Where are all the custom player models?

lord dubu

Reaction score
Now I realize that HL2 has only been out for a month... but honestly I thought I'd have seen one or two custom player models on the DM server by now...

Any of you working on custom PMs? Ante up! Let's see some WIPs! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

(gonna make this Go-go Yubari charicature into a model)

gogo_pencil.jpg

gogo_concept_quarter.jpg

gogo_concept_full.jpg

nice concepts, are they original Kill Bill sketches, or done yeself?

Would love to see that sadisitic little school girl running around, and would be a pleasure to throw a crate at well made custom model....

But nay, i have seen no custom models yet either...

My concepts.

I'm concepting my first "room" for HL2DM as we speak.

thats some fine concept there ....when u sketch the blue print post it with ur progress.

btw do you know how to rig?

I've never rigged in Hammer. All my rigging experience is with Lightwave's Layout tool for rendered animations... though I've played around with the existing models in the model viewer, and it seems similar to what Lightwave calls "Motion Mixer".

And I'll most likely start a WIP thread once I've concepted the "room". It was inspired on a visit to Hooters, only I'll be adding a bit of a sci-fi twist. Just keep your eyes open for a thread titled something like: WIP - My Hooters Inspired Room with a bit of Sci-fi.

no player models cuz no one can model players, but some ppl at polycount will probably create some pretty sick models soon.

lord dubu said:
I've never rigged in Hammer.
i hope to god, that not for one second you thought that HL2 models were made in Hammer lol

when you say on the DM server...are you saying that custom models can be used ingame and others can see them ? i hadnt thought of that until now.

random.hero said:
i hope to god, that not for one second you thought that HL2 models were made in Hammer lol

Is such a misconception so hard to fathom, that it requires such hyperbolic statements as this? My apologies if my neophyte hand has been tipped. Obviously I have much to learn about modding, and I never claimed to be a guru, you seem to be, or must be to take such a tone. Perhaps I could learn a thing or two from you then.

random.hero said:
when you say on the DM server...are you saying that custom models can be used ingame and others can see them ? i hadnt thought of that until now.

I'm making an assumption, that like in UT or Quake, when you make a custom model, it is downloaded to each client who connects to a Deathmatch server, so that they can enjoy the poly-goodness that is your individuallity on display.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

yea u need to rig ur chars in max/maya/xsi

best best is xsi since they have offical exporters that are acctualy compiled by valve, it also has the default biped rigs so you don't need to reanimate your entire model. after u rig ur model, export and compile ur smd files. Hammer is only used for maps. U gotta use studiomdl.exe to compile models and vtex.exe for textures. Both located in the %sourcesdk%/bin folder. Much different from ued and the unreal series where everything is done in one program.
try http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/ for more docs

concept work is awsome, hope the models turn out the same.

lord dubu said:
Obviously I have much to learn about modding, and I never claimed to be a guru, you seem to be, or must be to take such a tone. Perhaps I could learn a thing or two from you then.

Nay, Random-Hero is no expert, He's old (almost as old as little old stone), but no-one is really an expert as there is always more to learn, he is just experienced ;)

yea sorry, i didnt mean to come across as a twat, just if youve opened hammer, its really not the kind of thing you want to try and make a complex model with.

Nice concept pics man, it makes me want to build her, ..... exellent.

Back