Where is HL2 at in terms of production?

Platinum

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering where you guys think Half Life 2 's current state is? Do you think boxes are being printed somewhere? Do you think CD's are being stamped? Or has nothing even begun in terms of producing the contents of the package? What do you guys think?? :)

I think a duck stole the master gold copy of HL2 and Vivendi/Valve does not want us to learn about the truth.

blahblahblah said:
I think a duck stole the master gold copy of HL2 and Vivendi/Valve does not want us to learn about the truth.

They're chasing it right now! I think I can see sheepy out there too!
hehehe

hmm.. yes.. vivendi will be making many copies

There are probably already hundreds of thousands of copies stamped, boxed and ready to go. Of course they save time by not including a manual :rolleyes:

bliink said:
Production & Distribution I would say.

Interesting though ... :hmph:

/stares down bliink for being a smart ass ... :cheers:

jk

Yeah really people, he asked for WHAT STAGE of production HL2 is in. Did you even read his post?

Although I am not familiar with the "stages" of production. :p

Well, considering it is being release worldwide in 17 days, I would say they are either finished the packaging/duplicating process, or very close to. I would say they are about to start shipping it out to all the retailers. They'll probably start with shipping out all the overseas copies because it will take longer to get there.

I would evene hazard a guess that the international versions have begun the shipping process, and the US/Canadian versions may still be getting duplicated.

Yeah, I think that some packaged and ready copies are already on their way to distant locations such as Australia, with European copies to be sent soon, and Northern American ones still in packaging.

Im guessing their pressung the boxes right now...they'll leave cd production till the end for "Security"

forg0tt3n said:
Im guessing their pressung the boxes right now...they'll leave cd production till the end for "Security"

Yeah, I think so too.

*On vacation from finishing HL1 phase*
There stuck on that phase...havn't got passed it in 6 years..

I think work on Half-life 2 has just finished and they are in the process of sending the Release Candidate to Vivendi. I would expect a "gone gold" announcement around the end of November and a release for Christmas.

hahah J. K. ROWLINg!!!

iicehawk15 said:
I think work on Half-life 2 has just finished and they are in the process of sending the Release Candidate to Vivendi. I would expect a "gone gold" announcement around the end of November and a release for Christmas.

hahah J. K. ROWLINg!!!

huh? it is gold...

bliink said:
huh? it is gold...

hehe i think he meant just kidding when he said j.k. rowling ... like the auther of all those silly harry potter books ...

Working on the design document for HL2.

Right now they're making the boxes, CDs and other schtuff for the game. Other than that, that's about it. The past month has been a wrap-up of the polishing for the game.

Platinum said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering where you guys think Half Life 2 's current state is? Do you think boxes are being printed somewhere? Do you think CD's are being stamped? Or has nothing even begun in terms of producing the contents of the package? What do you guys think?? :)

i think they are done and in the stores secure vaults gaurded by 15 combine soldiers each lol j/k but i think they are on their way to the stores

yup you needed to come to Jordans... you have too much time to waste lol, should I bring the screenshots of cs:S to science research

This thread made me think about how long it’s been... It was announced back in September, 2003... It was delayed and everyone thought it would be released for Christmas, then April went by with no sign... It’s been more then a whole year since Sep 30th…
I can’t believe we have been waiting this long… it’s shocking... Imagine if they said, “Look it won’t be out for another year” when they missed the release date of Sep 30th 03... Everyone would have said **** that and lost interest the second they made an announcement like that... well I know I would have...

Take S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example, I understand it will be awhile till its released but im looking forward to that game as much as I was Half-Life 2 before the release date… anyways I just wanted to let you all know this is defiantly Valve’s way of trying to get everyone’s attention… The whole scandal with the stolen source was an added bonus and an excuse for a late product.

im glad it was delayed,cause in this long and painfull year they have taken HL2 that one step futher and made it one of the best if not the best FPS around.

The boxes and manuals are in a printing facility/press that is running 24/7 (because it has to, in order to print, emboss/deboss, cut, etc...). The game discs are at a similar facility that has hundreds of computer towers that are built specifically to mass-produce software onto cds. Each system tower has like 12 cd drives in it, and there's like 500 systems towers. :p

(I did a similar job for my school as part of one of my finals...designed the school's graphic design dvd...cool process..)

ferdelancebz said:
The boxes and manuals are in a printing facility/press that is running 24/7 (because it has to, in order to print, emboss/deboss, cut, etc...). The game discs are at a similar facility that has hundreds of computer towers that are built specifically to mass-produce software onto cds. Each system tower has like 12 cd drives in it, and there's like 500 systems towers. :p

(I did a similar job for my school as part of one of my finals...designed the school's graphic design dvd...cool process..)

there arent any manuals....

blahblahblah said:

I agree. :frog:

The Brew Master said:
there arent any manuals....
WTF, can you give the source of that info so I can read it for myself because I don't believe that.

ferdelancebz said:

lol it was probably sarcasm but mass production of CDs doesnt work like that. i don't even think they are burnt as such in the traditional sense.

Yup, wrong about the CDs. They're stamped, not burned. Negatives of the Gold Master discs are made, and these are used to stamp the aluminum that goes into the CDs. This allows duplication to go much faster.

I doubt they're pressed and printed in all one big factory in America and then shipped out around the world, there would be a production plant in Europe doing the European release (i think it's in Ireland), there would be an American plant doing the copies for North America, and then a couple of others dotted around.

Razor said:
I doubt they're pressed and printed in all one big factory in America and then shipped out around the world, there would be a production plant in Europe doing the European release (i think it's in Ireland), there would be an American plant doing the copies for North America, and then a couple of others dotted around.

yup thats correct

The duck was part of an elaborate publicity stunt.

Don't be fooled by the PR people!!!

They are hurriedly trying to be ready for a september 30, 2005 release: they will only inform us of their miscalculations a day before release

The Brew Master said:
So it's true, odd I didn't know it before. After thinking about it, it isn't that bad, it's the game that counts. I'm happy I know it know, because otherwise when I bought the game in the store I would find that out at home and thought the employee from the store has forgotten to put the manual in the box, so I would go back to the store to find out there isn't a manual, and that costs me valueble time (after 16 Nov the value of time is highly increased I think because everyone wants to play HL2 all the time). So thanks for saving me a lot of frustration ;)

Back