When do you expect VALVe to break their ridiulously long silence on Episode Three?

I remember when people were predicting that ep3 would ship in a box with l4d. Now we're getting l4d2 before ep3. I hope we get a suprise release date once l4d2 is out the door but it's not likely. I hope I can avoid spoilers better than I did for ep2.

Maybe we will get Portal 2 with EP3? Keep the faith!

I don't really want anything to be spoiled either. It's better when everything's a surprise. When ep 3 comes out maybe they will make a release with all the episodes together.

If EP3 comes out in 2011 or after, it would have around 7 or more years since HL2 originally came out.
Goddamn that's sobering. Realizing that the gap of major releases (that's not entirely fair; they put out a few engine updates) is reaching HL1->HL2 proportions.

I played HL games since around 2001 when I got my first gamer pc. Then some years later came HL2...my pc was outdated so i got an update on quite a few components just to play HL2 (and Doom 3, but Doom 3 really sucked). About 4-5 months ago I got the Orange Box since Iwanted to try Portal (loved it) and get to play the two episodes...I also tought that ep3 was about to come out...oh well...we all know where that went...I started coming HL2.net just to try getting some news about it. I still come here and read news, check forums (first time I'm posting), but quite frankly I stopped hoping for news. I started to just forget about it, I couldn't care less about L4D 1 or 2 or whatever they are, so I guess I'll just have to be surprised when it finnally gets out. At least Max Payne 3 should come out soon (early 2010 it seems now).

I played HL games since around 2001 when I got my first gamer pc. Then some years later came HL2...my pc was outdated so i got an update on quite a few components just to play HL2 (and Doom 3, but Doom 3 really sucked). About 4-5 months ago I got the Orange Box since Iwanted to try Portal (loved it) and get to play the two episodes...I also tought that ep3 was about to come out...oh well...we all know where that went...I started coming HL2.net just to try getting some news about it. I still come here and read news, check forums (first time I'm posting), but quite frankly I stopped hoping for news. I started to just forget about it, I couldn't care less about L4D 1 or 2 or whatever they are, so I guess I'll just have to be surprised when it finnally gets out. At least Max Payne 3 should come out soon (early 2010 it seems now).
Well welcome, "lurker," just the same :) You know, Left 4 Dead is actually fun if you're looking for something new to try.

A Portal 2 / Episode 3 bundle would be awesome, just saying, Valve.

Well welcome, "lurker," just the same :) You know, Left 4 Dead is actually fun if you're looking for something new to try.

A Portal 2 / Episode 3 bundle would be awesome, just saying, Valve.

I really believe L4D2 could be fun, but HL games make me buy PC's just to play them. I think it can almost be compared to Final Fantasy games being responsible for Playstation sales (not the same scale, of corse).

By the way, don't forget to vote for Gordon!!

http://www.gamespot.com/greatest-video-game-hero/standings/index.html

There'll be news after L4D2 ships and the furor over that dies down a bit.

I want Episode 3 :(

This got to be the game that I've waited the longest for. Luckily there's other games that I'm also hyped for (such as Dragon Age which I've preordered), to help fill the void, but this is the game that I want the most.

I'm a bit dissatisfied with their original idea about episodes. (I know they regret it, but still)

I sure hope Episode 3 is a full game, that can compare to the length of Half-life 2. The time they've taken warrants no less. It can't have been used just for making technology, although I'm sure they got a new feature or two for the Source engine.

The worst that can happen, is that I loose my interrest. But that's going to take a lot. I'm quite a fan of this series; more so than any other game series. (Next in line is Biowares games)

I wouldn't be surprised to see something, anything, about it on November 16th, but I ain't getting my hopes up really.

If EP3 comes out in 2011 or after, it would have around 7 or more years since HL2 originally came out.

Wow.

You gotta wonder, is guys like Lombardi telling the truth that Half-Life 2: Episode Three is in the works with L4D-2 right around the corner? I think they postponed the development for HL2: Ep3 until L4D2 is finished, because for some reason... L4D franchise is more popular than the Half-Life franchise - I guess because of casual console gamers.

What if Valve realized they were in over their head with Episode 3, like if they realized they couldn't finish the story arc in a single episode. Maybe EP3 will just end up being like 15 hours long :D

What if Valve realized they were in over their head with Episode 3, like if they realized they couldn't finish the story arc in a single episode. Maybe EP3 will just end up being like 15 hours long :D
That's already a pretty popular theory, though if they still wanted to cling to the episodic format (doubtful from what has been said), there's nothing stopping them making an Episode Four.

Wow.

You gotta wonder, is guys like Lombardi telling the truth that Half-Life 2: Episode Three is in the works with L4D-2 right around the corner? I think they postponed the development for HL2: Ep3 until L4D2 is finished, because for some reason... L4D franchise is more popular than the Half-Life franchise - I guess because of casual console gamers.

Sure, it's not like they've worked on multiple games at once before.

Except y'know while developing DOD:S/HL2/CS:S or Ep2/TF2/Portal.

It's a popular idea among mouth-breathers though.

7 year old engine?
Fail? Are they considering a real update to the engine. Or are they going to fool us with more gravity gun puzzles...

Sure, it's not like they've worked on multiple games at once before.

Except y'know while developing DOD:S/HL2/CS:S or Ep2/TF2/Portal.

It's a popular idea among mouth-breathers though.

Hence why they are releasing info with all of those games, none for HL2: Episode 3.

Yeah i can't wait for EP3, its been a long time, surely announced at E3, but it should avoid end of 2010 release....we all know the big one is coming out that time....Halo Reach. But if they are working on it secretly, that means they had alot of development time, it make a brand new engine, that will be spectacular, and even longer single player. It should be real journey.

7 year old engine?
Fail? Are they considering a real update to the engine. Or are they going to fool us with more gravity gun puzzles...

yeah the engine is abit dated now, a new engine must be implemented.

yeah the engine is abit dated now, a new engine must be implemented.

Seeing all the amazing things that Source is able to do in L4D2, I think it still rocks. Valve periodically updates it, so it's not really the same engine from 7 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something, anything, about it on November 16th, but I ain't getting my hopes up really.

Do you think Valve will go along with the Viral bandwagon? Perhaps releasing newspaper clippings and Hi Res pictures of its manifest, schematics, etc detailing the Borealis' disappearence and a few short video recordings detailing key moments of the borealis' earlier voyages, which may hold keys to its disappearence.

Nothing that directly affects the gameplay or story of Ep3, but it just keeps us amused for a short time and keeps us thinking about where the story could take us.

On a side note, I noticed trees sway in the wind now in L4D2. Would be interested to see if they respond to downdraft from the Gunship/Dropship engines in Ep3

Everyone seems quite excited with L4D2...maybe if it's successful enough they will postpone Ep3 and get cracking right away making a L4D3...wich I coudn't care less about and wouldn't be remotely surprised if they did...it seems they managed to release 2 of them already instead of giving any kind of news on Ep3 so...

To be honest, after playing the demo, I couldn't care less about L4D2. Its not because I want Ep3 more, its just I want Horror not a shooting gallery.

I'm hoping assasins are reintroduced and can leap tall ledges to keep me on my feet.

Do you think Valve will go along with the Viral bandwagon? Perhaps releasing newspaper clippings and Hi Res pictures of its manifest, schematics, etc detailing the Borealis' disappearence and a few short video recordings detailing key moments of the borealis' earlier voyages, which may hold keys to its disappearence.

Nothing that directly affects the gameplay or story of Ep3, but it just keeps us amused for a short time and keeps us thinking about where the story could take us.

That is how I would expect them to do it yeah, I would prefer a proper announcement though =/

Wasnt there supposed to be news about it this past weekend?.... instead just more L4D2 stuff

I remember someone here saying that valve might release information on HL's birthday which they said was nov. 10.....its actually the 19 which is a couple days after Left4Dead 2 comes out so maybe. Personally, I think Valve might release something around Christmas time.

Even if they release a trailer during E3 2010 it’s unlikely the game itself will be released the same year. Since it has been awhile since a HL game was released they need to spend a lot of time advertising AFTER the initial release of the trailer. Plus valve has known to delay releases last minute and episode 3 is shaping up to be a major project for them. All in all, I doubt they will release ep. 3 during early 2011 so I think mid to late 2011 might be a safe bet knowing valve.

I remember reading some article where VALVe stated something regarding the fact that they wanted to make Ep3 a game with a length comparable to the original HL2...so if that's true either they got busy some time ago or we're in for a looooong wait.

It's pretty obvious that Valve have been working on Ep3 for quite a while already. Do you really think it took their entire team to make a few new maps and hats for TF2 or creating L4D2?
The media blackout on Ep3 is just to give L4D2 the spotlight, maximising sales. We'll hear some Ep3 stuff by New Years imo, and I'd be surprised if the game wasn't released next year.

Sort of - the only real evidence we have for that is that the throwing-back-the-helicopter-mines gameplay mechanic (something seen as early as GDC 2006 if I remember correctly) was designed for a part of Episode 3 but worked so well it was implemented into Episode 2. So yes, work on Episode 3 technically commenced well over 3 years ago.

UM BUT, DEW ITS LYK RITE THER.

caps

It seems legit to me...
ITT: everyone on Twitter is who they say they are, and people who tell you to check links in posts, forget to check links in posts.

Idiots.

I can't believe anyone would take that Twitter account seriously.
OBVIOUSLY REAL GABE IRL said:
I totally just hot boxed a conference room with a ginormous fart, don't tell the guys using it in 30 minutes, I want the element of surprise

The guy's been pretty dedicated though ... posting since April.

Back