What's better than Radeon X800 XT?

i have the new socket boards 99 sumit r other,a 925x mobo,anyway whats the deal with them anyway,prescott i mean? :eek:

only 1 gig? 2 gig might be better

anyway, if you want to wait you can be able to buy the new 512 mb radeon when its out

a gig would be fine,a powerful processor is more worthwhile

Yeah 1GB is all you want. It might get tricky to go above 1GB without loosing performance. You would need 2 1GB sticks (yet they don't offer timings as low as 512MB sticks). Any other config and it would loose performance for the most part because of the chipsets not being able to handle more than 4 banks of memory (groups of chips on the memory, not slots).

jimbo118 said:
i have the new socket boards 99 sumit r other,a 925x mobo,anyway whats the deal with them anyway,prescott i mean? :eek:
Prescott being the name they give to this specific version of the Pentium 4. It's a modified version of how the classic P4 works. Basicly they needed something to clock higher so they got it but there are a number of times it's performance doesn't hold. Still faster than the old P4's which only go to 3.2 (not counting the EE) but it they could have got that core beyond 3.4 then they actually would perform better.

Asus said:
Yeah 1GB is all you want. It might get tricky to go above 1GB without loosing performance. You would need 2 1GB sticks (yet they don't offer timings as low as 512MB sticks). Any other config and it would loose performance for the most part because of the chipsets not being able to handle more than 4 banks of memory (groups of chips on the memory, not slots).

Prescott being the name they give to this specific version of the Pentium 4. It's a modified version of how the classic P4 works. Basicly they needed something to clock higher so they got it but there are a number of times it's performance doesn't hold. Still faster than the old P4's which only go to 3.2 (not counting the EE) but it they could have got that core beyond 3.4 then they actually would perform better.
it justs shows much of a nerd ive become that i found what you just posted really interesting,btw i have a intel925x mobo,what socket is that? ;)

edit:also because i have a p4 is that reason why i get the odd slowdown,you know when you said '*cough* prescott'

It could be. They have been known to cause that in games. It's more than enough performance...just less than CPUs would/could do.
The new P4 system with DDR2 memory and PCI Express is Socket 775.

If you want to read on that memory issue. link

yeah you know your stuff,got any tweaks or tidbits to increase performance?

well guys... so far i'll be able to play all games without problems, excepting doom 3 right? :naughty: anyways my favorite game will be HL2 :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Small correction, HT on an Athlon 64 means HyperTransport.

Oh, btw, Pentium DOES have a 64-bit processor now, so :p It also has 2MB of cache, which is huge. If you like pentium I would go for that because it may not even need to use the RAM in some cases (I don't know anything about pentium/amd memory controls or whatever). Also, there is DDR2, so you should get a new LGA775 mobo with a series-600 processor and DDR2 RAM. I know AMD is supposedly better for gaming or whatever, but I'm used to pentium and know much more about it. Plus, they now have a 64-bit processor and it has 2MB cache. I mean really, what was the point of owning a 64-bit processor like 1-2 years ago? It'll be obvious when 64-bit is really going to come out, so just wait until then (unless you want to upgrade and the best of both companies happen to be 64-bit). I'm building a new comp right now too, happy gaming!

Edit: Oh, lol, I didn't read the whole thread. If this post makes no sense right now just ignore it. Still good info, but it may already have been said or be irrelevant.

will Intel still be going along the Pentium lines? i would have thought they would come up with something completely new, or more different and give them a new name other than pentium.
is this by any chance Intels new dual-core processors?

well the thing is... my copmuter will rock for a while and i will be ble to run almost all games right? :cheers:

E-2k5 said:
well the thing is... my copmuter will rock for a while and i will be ble to run almost all games right? :cheers:
With that rig... you'll be able to play ALL games, at least for a year or two. The most you might have to do is eventually upgrade your RAM to 2GB or something.

Oh, and the Intel 64-bit proc has been out forever... and it's a server-only proc, and not NEARLY as good. It's called the Itanium. You're good with your 3500+.

Muhahahaha said:
Oh, btw, Pentium DOES have a 64-bit processor now, so :p
Yes they do. And I suggest you read this review. FYI 2MB cache isn't exactly a great thing on the P4. Reason being that Prescott actually needs it to catch up in performance considering it's high latency. You should check out those benchmarks though. Missing out. ;)

Also, the Athlon 64 3200+ costs 190$ and the Athlon 64 3800+ costs 420$. Just keep that in mind when viewing the performance numbers and Intel's pricing. That's before you add the expensive DDR2 and board to the cost on Intel's platform. ;)

wowww thanks for the replies guys... now im gonna play all games flawless ...awesome :) . I specially want to play online FPS games like CS: S with 0 lag :LOL:

E-2k5 said:
wowww thanks for the replies guys... now im gonna play all games flawless ...awesome :) . I specially want to play online FPS games like CS: S with 0 lag :LOL:
as long as your ping is good

why would my ping go high with such a rig... for my internet connection u mean?

E-2k5 said:
why would my ping go high with such a rig... for my internet connection u mean?
yes i hope your not on dial-up,your ping will be high if you have a poor connection regardless of your system

600mbps? Mmm it isn't mbps. Probably kbps ;)
If it was 600mbps then you could download a 75MB file in 1 second...
600kbps would me you could download 7.5MB file in 10 seconds.

lol so i guess im wrong it's kbps but for some reason the downloads aren't so fast as expected... :hmph:

E-2k5 said:
lol so i guess im wrong it's kbps but for some reason the downloads aren't so fast as expected... :hmph:
nah you should be fine if you have broadband,i have a 512 connection and have no probs ;)

yeah that's fine.
That's what most people who have DSL in our area are at (higher is available though).

Locally, cable service is to 3mbps.

Since a couple of weeks I have 2 mbps dsl. I can highly recommend it. Insane download speeds, esp. on torrents.

EDIT I forgot to mention that my ping really improved. I'm getting 25-30 on servers where I would usually be on 60 or 70.

yay now i'll be able to play all games flawlessly ^^ instead of having MX 440 and 256 mb ram... ¬¬'

E-2k5 said:
well i don't have the munny to buy PE but i do have to buy the normal X800 XT, which is the same as 6800 ultra (i read most of reviews and the normal X800 XT shows itself as a better card and it also has better FPS)
PS= Why u say athlon is better? is it really? can u guys recommend me the best CPU?

The BEST one? Why, an FX-55 of course!

But that's gonna cost as much as an entry level pc! And that's just the proccy!

Best setup ever?

A64 FX-55
OCZ EL 4800 platinums, two 1GIG sticks
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Dual 6800 Ultras
XP-120

Add a movie house and a power plant and you've got one SWEET ASS RIG!

Get low-latency ram while you're at it. 2-2-2-5, Samsung TCCD stuff, before it runs out.

E-2k5 said:
yay now i'll be able to play all games flawlessly ^^ instead of having MX 440 and 256 mb ram... ¬¬'

Ya I hear ya... I love mine ...it rips through anything out there !

well i'll have to wait cuz i dunno how OC ATI brands, well i dunno how to OC anything... :hmph:

Your sig is too long.

yes it does... well... i guess i'm ready to buy it :D gonna play all games and pwn some newbs like me (think i ain't gonna be with my new computer) and play with 0 lag
Lol always wanted to say that

Back