What will you do with the SDK?

BlazeKun

Spy
Reaction score
Wow! I thought of a new topic that hasn't been done a million times before! Me? I will probobly start creating a map to test a bunch of stuff I've been dying to test for ages = D I'm really interested in scripting working objects, like maybe a pinball machine, or a small arcade game or something. A working computer would be good too.

I'm gona start with the new hammer editor. I wan't to see whats new. Then I will go about seeing how you import objects and most importantly vehicals. Then I will get started looking at whatever code I get. :)

I will start to play around with the Hammer editor, then the code and all the other programs with it.... i cant wait!

I have NO idea how to do anything with it, but i think i will have a lil fiddle and see what happens.
I guess it will be WAY too hard for me.

Since I hv litlle knowledge on anything but gaming (I've done 1 Red Faction map so far) I'll ask a friend to mk my THE 3RD EXPERIMENT mod idea.

I'll make sure my mod team has it and start getting them to work!

This is going to be insane.. I'll never download the SDK unless I wait 4 hours in line.. Insane but FUN!! I'll really have a party!

I guess I'll tweak with vehicles.. I don't know C++, but I'm gonna get into mapping w/Hammer.

Whats your mod team doing?

I'm thinking of just tinkering, add lots of little fun things that I like :) I wish I could make models :/

I'd be interested in doing an GTA style game (probably open-source). Unfortunately I'm only a coder.

I sent an e-mail to Valve asking them to upgrade the Hammer into something more newbie-friendly lk the Far Cry editor that basically let's you hv a 3d view of your map while your making it ( lk startegy games map editors).
No response yet.

I plan on staring at the data, and wonder just how all of that garbage works. :)

P.S. I'm back.

I don't think thats possible Sparfa, they are two completely different ways on making maps. But there is a 3d view in the HL2 hammer and its suppost to be an improvement on the HL1 hammers version so it should be ok :)

I will over analyze everything and try to find a clue on hl2s release date.

Well the hammer in the leak is much easier then HL1's editor. The way properties are set to enties is much more simple. Also the 3d view lets you pretty much see what it looks like in game without running the game.

heheh, don't you go tempting me to download the illegal stolen files (Its not a beta god damn it)

And anyway, am I like the only person here who still hasnt downloaded it?!?!?

marksmanHL2 :) said:
And anyway, am I like the only person here who still hasnt downloaded it?!?!?

I didn't downloaded the beta crap either. I just don't want to play a beta game with alot of bugs, errors and defect engine. :)

Well... I'll only download it if I'm at home (not at Uni where the connexion is rubbish) and Half-Life 2 hasn't been released yet. If I download it on the day it comes out I'll probably just go "ESS DEE KAY" to my contacts on MSN, ring up my friends and go "ESS DEE KAY", go on IRC and type "ESS DEE KAY" and then download it, say "ESS DEE KAY" to more friends/family. After all that I'll just look at it and not do anything because I don't have any mod ideas and I don't really have a clue.

It's nice to have plans.

I am going to make a mod... Heh, first I have to figure out how to use hammer.I have it on my comp I just never learned how to use it. IMO, UnrealEd is much easier. The waiting lines will be insane. I hope the Steam servers can handle it.:| I would d/l the illegal thang. I just can't find the time and internet power to download a file of its size.I have seen screens and movies so I guees I have technically played it.

I think I'm going to have a mess round with VGUI2, see if I can get it to work on the desktop, and what it's capable of. Then try and make something silly in Hammer.

heheh I might make a physics map. With turn tables that turn very Very fast!
Then step on them! stuff like that. Try stuff with ropes too. Maybe some sort of centrifugal thing... (I know i can't spell)

I have alot of ideas to test. Including using hammer to make my old house and old neighborhood to remind me of it.... now that i have moved... :bounce:

I just thought of something else I wanna make, TOPS!!! you know, like those little spinning things. Maybe something that shoots tops somehow. I guess I'll have to make a prop for them tho, eh well my skills in 3ds are good enough to make a simple top.

oh the posibilities........... :cheese:

Actually first thing i am gona test is how big the maps actually are. At the moment I am finding it hard to picture what the size would be even though I know all the figures. Also I wan't to scale the units down and see just how HUGE it can go :p

marksmanHL2 :) said:
oh the posibilities........... :cheese:

Actually first thing i am gona test is how big the maps actually are. At the moment I am finding it hard to picture what the size would be even though I know all the figures. Also I wan't to scale the units down and see just how HUGE it can go :p

Remember that scaling the units down won't scale down the physics. Also remember to make some cool 3d skyboxes for a seemingly larger environment = )

Feath said:
Well... I'll only download it if I'm at home (not at Uni where the connexion is rubbish) and Half-Life 2 hasn't been released yet. If I download it on the day it comes out I'll probably just go "ESS DEE KAY" to my contacts on MSN, ring up my friends and go "ESS DEE KAY", go on IRC and type "ESS DEE KAY" and then download it, say "ESS DEE KAY" to more friends/family. After all that I'll just look at it and not do anything because I don't have any mod ideas and I don't really have a clue.

It's nice to have plans.
What he said, except that I will probarly try to eat it too.

Im gonna burn my copy of it and then redownload it and the burn it and redownload. Well you know were im going with this

I'm gonna download it, install it, open it, stare blankly at it for a while, click some random things, then possibly eat a biscuit and forget about it because it was far too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend.

I want to try to make a scientist killing level if its possible. I wanna try putting a sci on a shelf high up and breaking the shelf supports, sending the sci to a falling death. Then Ill pick him up with a grav gun and shoot him into the explosive barrel pile, and proceed to throw a grenade at the pile.

Or not

I need to figure out how to take the view from your characters eyes and be able to control it like a camera (for cutscenes and stuff). That might take a while. But, hey, maybe it's already implemented. That'd be lucky.

The SDK won't ship with the retail copy of HL2? I guess that's another way for Valve to 'persuade' people to install Steam. Greedy SOBs.

I want to make a map where its a giant room or open landscape outside thing and put a bunch of throwable stuff on the ground and then the only gun that people could get would be the manipulator. It would be so great with a bunch of people, think of all the shit flying in the air.

I will probably only be able to get one box on the ground and it would not be able to be picked up.

I tried to make a map for HL1 and I had a really good idea but some how i ended up with a big room with a gigantic table.

jet jaguar said:
The SDK won't ship with the retail copy of HL2? I guess that's another way for Valve to 'persuade' people to install Steam. Greedy SOBs.

1) Who said the SDK won't come with the game? It's fesible that it will come with the game.

2) Who said that you can only download it off Steam? It's going to be available off Steam but Valve will probably have it available to download.

3) What's wrong with Steam? I've recently installed it again and have had no problems whatsoever.

4) Why are they greedy? They don't particularly make money from you having a free program on your computer.

ill probably get it, stare at it wondering WTF im doing. mess around with some stuff, self teach my self how to use it, then eventually build a catapult, load it up with various item and launch them at a target. get a bunch of watermelons in there, sharp pointy knives, and a flaming boulder.

How about theres a siege on a castle with scientist flinging catapults ((as already said))

Back