When doug refers to holiday season, does he mean christmas or thanksgiving?

bate18

Reaction score
When he talks about the release date being the holiday season, is that Christmas or Thanksgiving? i would assume Christmas because of more potential sales, but i may be wrong.

Holiday season can also mean January....

No one seems to get that..........................

I believe he means Thanksgiving, aka: November, because the current rumors flying around are that they'll be releasing the game on the same date as the 5 year anniversery of Half-Life 1's release.

i dont like kippers. nasty fish they are. :D

Originally posted by DaveKap
I believe he means Thanksgiving, aka: November, because the current rumors flying around are that they'll be releasing the game on the same date as the 5 year anniversery of Half-Life 1's release.

i thought the 5 year anniversery was in september

Most people don't start Xmas shopping until about six weeks beforehand. Xmas is late December, so six weeks before that is mid-november. I think November is also the month where thankgiving occurs, so that's the general time period (if they released it really close to Xmas, that would be a bad idea, because people would not have time to buy it, it would sell out too fast, etc. Holiday products generally come out in mid November).

holiday, hope its christmas, since im getting my dvd recorder/player (sorry for hoping against all of you, but i dont wanna have to swap 4/5 cd's during instalation...or do i?)

Holiday 2003 means the month of november or december of 2003. Just like happy holidays.

Just an off topic question to all you americans out there. what exactly is thanksgiving all about?

Originally posted by PainLord
Just an off topic question to all you americans out there. what exactly is thanksgiving all about?
eating turkey with the family i think, but im portuguese

Thanksgiving is about college kids getting two days off to go home and eat REAL FOOD.

Originally posted by Silent Zero
it means.... Yom Kippur!!!! thats oct 6th!!!!!

i wish! ocober the 6th! that be gr8...don't count on it though

If he meant a thanksgiving release then it would be amazing if he also meant the Canadian Thanksgiving. October 13. :p

There is a delay forum for this. And I think 'holidays' is just a random date Doug said.

Well you have seen answers stating "Holiday season" not just holiday season. Bit odd that he would quote it.

Wishful thinking. I don't know how many people would know that Canada even had a Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving in elementary school: We give thanks to the Native Americans who showed the pilgrims how to grow corn and cook Turkey!

Thanksgiving in high school: Spend time with the parents and eat lots of food.

Thanksgiving in college: If you're homesick, go home and eat delicious food with your family. If you hate your home, you try to stay at college over vacation.

Thanksgiving post-college: Family reunion where you all try you best not to rip eachothers' throats off.

Thanksgiving when you have a family: Freak out when anyone criticizes your cooking. Or if you aren't the cook, freak out when anyone criticizes your spouse's cooking.

Originally posted by DaveKap
Thanksgiving in elementary school: We give thanks to the Native Americans who showed the pilgrims how to grow corn and cook Turkey!

Thanksgiving in high school: Spend time with the parents and eat lots of food.

Thanksgiving in college: If you're homesick, go home and eat delicious food with your family. If you hate your home, you try to stay at college over vacation.

Thanksgiving post-college: Family reunion where you all try you best not to rip eachothers' throats off.

Thanksgiving when you have a family: Freak out when anyone criticizes your cooking. Or if you aren't the cook, freak out when anyone criticizes your spouse's cooking.
Thats the best Thanksgiving description I have ever read.

Thank you! :) And I have yet to reach the last two steps too!

first of all, thanksgiving is a mostly made up holiday, essentially everytone is celebrating thanks for a plentiful harvest, and apparently it dates back to pilgrim times... now, of course, it's just an excuse for a good family meal...nothing wrong with that.

Here is the interesting part about the "holiday release".

here in extremely commercial america, the friday after thanksgiving (which falls on a thursday every year...the fourth thursday of november) is known as "black friday" and it is the single biggest shopping day of the year in the US. It's a day that almost everyone (except shopkeepers) have off, and so a large percentage of americans go Christmas shopping. This is aided by the fact that nearly every store has bargains that are only valid on black friday.

I'm guessing that a release on or around then (nov 28th) is a safe bet, if Vivendi does inted to get that big holdiay rush.

EDIT: Disregard my explanation of thanksgiving...the other description is much better :)

They pushed it back to 2004 so they can get game of the year and doom 3 cant :p

November 18th. That's when the game comes out.

Originally posted by Owskie
september 30th duh
why do you keep saying september 30th?? just forget that, and if HL2 really comes out 30th this month i will lick a bit of floor

Originally posted by Tarkus
why do you keep saying september 30th?? just forget that, and if HL2 really comes out 30th this month i will lick a bit of floor

ill hold you to that!

They say Holiday season to cover their ass. This way they now have from Nov-Jan to release the game.

Originally posted by Amsterdam
They say Holiday season to cover their ass. This way they now have from Nov-Jan to release the game.
they have till 30th or i get pissed

Originally posted by Spiffae
first of all, thanksgiving is a mostly made up holiday, essentially everytone is celebrating thanks for a plentiful harvest, and apparently it dates back to pilgrim times... now, of course, it's just an excuse for a good family meal...nothing wrong with that.

Here is the interesting part about the "holiday release".

here in extremely commercial america, the friday after thanksgiving (which falls on a thursday every year...the fourth thursday of november) is known as "black friday" and it is the single biggest shopping day of the year in the US. It's a day that almost everyone (except shopkeepers) have off, and so a large percentage of americans go Christmas shopping. This is aided by the fact that nearly every store has bargains that are only valid on black friday.

I'm guessing that a release on or around then (nov 28th) is a safe bet, if Vivendi does inted to get that big holdiay rush.

EDIT: Disregard my explanation of thanksgiving...the other description is much better :)

Your absolutely right. I used to work in marketing (not retail, but still)..."holiday" in a marketing sense refers to the period between Nov 1st, and January 1st and "Black Tuesday" is pretty much THE gauge of how products wil perform sales wise. (Kinda like benchmarking for retail marketing)

They would be stupid not to make black Friday, and even though, I was dissapointed HL2 was delayed, I always thought a mid november release would be more lucrative for them.

As for Thanksgiving, it isnt "made up", Its more or less a celebration of prosperity. Harvest is a time of celebration for many cultures and considering a great deal of Americas prosperity comes from Agriculture, it makes sense that we would celebrate that, even today.

But everything these days in America has been reduced to another reason to "party" (IE buy lots of shit and consume it)

Originally posted by d8cam
Holiday season can also mean January....

No one seems to get that..........................

Holiday season = Holiday shopping season

Starts at Thanksgiving (or some earlier time in November), ends on New Year's.

I hope me means The Jolly holiday of October 1st... you know... OHH PLEASE LET HL2 BE RELEASED day.

As i said.... Yom Kippur Oct 6 :D

and stickfigs... thank you for not imploding :p

Back