What would you like to bring back?

FrostXian

Reaction score
From Half Life 1, what do you want to bring back to Half Life 2 (and episodes, ofcourse)? It can range from the lazers that one-shot you to the marines or the giant tentacles.

The jump,when you press crtl,forward and space at the same time!That was a killer to do in multiplayer!

Satchels?

I'd bring back Scientists sprawling around in random places giving you random jabs with needles :p

And probably Houndeyes. Hate bullsquids.

Do you mean that have relation to the story? Because I'd probably pick something like the HECU and Black Ops.

Although I want the crappy Gman skin back. It was more creepy :p

I want the Race X back, so they can have an active role in the story.
But the combine probably already f*cked them up.

Remote bombs that look like little backpacks.

Ooh, the remote bombs. Yeah, they were so awesome. Just like plant a load and watch the fireworks. Was great. I loved the wallmines too. I think I have a screenie somewhere of an HECU with a wallmine on his arse. Was a hilarious moment :D.

Screenie's probably on an old computer, dead somewhere :(

I want the Race X back, so they can have an active role in the story.
But the combine probably already f*cked them up.

Race X was introduced in Opposing Force. Thus, not being a Valve game, its unlikely they are going to be introduced again.

Gluon gun. And bullsquid. And satchels.

The SLAMs, although they're only in multiplayer. :(

I'd bring back the houndeyes, they were fun to fight... and seeing the gluon gun on Source would be spiffy.

I'd really want to bring snarks and maybe the hivehand.

The barnacle gun was awesome, as was the random wrench and I liked the laser sight on the deagle. They were from OF though. The Tau Cannon was fun too...

Refresh my memory... SLAMs?

Cockroaches and rats.

Maybe a return to Black MEsa would make a good game? OR was it nuked?

Was playing Uplink on Saturday. Found one. Squished it.

Bullsquids and HoundEyes. In leaked HL2, you see them planning to add them back. HoundEyes were more like dogs looking to sound files and some scripts. They barked and so. Bullsquids were like crocodiles.

*shudders at horrible red-tentacly-mouth-things*. Hound-eyes were just funny.

First of all, the Hydra (even though it's not from HL1). She'd make an awesome replacement for the tentacles.

Then the Garg. Of everything I encountered in the first HL series, that thing was probably the most fearsome of all.

But it was like... indestructable. And there's not random generators hanging around everywhere you know :p

Any Xennic wildlife. Bullsquids, tentacles, glow-stalks, etc.

What would be awesome, is a level where you're on the coast, and if you watch the water you see an Itchiasaur surface and dive.

I'd really like the gauss gun back. And not that crappy one on the car. Really was such a strong weapon, and its introduction was awesome. Powerful, and unstable. I remember how it suddenly killed me while gauss flying back in Half-life1 multi player :) (Although i never found out if it was because i hit a certain surface, such as metal?)

I'd really like the gauss gun back. And not that crappy one on the car. Really was such a strong weapon, and its introduction was awesome. Powerful, and unstable. I remember how it suddenly killed me while gauss flying back in Half-life1 multi player :) (Although i never found out if it was because i hit a certain surface, such as metal?)

In some amazingly rare occasisons, it ricochets right back in your face if you shoot directly at a wall with a proper angle.

Shit happens :hmph:

The barnacle gun was awesome, as was the random wrench and I liked the laser sight on the deagle. They were from OF though. The Tau Cannon was fun too...

Refresh my memory... SLAMs?

weapon_slam.jpg

S.L.A.M

The "Selectable Lightweight Attack Munition" is a handy explosive device with two functions. One is an old favourite making a return from Half-Life Deathmatch and that is that you can attach it to a wall and it will transmit a red trip-laser so that any unwitting victim to walk through and break this trip-laser will cause the mine to detonate. The second is yet another favourite from Half-Life where you can just lob the mine on the floor and remotely detonate it later when a victim is in range.

I'd bring back Scientists sprawling around in random places giving you random jabs with needles

That's something that bothers me a whole lot. How do you tell the scientists to heal you when your health is in the red? The Use key just tells them whether to follow or not. I think one has only ever healed me once, and I don't remember how.

Same with the Vortigaunts in Episode Two. Sometimes it says "your suit shows signs of wear" but it doesn't do anything, and sometimes I just see my power go up a bit, or see some green glowing ball, especially during the antlion guardian battle.

Is there anyway to "make" the Vortigaunt charge your suit?

The scis in HL1 only heal you when your health is below 50.

And when they do, there's a 5-10 minute cooldown before they do it again.

I need to investigate on the vortie though

Definitely the trip mines. They are much better than the hopper mines.
Also an upgraded version of the houndeyes and bullsquids would be awesome.

I very much hope to add a "xen forest" in my mod. Thanks for some ideas from this thread of what people want.

Just a question, if they created totally new creatures, would you like it?

I very much hope to add a "xen forest" in my mod. Thanks for some ideas from this thread of what people want.

Just a question, if they created totally new creatures, would you like it?

Eh, we already have antlions.

How about nothing "old" but some new creatures. If youwant to see HL1 creatures, play HL1.

I would like to see the HL1 soldiers. Not literally, as in, Marine grunts... I mean the menace they posed. Their AI seemed so much better than the Combine in HL2. The grunts ducked behind cover, covered each other during a gunfight, flanked you... and the black op ninjas! Do you remember how much of a OMGWTFBBQ moment it was when a black ops assassin-babe did a ninja-flip OVER YOUR HEAD, landed in a perfect crouch, turned and let loose with the silenced pistol? Do you remember how all the tactics you had cultivated against the Xen creatures and the grunts suddenly went out the window, and you found yourself shooting wildly and running for cover, saying OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT over and over? Then you'd find a quiet spot in the warehouse, but only for a few seconds, because you can hear the pitter-patter of ninja feet pacing around looking for you...

That was my single favorite moment in gaming.

As much as I love Half-Life 2 and the episodes for the world they created, the themes they present, and the physics and realism they bring to the table... the sheer combat isn't as fast-paced or challenging, and the AI seems dumbed-down. We've yet to see an equivalent to the Black Ops Oh Shit moment in the HL2 universe. The combine don't flank each other or duck behind things for cover... at best, they run from a grenade, but otherwise, they're running at you stupidly, which makes them easy targets. I fail to understand how the AI got worse over the years since HL1 in 1998.

How about nothing "old" but some new creatures. If youwant to see HL1 creatures, play HL1.

In that case, why doesn't every episode have different creatures...? It'd just make it more... real? if we had creatures appearing again. Otherwise everyone's just like.. where the hell did they go??

I would like to see the HL1 soldiers. Not literally, as in, Marine grunts... I mean the menace they posed. Their AI seemed so much better than the Combine in HL2.

No... just no. I played uplink again recently. And just no...

Sure, they duck back, it its at such regular intervals that you know when they're going to do it, and even if you're already firing, they'll still run back again. And they do things like plant grenades in the middle of themselves and run. Or not run.

Aah, like the tripmines from HL then.

Gonarch's weaker version, that means a headcrab with not that great defence.

If I had a portal gun in Half-Life, I'd portal that sorry Gonarch's ass over a cliff!

If I had a portal gun in Half-Life, I'd portal that sorry Gonarch's ass over a cliff!

It'd be awesome if your Portal gun eventually hits the bottom ground up high from the cliff. Could be useful for big aliens, but could use also bigger portals.

Back