What will this scandal be named? Nvidiagate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alehm

Reaction score
http://www.techreport.com/etc/2003q3/valve/index.x?pg=1

Gabe has said some interesting things that really could put Nvidia into the frying pan. I doubt it is anything personal on Gabes part, he like us fellow gamers, just want to be able to have the best gaming experience possible.

He said they had seen cases where fog was completely removed from a level in one of Valve's
games, by the graphics driver software, in order to improve performance. I asked him to clarify which game, and he
said it was Half-Life 2. Apparently, this activity has gone on while the game is still in development.
He also
mentioned that he's seen drivers detect screen capture attempts and output higher quality data than what's
actually shown in-game.

That second part really gets me angry. Making screenshots look better than what actual gameplay is more than an "optimisation" it is downright deception.

You know, I've tended to notice that Screenshots look better than Videos in some games.

I noticed it the most in Farcry.

They generally do because screenshots can be more considered so you can get the best, most flattering angle, etc. Videos show it moving and so certain flaws will come to the fore - animation glitches, etc.

hmm.. i hope this doesnt make nvidia going down. I hate nVidia, but if ATI is going to dominate this area and th battle between the 2 is over. the prices are going to be high

We'll just have to wait until the next line-up of cards and hope nVidia gets their act together.

thats nothing compared to the 3dmark03 scandal..
if you havent heard about that, read this

Seems strange:
3dfx rules roost... New competitor: nVidia.
nVidia eats 3dfx...
nVidia rules roost... Old competitor strengthens: ATi
ATi begins to eat nVidia... nVidia whirls its fans so loudly that no-one can play games without ear-muffs

Originally posted by el Chi
Seems strange:
3dfx rules roost... New competitor: nVidia.
nVidia eats 3dfx...
nVidia rules roost... Old competitor strengthens: ATi
ATi begins to eat nVidia... nVidia whirls its fans so loudly that no-one can play games without ear-muffs
You forgot 2 words: industrial grade ear-muffs :)
The orginal FX had a noise level that was dangerously high. And I do mean that, it was near the dB for hearing damage in prolonged exposure.

Originally posted by dawdler
You forgot 2 words: industrial grade ear-muffs :)
The orginal FX had a noise level that was dangerously high. And I do mean that, it was near the dB for hearing damage in prolonged exposure.

Bullshit. Unless perhaps you were stupid enough to insert an fx up your ear canal (granted, if you bought one of those first fx cards, you might be).

Use an existing thread for this topic please, we're getting too many Nvidia/ATi topics at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back