When it goes gold. Will it become available on steam?

Ages120

Reaction score
Just wondering. Also why do people that haven't pre ordered get to pre load. Are you trying to test how much bandwidth you can waste, or are you trying to set a record for the only game company to upload most of a game for people to warez? I bet a good 5%-10% ,if your lucky, that pre-loaded without pre ordering will pull out a credit card when the time comes.

I think it'll be available on steam from the moment it's available in stores

Ages120 said:
Just wondering. Also why do people that haven't pre ordered get to pre load. Are you trying to test how much bandwidth you can waste, or are you trying to set a record for the only game company to upload most of a game for people to warez? I bet a good 5%-10% ,if your lucky, that pre-loaded without pre ordering will pull out a credit card when the time comes.

Sure and a couple of weeks after he will go complaining on the forums why he is not able to logon.

Then Taylor Sherman will show him he used fake creditcards for his purchase, and we won't ever hear from him again.

I have to admit, i'm going to get it on steam with my ATi voucher, then buy it from shops, I have a thing about boxes. :naughty:

Ages120 said:

Why download it you say?

Well if you download it NOW when you get back from the shop on release day you won't have to sit there for 40 minutes installing 6 gigs worth of game off of cd's. You'll only have to enter your cd code.

Do you guys think Valve is obligated to wait until the game is available in stores before releasing the game on steam? From what I've read, Valve will be making 2.5x as much selling hl2 on steam as opposed to retail. Selling it on steam before it goes retail will make Valve shitloads more money. But then again, I wouldn't be suprised if Vivendi made them sign a contract saying they will wait until the game is available in stores before they let people who've downloaded off steam play it.

I wonder if they only get royalties off of vivendi sales and 100% off of steam sales???

Ages120 said:
I wonder if they only get royalties off of vivendi sales and 100% off of steam sales???

Vivendi probably pays for all the band width usage and so take a percentage.

Ages120 said:

No, u dont get it from steam when it goes gold

Automatic Kafka said:
Nope - Vivendi have nothing to do with Steam. They don't get anything from it but lost sales.

Do you guys think Valve is obligated to wait until the game is available in stores before releasing the game on steam
Yes, they are contractually obliged to.

Automatic Kafka said:
I'm not sure about that. We would see a Vivendi logo somewhere if they did.

Varsity said:
Nope - Vivendi have nothing to do with Steam. They don't get anything from it but lost sales.
As far as I am aware, no one from Valve or VU has said this. Only thing we know for sure is that Gabe said they get 2.5x the money from the Steam sales.

If, out of the $45 sale price, we assume Valve get $10 per copy (it's about right, stores put rouhgly 20-30% markup on eletronic goods like this, then the publisher gets a cut etc - music artists usually get $5 per album, if that) then using Gabe's figures they'd get $25 from a steam sale, then there's still at least $15 left over that is going somewhere - most likely to vivendi.

Automatic Kafka said:
Why download it you say?

Well if you download it NOW when you get back from the shop on release day you won't have to sit there for 40 minutes installing 6 gigs worth of game off of cd's. You'll only have to enter your cd code.

:LOL: no way will it take 40 minutes to install :p 10-15 mins max

Why would Vivendi have anything to do with Steam? The whole point behind Steam is to cut out the publisher etc.

IIRC Steam bandwidth is provided by Valve and limelight networks.

Atari said:
Why would Vivendi have anything to do with Steam? The whole point behind Steam is to cut out the publisher etc.

IIRC Steam bandwidth is provided by Valve and limelight networks.

Yeah but Vivendi owns the name.

This is really funny.

You can wait a whole year (or maybe more) for the game to be finished but you cannot wait 30 minutes for installation.

:dozey:

lol yeah. I wouldn't mind if it took an hour to install. At least I'd have the actual game.

zamolx32 said:
This is really funny.

You can wait a whole year (or maybe more) for the game to be finished but you cannot wait 30 minutes for installation.

:dozey:

Why wait when you don't need to?

Also SOME of use have been waiting 5 years thanks.

Lanthanide said:
As far as I am aware, no one from Valve or VU has said this. Only thing we know for sure is that Gabe said they get 2.5x the money from the Steam sales.
All the money gained from Steam sales goes to Valve, confirmed. Probably somewhere in the info from Valve thread. :) Valve's contract only applies to physical copies on shelves.

I think it should come out on Steam. Especially since Valve can examine the data from the amount of people that preloaded. Ever since I've had Steam, I have never had that error sayin the server is waaayyyy to busy to try again later...so A LOT of people had to have preloaded. It'd be smart marketing to jus be like....FU VU and sell it on Steam.

Gaheris said:
lol yeah. I wouldn't mind if it took an hour to install. At least I'd have the actual game.

I will have the actual game through steam...I do not care if I don't get a box...

I'll get a box after I get it through Steam cause I'm impatient and I don't wanna waste time downloadin it again if I reformat or w/e, which I do a lot. I need a desktop...laptop is good, but I wish I could upgrade video card from Radeon IGP 345M to like...9800 pro or better. But Sony Support says "No way Jose"

do you guys no if you have to be a subscriber of steam to purchase HL2. i would really like to no

I don't get this subscriber to Steam. I have the whole deal from that HL pack, to Condition Zero, and I've never had to pay a monthly thing...is this only for new users?

There is no compulsory monthly subscription charge for Steam or Half-Life 2.

I don't know when Valve intend to introduce this scheme, but the subscription gives you all available Steam games, as long as you pay monthly. When new games get introdcued to Steam, you will get these as well.

actually my girlfriend used to work at media play. she got the employee discount at any media play and best buy, which was the actually price that the store pays from the manufacturer. for things like car sterio this was something like a 40% discount, but suprisingly for games this was only like 10-15%. This would mean that a 50 dollar game at a store was bought from the manufacturer for $44 or $43 dollars. and who knows how much of a percentage valve gets. do they get more than normal because they actually funded this game completely inhouse? maybe. what if they get $20 from each game sold. then the 2.5 x received off of steam comes to 50, which sounds about right if vivendi gets nothing of the steam sales.

Mutley said:
I have to admit, i'm going to get it on steam with my ATi voucher, then buy it from shops, I have a thing about boxes. :naughty:

I have a thing about boxes too. :)

Back