What Valve Has Acheived

UndercoverBob said:
doom 3s engine is dark and forboding

the engine is not dark, the game is. you can use the doom engine to make a game the has all the fancy shadows but not as dark- and with an environment that is well lit or bright. you do realise that dont you. thats like saying the quake 1/2 engine is brown and green and thats how everytihng has to be in a game with that engine! and we know how different halflife was, using essentially the same engine

thats just something that annoys me, people saying the engine itself is dark because its been used to create a dark atmosphere for a game

Seriously, some of you guys have NO IDEA what you're talking about. DATED??!? If you're 13 then I guess the two years these kind of graphics have been around seem a lot to you.

No engine is perfect. There are things HL2 can do that doom3 simply can't. Rendering massive landscapes is one of them. It will take many years before this engine you describe enventually does come out.

[edit] Think of HL2 and D3 as 'pieces' of the perfect engine. D3 does lighting better, HL2 has bigger and more detailed worlds.

D3 is a good engine, but as someone said above it doesn't do lighting perfectly.

DarkStar said:
I think the term you're all looking for is "art-direction." This is where HL2 outshines just about any game.

Here's a quote. I quoted it in order to emphasise the point inside.

So many other games are just so generic looking.

Hey, a zombie. only he's got METAL PARTS!
Ooooh, never seen that before.

That soldier wears camo-green armour plates.
I'm in a wonderland of originality!

:x

A good engine is half the battle. Actually making something decently original with it is the other half. Hence, the importance of good art direction.

glad we finally have a thread discussing this :)

No matter what the HL2 engine comes out to look like...Just remember. It happend with HL and will with HL2. Someday a mod will come along that will just blow our minds away (Natural Selection for HL) graphics wise.

Anyhow, I think HL2 looks amazing...Doom 3 is wierd in the sense that it looks so real, it's cartoony...

Tlaloc said:
natural selection should move to D3 engine

Natural Selection is too bright a game, the Doom 3 engine won't be able to handle so much light.

dont know/dont care if this has been posted already, but i think the thing that'l make hl2's textures stand out is the fact they LOOK like a real town (as it's based on, to some extent, a town!)

So when you play doom 3 in a base on mars, you cant compare, you can think "that regenatron 2000 looks really realistic!" but in hl2 it'l be like "wow that shop looks like a shop!"

HL2 will look amazing just because we can relate to it, not because its ground breaking graphics wise.

ok this is just to demonmerc
im 13 and i know just as much about gfx as you or any other person
im not saying all 13 year olds are all smart but plz dont steriotype

bodhi said:
the engine is not dark, the game is. you can use the doom engine to make a game the has all the fancy shadows but not as dark- and with an environment that is well lit or bright. you do realise that dont you. thats like saying the quake 1/2 engine is brown and green and thats how everytihng has to be in a game with that engine! and we know how different halflife was, using essentially the same engine

thats just something that annoys me, people saying the engine itself is dark because its been used to create a dark atmosphere for a game

Well.... it's limited to darkness to a certain extent by current hardware capabilities. Because you need multiple lights to properly light a room because of the lack of radiosity. Unless you're gonna work with ambient lights, which wouldn't be completely realistic.

i think HL2 is more a realistic engine that looks like the real world and DOOM3 is like a fake sci-fi movie

UndercoverBob said:
i think HL2 is more a realistic engine that looks like the real world and DOOM3 is like a fake sci-fi movie

I agree...the doom3 engine was nice and a lot of the monsters looked pretty real...but i remeber the times when you'd go outside onto "mars" and it looked unrealistic. Whereas from the videos HL2 is looking 10x better in the outdoor environments

DOOM3 looks like a movie but a movie like Final fanasiy you no with the computer animation. HL2 is looks real not like a 3d anamated movie

KagePrototype said:
Natural Selection is too bright a game, the Doom 3 engine won't be able to handle so much light.
lol

But seriously Natural Selection would be perfect for the Doom 3 engine. They could make it dark. There are aliens and humans. The game is already exactly like Doom 3 story wise. Humans versus aliens in a future setting.

ya i can just imagine a quick shadow go by.. or your hidding behind a corner and a huge dark shadow could go by.. or Nightvision and alien HEAT VISION WOULD BE AWESOME

Back