What will you do with the manipulator?

WaterMelon34

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
Ima try throwing a pop can at a guy then throwing a matress at 'em so he falls over and hits his head on a steel barrel, the barrel falls over and knocks more barrels and a shelf over then you pick up the dude and throw him into the wreckage and watch as he tries to scramble out of all the rubble then you grab him and hold him under water till he drowns.. huh? huh?

I'd also like to throw a few matresses on water and let em drift a bit then throw a scientist on them and see how he deals with this "cast away" scenario.

How about you?

(I think peeps should make a GTA type mod for HL2 so you can experiment with the awesome physics in a WHOLE CITY!? Endless possibilities! Eg. throw a cat at a speeding cop car and see what happens, and get on a bus and throw a skrewdriver out the window at someone.)

I will make a rain of objects flying everywhere!!!!!!
A TOTAL CRAZY STUFF!!!!!!!

*<RJCM> laugh maniaticaly*

im gonna make some crazy objects by welding barrels and bits and bobs together, (as this feature I believe is available) ,

then perhaps take my new creation around with me, and gore a few Combine soldiers and resistance members with it (mwwa ha ha :) ),, but I believe it will mostley be a spur of the moment thing :p

laz45 said:
you can't lift people

You can if you change around some settings in the console

Anyhow, this isn't a place to discuss the stolen build

can anyone say... MATTRESS FORTRESS, or a HEADCRAB PRISON OF BARRELS!!!

ShaithEatery said:
can anyone say... MATTRESS FORTRESS, or a HEADCRAB PRISON OF BARRELS!!!

id like to c this new official mod : Matress Fortress Classic (MFC)

i think ill modify the buggy to look like a car in NFSU, put some spoilers and tinted windows on it n stuff like that... :thumbs:

Does anyone remember the llama cages from the renegade(I think) mod for tribes? Those were so much fun, you would put up 3 walls around an inventory station and some llama(n00b) would go up to the station and then you would put a wall behind him LOL.

What will I do? Well I'll probably go and modify it to allow for more cooperative features.

Goliath_1986 said:
id like to c this new official mod : Matress Fortress Classic (MFC)

i think ill modify the buggy to look like a car in NFSU, put some spoilers and tinted windows on it n stuff like that... :thumbs:

lmao! What a badass idea, you could make the matresses stick to each other and make buildings and barricades out of them. :LOL:

ya, and then watch your comp go boom as it tries to calculate how they should move as anything hits them.

Daiceman9 said:
ya, and then watch your comp go boom as it tries to calculate how they should move as anything hits them.

Ssshhhh! They'll hear you!

what ???

SOURCE engine = SOURCE of universe

then what will calculate how the parts of the computer will fly if the SOURCE is not there anymore ? u cant destroy the SOURCE...the SOURCE is universal.
never heard of The SOURCE, The SOURCE reloaded and the SOURCE revolutions ?

most likely ima try grabbing things such as barrels and not only using em as shields but using them as melee weapons.. im interested to see if given enough velocity (running or falling) onto an enemy, if having an object in your hand at all times would prove to be a useful weapon as well as shield :)

and if welding is possible... oh man.. watch out.. id be making a fortress of junk that would make the combine towers look like an ant hill.

speaking of ants, if that welding feature (which makes me REALLY excited) is true... knowing myself it wouldnt take long before i set up a barricade of welded junk and trap a couple of combine soldiers within it... and toy with them for hours.. watch how they work and let them suffer slowly like the ants theyve become! bwahahaha!
:LOL:

oh and then i would throw pillows/matresses and other harmless items like CRAZY onto my enemies and see HOW the possibly could crawl out of it.. i mean what kind of animation files could predict such things? if they couldnt and the soldiers just remained squished, or worse, not even effected i would be supremely dissapointed.

-Epsil0n

I'm gonna try and juggle stuff. 2 items at first, then i'm going to add more while i'm still juggling!

epsil0n said:
and if welding is possible... oh man.. watch out.. id be making a fortress of junk that would make the combine towers look like an ant hill.

Lol, I can just picture two guys in a co-op mod. One dude has the manipulator and picks up a sheet of steel. He launches it up to the other guy with the welder. The welder presses the use key to grab the piece of steel and tacks it into place. They keep doing this and making the structure taller and taller until it looks like a big, crappy skyscraper to rival the combine tower in height.

"Hey Johnny, incoming!" *launches sheet of steel with manipulator*

"Got it!" *grabs steel and welds in to the rest of the junk*

Lol, funny :bounce:

I'll pick up a headcrab (possible due to its lightweight), and launch directly into the air.
Then I'll time how long it takes to fall back to Earth (If it does fall back)

Capture a Manhack in the manipulators beam, and launch it into a group of combine soldiers (Decapitating Fun!!!)

wtf is all this about a welder. no official source has even mentioned this. you've just made it up.

frances_farmer said:
wtf is all this about a welder. no official source has even mentioned this. you've just made it up.

It would be possible through a modification

frances_farmer said:

can't really remember whether it was released or leaked info, but its been discussed before. if you're interested, a forum search will find some good threads.

Ill find a 12 ft ditch, fill it with water, put a few combine soldiers in it, then throw many many many matresses to cover the surface, to see if they can get out OR ill just throw zombies or grenades in with them

dude they aren't going to have "scramble out from underneath mattress" animations.. or "scramble out from underneath mattress while swimming" animations.

I want to see what the combine will do if I barricade myself in a house. Block the doors with a lot of stuff and then shoot them from the windows.

hmm

I think I'll dabble in creating mattress domino sequences... that would make for some interesting demos...

frances_farmer said:

No he didn't. Search some shady places on the net and you'll see.

i wonder what happens when a guy with a manipulator picks up another guy holding a manipulator and they both use it each on the other

I dont thhink that you can pick up other people with the manipulator.

No probably not.

I bet the manipulator could be easily modded into a grappling hook. I always love grappling hooks :)
The best has always been the Q1 hook. I havent used anything better. Ever.

depends how light they are.

I like the House idea were you barricade your self in, but I would use wave-upon-wave of zombies, and I would see how long I could last

Mind you, you will only have limited ammo

Yes you can, it shows the player throw a dude into a table in the bink vids.

[EDIT] : Can't wait till I throw something at a dude that's looking over a very high ledge... "DIE!" *Throws pop can at enemy* "AHHH!!!!" *Falls off cliff*

must be implemented in a mod, im pretty sure its moddable.
in case it is, i guess that once someone picked you up with the manipulator you cant use any weapon, or at least your own manipulator.

When HL2 comes out ima make a map called Can_You_Do_21_Tricks. So you set a bunch of crap up and obstacles and tell the player to get to the finish line. (Eg. There is water in your way so you have to build a raft of junk and float to the other side. And, create a chain reaction that sends a barrel into a target and you'll be teleported to the next obstacle.)

That type of map worked in StarCraft... maybe it'll work in HL2.

What will I do with the manipulator?

Everything! :p
I'm going to try to beat the game without firing any bullets. (Except for maybe ones that I find on the ground and launch at people).

Also, it would be cool if you could ironically fire a medkit at your enemy, rendering him unconcious.
Not to mention all the brass on the ground after a firefight.
Or shoot a gun (literally) at your opponent.
So many possibilities!

doubt you can pick up the shells. they'll prolly just disappear when they hit the ground and aren't physicically simulated.

Well, they'll be physically simulated, they already are in HL1, try firing guns with the gravity set to 0, or to lower than normal, the shells do obey physical forces like gravity.

They'll probably be temporary entities though, so they'll fade away after a while, and so will probably be un-manipulable.

medkits are 3d objects too so you'll probably be able to do that ;),

im pretty sure welding balls are the manipulators secondary fire, being as the manipulator is a well known weapon, I thought it wouldnt hurt to exite people by giving away this feature :D . afterall it seems its another cause for hype, and we need all the hype we can get at the moment ;)

Back