When will it have to go gold to make the nov date?

There's no set time from going Gold to shipping. It could take 3 days it could take 3 months.

You'd think they would be able to duplicate the gold disk(s) really fast with today's manufacturing equpiment. I work with automated mfg equipment and the technology grows as fast as anything else. My guess is 2 weeks. How long did it take for Doom 3?

Halo 2 went gold today, and it is slated for a Nov.9th release, that's over 4 weeks

BrenTon said:
Halo 2 went gold today, and it is slated for a Nov.9th release, that's over 4 weeks

Yeah but think about all the copies they're going to have to make plus all the special stuff, like the collectors edition and such. HL2 could take that long or not. They might have already produced the packaging but are just waiting for the discs. Not only that but most people are probably going to buy it over Steam anyways, so they might not have to produce as many copies.

I think about 2 weeks is usually standard... lots of variation recently, though. :rolling:

umm, maybe their adding the HL2 multiplayer core component before they go gold :D... (I wish,)

(seriously I do)

^^^That would be nice but I doubt it. We don't need any more delays. :LOL:

satch919 said:
Yeah but think about all the copies they're going to have to make plus all the special stuff, like the collectors edition and such. HL2 could take that long or not. They might have already produced the packaging but are just waiting for the discs. Not only that but most people are probably going to buy it over Steam anyways, so they might not have to produce as many copies.

Yes but Halo 2 isn't making a worldwide release like Half Life 2 is, First US, Then Europe, I don't know about anywhere else though.
Oh and Doom 3 Took 3 weeks from Gold to The Aug 3rd release date. :frog:

BrenTon said:
Yes but Halo 2 isn't making a worldwide release like Half Life 2 is, First US, Then Europe, I don't know about anywhere else though.
Oh and Doom 3 Took 3 weeks from Gold to The Aug 3rd release date. :frog:

True but Halo 2 is going to be a huge release. Maybe bigger than Half Life 2. But like I said, they are going to have to produce a lot of copies of Halo 2.

Imagine how many people have already preordered HL2 over Steam. Maybe the demand for physical copies of the game have fallen dramatically. Therefore, there will be a smaller number of copies to be produced thus a quicker release. :bounce:

Ady said:
you need at least two weeks between gold and release imo.

i agree 2-3 weeks since this game is going to be on sale worldwide so a lot of burning needs to be done, not to mention the T-shirts for all the collectors editions

I really don't think Half Life 2 will be released in November. Halo 2 is all hyped up and a lot of people will be too busy playing that game to care about another game.

I would be extremely excited though if we could get both games before christmas. That would be fantastic.

;( I was still holding out some hope that it would have a late October release. :angry:

mortey said:
I really don't think Half Life 2 will be released in November. Halo 2 is all hyped up and a lot of people will be too busy playing that game to care about another game.QUOTE]

And i know just as many peopple who will play HL2 instead of H2 (if it coems out at same time). :p

I think it will definatly go gold this month, release next month.

Actually I'm pretty sure that Halo 2 is making a worldwide release. I guess that depends on your definition of worldwide, i.e. Halo is releasing in 27 countries and 4 continents all within two or three days of each other. That's fairly world wide. I'm not sure about HL2 or what countries they plan to release to.

If we are going by the 2 week thing, then they have to go gold sometime next week or the week after but they won't the game will come out in December. :borg:

I love how everyone knows exactly how long its going to go from gold to ship, and how everyone understands marketing so well that they know vug wont release the game at the same time as halo 2.

On my next resume I'm just going to write "I post on internet forums", that way they will know I'm qualified to do anything!

Didn't HL sell a whole lot more than Halo?

you're all too optimistic... it won't be anytime soon i guarantee. it might even be next year.

That wouldn't be sarcasm, would it Homer?

But seriously, it would be a big mistake to release this close to Halo 2. Their sales are going to suffer BIG TIME. I hate to say it, but December would be a lot better for them. I want this game asap too, but I'd also like to see a Half-Life 3.

spitcodfry said:
That wouldn't be sarcasm, would it Homer?

But seriously, it would be a big mistake to release this close to Halo 2. Their sales are going to suffer BIG TIME. I hate to say it, but December would be a lot better for them. I want this game asap too, but I'd also like to see a Half-Life 3.

will their sales really suffer even though both games are for different platforms?

God, i dun know how anyone can play an FPS properly on a console... :p

Dr. A said:
God, i dun know how anyone can play an FPS properly on a console... :p
well they do dumbass, and Galo has proved it, so stop using that overly said line and get some new material.

Yes the sales would definitely suffer. Being an avid Xbox gamer I'd take Halo 2 over HL2 any day of the week. It's a cheaper alternative to HL2 in every way, both in product price and the price of upgrading computers which the majority of the population will have to do to get the fluidity that Halo 2 offers to console gamers. When I say most people I mean mainstream gamers not hardcore gamers like us folk.

Think this, every day that passes and no gold announcment the harder it will be to hold a november release, because i really doubt they will make it in time to copy all discs to ship worldwide.

The Silhouette said:
well they do dumbass, and Galo has proved it, so stop using that overly said line and get some new material.

;(

woah! touchy, touchy... i would like to point out that i used a smiley with my message. I've seen the Halo2 MP footage b4, u know ;)

take it easy, bro - i dun diss consoles. Theyr'e cool too.

erm..At the risk of additional flaming, who or what is Galo? *cringe*

Monro I think you are just hoping you don't have to buy all of us copies of HL2 if it ships next year!

groovy said:
you're all too optimistic... it won't be anytime soon i guarantee. it might even be next year.

What do you guarantee against it? Anyhoo, it depends how you define "anytime soon". It will be released before the end of the year. They are not going to have reviews coming out at the beginning of October then release the game in January, nevermind have a large chunk of the game sitting on harddrives around the world for over 4 months. Another consideration is that the chances of a leak increase with every passing day. The game is done in all but name, and it only takes one person......

The obvious choice seems to be mid-late November which is still farther away than most people reckoned at the start of August when there were the first mootings of the RC going to Vivendi.

To answer the initial question:- The most likely scenario is 3-4 weeks from gold. Of course this could be faster if Vivendi required it.

Back