where can i find a cheap fx5800?

Originally posted by link84
ive read them and about 4 other links im still gettting a 5900 ultra cause the majority of the stuff on the computer is maya work

i'm sorry but if your looking for a card for maya work, then get the ATI. As a company they are far more geared up for the purpose. Only the ATI will give you pre render real time HDR lighting effects.

Originally posted by link84
ive read them and about 4 other links im still gettting a 5900 ultra cause the majority of the stuff on the computer is maya work

the 9800 Pro doesn't suck at maya, why not get the sure bet instead of hoping that nvidia has some magical drivers?

good luck with your 5900ultra

please inform us on the speed at which it runs at when HL2 comes out i hope it performs well! Because i hate seeing people lose out where computers are concerned as its such a quick moving market...

TheRook

have you read the thread in the HL2 discussion group about the new 5.0 Nvida driver. Its performance comes from internal lowering the detail e.g midmapping etc. Its shocking and very visable. I too was a Nvidia user until last week, they made great cards. They just don't now

Originally posted by TheRook
good luck with your 5900ultra

please inform us on the speed at which it runs at when HL2 comes out i hope it performs well! Because i hate seeing people lose out where computers are concerned as its such a quick moving market...

TheRook

I second that. If your rich enough to throw money away, then throw it my direction. Or let us share it between us. With the money you'd save with a 9800non pro you could buy a 5.1 surround system and another 512mb ram.

just let him waste his money, he has closed mind and wants too. the 5800 was one of the worst cards to ever come out(just thought i would remind you). No im not an ati fanboy, because that would be just stupid.

heh i thought he made a joke when i read the topic :)

but apparently not..
what a waste of money :(

The topic starter just wants to get a rise out of you guys, anyone who is a part of this forum knows exactly whats wrong with Nvidia, seeing as how no one can shut up about it.

you produced one benchmark of an engine that John Carmack himself said he had to lower the color precision of nvidia hardware to 16bit and even 12bit integer precision to get them playable, while the radeons are running on the current standard, 24bit

that's not an equal comparison.

i can give you links that show the 5900Us lack of pixel shading power in DX 9 games such as TROAD, Halo, and Half Life 2, not to mention this PS 2.0 benchmark, where on those exact same settings in that pic, i get 35-42 fps

the evidence is stacked up against nvidia, in order to win the consumers trust back with the FX line, they need to pull a magical rabit (read: drivers) out of their ass

Do you just think more expensive = faster or something? Seriously, the fx series was the biggest mistake nvidia ever made. They're expensive because nvidia ****ed up designing them and they cost a lot to produce afaik.

lol let this n00b get the 5800u. Lets wait to laugh at him untill he finds out he gets 12fps in hl2.

Look, guy, I'm not going to get into it anymore as you obviously don't want to listen, but ATI is ahead right now. The 9800 pro is about equal to a 5900 Ultra in today's games, and virtually EVERY DX9 game has shown the 9800 series ahead by a pretty good margin (Doom III IS NOT DX9, it is an OpenGL game that NVidia comes out ahead in for reasons already mentioned, added to the fact that NVidia does OpenGL somewhat better). The FX series is limited in their HARDWARE as far as DX9 is concerned (quick explanation, FX 5900 has 4 non-dedicated shader units, 9800 has 8 dedicated). But, if it's what you want, Don't get the Ultra, your best value is:

http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1197&showit=1

im a nvidia fanboy, every computer i have has a nvidia in it, but the fx series, just sucks. i refuse to upgrade my video card, cause i currently hate both :/

there's no reason to hate ATI this go around, they've done everything right, from architecture, to IQ, to performance, to drivers, they've nailed it all

edit: ouch, you actually shelled out money for a 5200? what a waste

it was cheap, and serves it purpose :D
- i really dislike almost everything about ati's drivers

eh... what exactly do you dislike about them? they install just like nvidia's drivers and they don't cheat, they're rock solid, and even if there was some small thing you didn't like about how they installed or something, would that really be enough to keep you away from them, despite all their other advantages?

lol its funny when nvidia guys complain about ATis drivers when ATI has 5x better drivers right now. Nvidia is pathetic right now....the new .50 or whatever drivers LOWERED the LOD even MORE. Sucks for all you nvidia owners....

wait what am i saying..i have a ti4200 in my old computer...damn. Thank god i dont use my old computer...

Originally posted by TheRook
the fx range of cards are sadly lacking in the directx9 performance area... which hl2 and doom3 are...
:x
I thought Doom 3 was Open GL?

ATIs drivers are excellent to me, i havnt had any problems whatsoever yet.

link84 do not make the mistake of purchasing a Nvidia product at the moment. They will not meet your needs if you plan on playing games in the future. Sure they will be great for all the games out now, but the games coming out this 4 quarter and next year will not run properly and up to par even with new drivers.

I made the mistake of buying a 5900 a month and a half ago. Once this news hit me i paniced and sold my 5900 over ebay, hoping no one heard the news yet. ( yes i screwed someone over) Get a 9800 pro or even a 9600 pro. I am no way of fanboy. Ive used 3dfx and nvidia for the past 5 years. Its all about performance. Do not stick to one company, but think what will work the best and which card will last me for a long time. Dont waste your money.

if you still want a Nvidia card check ebay.

Originally posted by Jagermeister
:LOL:

Don't listen to those guys link84. Do yourself a favor and get the 5800 or 5900 card, you won't be dissapointed. :thumbs: :cheese: :LOL:

You can find go deals on them at http://www.pricewatch.com/

Damn man, that really is wrong. No morals....

If you really must buy Nvidia...plz wait.
Til the new cards come out past Christmas.
The performance with pixel shaders on the FX cards are below par...very much so.
Any future game using pixel shaders are going to see lower FPS.

WTf is this.. i open this thread just so look who's kidding... but here i have a retard that hasent followed the latest news on cards at all! (no offense all you Nvidiots =). If you want to buy a 5800... add about 10$ and youll get an Radeon 9800PRO which will get you so much performance that you wont believe it...

and if im about to comment Jagermeister... i woulf say he's a 99% retard, trying to crack a cruel joke on you...

Shut up, Bob. Just let him get the card he wants to get and let him learn the hard way.

Originally posted by RhapSidious
*cough*, fanboy, *cough* :angel:

lol, their DX 9 drivers have been out for quite a while, or so nvidia claimed they were DX 9 drivers, now they say they aren't

just look in the release notes of those 45.xx drivers you're installing

damn, wrong person quoted, and there's a time limit to edit, sorry

lol.. funny shit man. some guy accidentally pmed me his HL cd key instead of his friend. Rotf, I used it too. I dont have HL, but I do now. :)

Originally posted by nsxownzme
lol.. funny shit man. some guy accidentally pmed me his HL cd key instead of his friend. Rotf, I used it too. I dont have HL, but I do now. :)

HAHHAA thats funny as shit! Stick it to the man!

Originally posted by nsxownzme

That's a funny accident

Back