machine gun rounds....

Not necessarily true, I believe that it is in fact splash from the rounds. I'm not ruling out a boat in HL2 could be possible, but it's not in that screen shot.

Beta spoilers isht ghey! [We don't want your sort around these parts!!]

Back