What's your fav 3d package?

What's your favourite 3d package?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
P

.pix

Just wondering what everybody uses (or wants to use) to do all their 3d work.

xsi. cuz its got the fastest workflow i've worked with

modo is pretty cool too if u like subds

xsi does look purdy as you say, and it may have a fast workflow, but for me it just seams to strange. for me 3ds was just so easy to pick up. for xsi, i found it completely different in terms of workflow and hotkeys compared to the other software i've grown up with.
XSI is super powerful tho, i must say so indeed.

GO 3DS! =)

It's hard to say because I have only used 3dsmax as an amateur and Now I use Maya proffesionally (at work and home) I preffer maya, but I know all the other packages are powerful in their own ways. But if I have to pick right now, MAYA because I know it better of course...

XSI for sure =).

More powerful and straightforward than max and less spread out than maya.

desty

Gah!

Ignore my vote under GMax. Somehow Mozillia thinks that me clicking 3DS Max means I like G-Max o_O

3ds max or maya, i think I lean a little bit more to 3ds but maya is pretty noob friendly IMO.

I use 3dsmax as my base program,
but alas my heart will always belong to milkshape, because it's free and it's damn good for free :D

Hope it never dies out!

Milkshape isn't free as far as I know, wings3d is free.

Grey Fox said:
Milkshape isn't free as far as I know, wings3d is free.

WHAT?!? since when?!?......

Stone Feels Sick :eek:

milkshape has never been free i think, its like $20 or so registration, i'd say its worth it, thats where i got started

I started out with GMax and then moved to 3dsmax. They're pretty much identical so it was easy to pick-up.

I've tried others like Maya, Milkshape and XSI. But found them harder to use, especially to navigate the view points.

Sanada said:
I started out with GMax and then moved to 3dsmax. They're pretty much identical so it was easy to pick-up.

I've tried others like Maya, Milkshape and XSI. But found them harder to use, especially to navigate the view points.

You found the mayaviewports hard to navigate?
ALT+ LMB: tumble
ALT+ MMB: track
ALT+RMB (ALT+ LMB+MMB): dolly

Maya is by far the easiest for noobies, but blender has on it's site very good tutorials and they are all arrenged from novice to pro, so it's pretty easy to pick up.

Grey Fox said:
Maya is by far the easiest for noobies, but blender has on it's site very good tutorials and they are all arrenged from novice to pro, so it's pretty easy to pick up.

hehe. Maya and Max are noobfriendly and two of the most powerful packages out there at the same time. When you come to advanced rigging, maya isn't that friendly anymore...

Well In max for me the only easy thing is creating soemthing, I mean just dragging with your mouse, exactly what i expected, I don't understand why other programs don't use it, and with maya, well everything is easly seen in the menu, and it has maya mentor, a really kick ass program that all programs should have, unfortunatly it doesn't work on my monitor cause it won't go above a res of 1024x768, hey but milkidamus if you know a similar program like maya mentor for the other packages or for maya that works in my res could you link me please, oh and I don't understand why people make video tutorials, cause doing it the mentor way is so much easier to learn trough and the fiels are way smaller than an AVI.

GreyFox:milkidamus? wtf... I haven't tried Maya Mentor, just looked at it and it looks great if you're learning maya. It can't get any better imo. This is also why people do make AVI's because of the steep learningcure. When you get to see the whole operation you don't have to read between the lines.
I don't know about the resolution issue. I use 1600x1200, but I don't see the problem in rezising the interface when learning. You can also press ctrl + spacebar to go to "expert mode". You'll still have all the menus easily accessible via the hotbox (hold space) But let's not turn this thread into something else ;)

I use 3D Studio Max 5 (and that is getting outdated)
lol

I vote max cous its the program ive used since I started modeling.
Ive tried maya and got a little confused but it seems like a great tool. Im just very used to max and work better with it (because im used to it) id probably like any 3d application once I got used to them.

Milkidamu my monitor won't go to a res above 1024x768 and maya mentor does not work with that res, I need a higher res unfortunatly, but flams is XSi going to make something like maya mentor.

Grey Fox said:
Milkidamu my monitor won't go to a res above 1024x768 and maya mentor does not work with that res, I need a higher res unfortunatly, but flams is XSi going to make something like maya mentor.

Ah ok. I misunderstood. That sounds a bit funny though....

other - modo in conjunction with zbrush... but i use 3ds max currently :(

i heard somewhere that the modellers at Valve used XSI (duh) but also used 3dsmax 2.5, 3, and maya

they didnt use maya (least i havent heard) in any of their games. They used max 3 for hl1 and xsi for hl2.

Back