what's the BEST HL2 mod?

Lou

Reaction score
The last time I asked this question was almost 6 years ago. I got 2 answers: CounterStrike and this other one, I forgot its name, I only remember that it was set in space aboard this huge space ship... Well those were actually HL mods but you get the point...

So I'll ask the question again, what are the best, MUST PLAY, mods for HL2?

Edit: Garry's mod doesn't count

Yup, pretty much. Over a year later and nothing really groundbreaking or totally enjoyable at all, cept Garry. Nuclear Dawn looks pretty promising though.

xombine said:
Yup, pretty much. Over a year later and nothing really groundbreaking or totally enjoyable at all, cept Garry. Nuclear Dawn looks pretty promising though.

From what? The concept art and the 2 screens?

Actually, there is one VERY good mod out called S-Mod. I personally feel that that's the second best mod out there (besides Garry's Mod, of course). It doesn't change that much in the game itself, but adds really cool features, like new guns, a kick attack, and best of all, REAL BULLET-TIME! (Not that host_timescale crap, bullets actually slow down now). So yeah, I'd get that. I don't have the link on me, but just Google SMod.

Garry's Mod is definately the "best" mod out there, but I also have a soft spot for The Hidden...

I really like Dystopia. And it's the second most popular Source mod (behind Garry's mod, which is a must-have also).

SMod is pretty cool, I must say. Dystopia's quite a blast, Mistake of Pythagoras is reeally cool, Minerva: Metastasis is AWESOME (although it's just one chapter of a series), I find HL2: Substance to be a lot of fun, and the FakeFactory Cinematic Mod is sweet for graphics buffs (like me).

There's some other stuff, but I'm lazy.

I'm keeping an eye on Project Hull Breach, Iron Grip, Insurgency, Neotokyo and Birthstar: Frontline. There are a few others but they won't be out until later.

The better looking mods that are likely to be out quite soon (IMO) are [Edit] Neotokyo and Insurgency. And possibly the second episode of MINERVA.

[Edit] Removed Black Mesa because it won't be out for a while.

-Crispy- said:
The better looking mods that are likely to be out quite soon (IMO) are Black Mesa
Are they releasing levels incremently because the last time I saw a date from them they said 2-2.5 years.

Smod and Substance are OK. There's a few good maps out too. Black Mesa (No longer Black Mesa: Source by request from Valve) is my most anticipated.

nutcrackr said:
Are they releasing levels incremently because the last time I saw a date from them they said 2-2.5 years.
Actually, you're right. BM won't be out for some time, sorry for the misinformation. I guess I'm just overexcited about Black Mesa from the screenshots they've released. Incidentally, I wonder if they have considered episodic releases.

Yes we have Crispy, afraid it just wouldn't work for our free modification

This just in: As of March 4th it could be Empires Mod (see news page).

[Edit] Correction: March 4th.

-Crispy- said:
This just in: As of March 3rd it could be Empires Mod (see news page).

Just about to say that myself, that will be the best mod out on the 4th!

I like Minerva because it reminds me a lot of Marathon, one of my favorite games. :)

Back