When doug refers to holiday season, does he mean christmas or thanksgiving?

Originally posted by Silent Zero
As i said.... Yom Kippur Oct 6 :D

and stickfigs... thank you for not imploding :p

No Problem!

*(insert prefix here)plodes*

Half-Life 1 went gold the 10th november and were availble a couple of days after. People siad it was in stores 3-5 days after. So the current 14th november date that had circulated seems possible.

Hows bout Oct 13th , Columbus Day, lots of kids get off from school that day. And kids buy games. And its only 2 weeks delay, wich is prob enough time to add the languages, stress test steam, fix bugs, etc.

Oct 31st, Halloween, screw candy and costumes, buy HL2

Then theres Nov 19th, the 5 yr anniversary of Half-Life. That is of course a very very strong date for it to come out.

THen Black Friday , Nov 28

And if its not out by then........I...just...dont know......

Originally posted by Plopfish
Hows bout Oct 13th , Columbus Day, lots of kids get off from school that day. And kids buy games. And its only 2 weeks delay, wich is prob enough time to add the languages, stress test steam, fix bugs, etc.

Oct 31st, Halloween, screw candy and costumes, buy HL2

Then theres Nov 19th, the 5 yr anniversary of Half-Life. That is of course a very very strong date for it to come out.

THen Black Friday , Nov 28

And if its not out by then........I...just...dont know......

Oct 13th would be nice, but that's serious wishful thinking. That's not remotely considered "the holidays". Also I don't think that's enough time to add the languages, fix bugs, and test steam as you said.

November 19th is the most logical date at this point.

Thanksgiving, is that why lots of americans are tubby?

Originally posted by mutt
Thanksgiving, is that why lots of americans are tubby?

No, that's because of Mcdonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I think "holiday season" is defined by Thanksgiving to New Years.

But as many have said, the biggest shopping day of the year in the US is statistically the day after Thanksgiving.

It would make sense for the release to be that week.

ppl go to Mcdonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken on thanksgiving?

Originally posted by mutt
ppl go to Mcdonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken on thanksgiving?

no!

someone said to americans get fat because of thanks giving.

the other said

"no they get fat because Mcdonnalds and KFC

I bet they release it before the day after Thanksgiving since that is a big shopping day for Christmas. I'm sure they would have it ready to go in time for the christmas shopping season. Maybe even sometime in November. I would doubt it would be after Christmas even if that is within teh "Holiday release" definition.

i think it will be released 1-2 weeks prior to thanksgiving, around the 15-19th. maybe even nov 12...but i would almost assure you it will not be in october. as for owskie, listen dude, it snot comming out next week :(

Guys,

"COMING SOON TO A SHOP NEAR YOU HAL-LIFE2"

When doug refers to holiday season, does he mean christmas or thanksgiving?
Well, when he said, "The game is on track for a September 30 release" he really meant "The game is not on track for a September 30." So, really, your guess is as good as mine what he really means when he says "holiday season".

everyone forgets

i dont think ive read anyone mention (although i could be wrong) that New Years is considered part of the "holiday season" as well...dont forget that, this could very well end up releasing in 2004, and they wouldnt have necessarily lied either.

they said they were trying to get it out before chirstmas, so stop this whole new new years is still holiday season shit, cause NOBODY in their right ****ing mind would release the biggest game inyears a few days after x mas

I'd say the Holiday season is anytime before Christmas. Releasing a game after Christmas isn't really a great idea in the marketing world.

i want them to release hl2 on the anniv. of hl1..

i remeber reading an interview... where gabe or someone from valve qa questioned about how the anniv. is coming up.. and if it was delayed how that date would be awesome.. and gabe or whoever said.. funny how some things work out :)...

this was from a long time ago

edit: doesn't this also make sense??

cuase if you shoot for a date.. say something is due friday... and if you work on it to get it done on friday... you will end up turning it in on teh folowign sunday.. cuase you won't finish it on time..

but say its due on friday.. but you make a goal and tell everyone its due on wednesday... and you work on it to finish it on wednesday.. you probably won't finish it for wednesday, but you will have it for friday ... so its on time??

anyone get my drift?

The anniversary of the release of the first game would put Half-Life 2's release smack dab in the middle of the lucrative "holiday season" so it is possible.

Originally posted by Quotidian---

anyone get my drift?

That made sense to me, in a wierd sort of way.

Mid-November would be nice. ANYTHING is better than waiting til Chritsmas!

If they only 'realised' they wouldn't hit the Sept 30th release date a week before it was due out..surely the delay can't be 'that' long? I mean... Come on. I personally really hope that it is released October, and that way i wouldn't have to open a whole can of whoop-ass on Valve.
I think 'something' on Sept 30th would tide me over for a short while too, that or Morphine.

They're realising the benchmark techdemo i think

Yes, maybe the benchmark. The 3 vids? Some info on multiplay? SDK? Many possiblities. Demo--unlikely. I'm going to put my money on November: not being on store shelves the day after Thanksgiving will be a real loss.

Mid-November's about the forgiveness break even point, meaning I'd be willing to forget the whole fiaso if I had it on my HD by then. Every week beyond that will make the shame of it linger that much more the next time valve makes any promise.

*ahem* [last time] Fer God's sakes! One measly hint of the mere possiblility earlier this month would have made it entirely understandable!

OK, OK

Probubly going to be released in mid-late Novemeber so the money grubbing suits can get their quota's met. I HATE corporate BS TBH. :(

[EDIT] If it came out in October then it would be a pleasent surprise. But it's not going to happen unless it is a small optimisation delay.

The game wont come out before any amout of amazing publicity.
So when the adverts start flying we will know its close.
Vivendi arent idiots they know waht they have in their hands.

Back