Wheres the publicity?

A

anti_authority

Like seriously? How come there is no, if at all, any publicity towards Half-Life 2?

I was flicking through the news channels and I saw a report on Halo 2, and how some people might be missing from school/work because of its release. Which is true as 1/2 the die hard Halo fans weren't at school because they wanted to play. (Our mall also stayed open till 12AM to sell copies to happy customers) There was also another report on GTA:SA and how Sony and Microsoft are battling for the console gamers. But no Half-Life? Yes theres the trailers on the net and once it comes out I'm sure it will win awards. But theres nothing in the papers, or on the TV? Like this is a great step in the gaming world, like physics man! Outta this world real time physics!

I just wish Half-Life would get the recognition that it deservies. Anyone agree?

P.S. When Half-Life dose come out I'm staying over at a friends, I'm bringing as much Mountain Dew as I can aford and we're staying up till its done :D:D

anti_authority said:
Like seriously? How come there is no, if at all, any publicity towards Half-Life 2?

I was flicking through the news channels and I saw a report on Halo 2, and how some people might be missing from school/work because of its release. Which is true as 1/2 the die hard Halo fans weren't at school because they wanted to play. (Our mall also stayed open till 12AM to sell copies to happy customers) There was also another report on GTA:SA and how Sony and Microsoft are battling for the console gamers. But no Half-Life? Yes theres the trailers on the net and once it comes out I'm sure it will win awards. But theres nothing in the papers, or on the TV? Like this is a great step in the gaming world, like physics man! Outta this world real time physics!

I just wish Half-Life would get the recognition that it deservies. Anyone agree?

I definetaly agree! I have NO clue why it isn't herd of so much in the publicity. It is going to be like one of the best games ever for PC. They have no respect. F*cking Microsoft...

EDIT: Good plan. :thumbs:

My 2 cents:

Word-of-mouth is Half-Life 2's main method of publicity. And also magazine reviews.

RabidMeatloaf said:
My 2 cents:

Word-of-mouth is Half-Life 2's main method of publicity. And also magazine reviews.

Yes magazines do get the word around, but not that well.

The other day I was trying to explain to a friend how advanced Half-Life 2 is compared to Halo 2 but he had never heard of Half-Life :eek: He had heard of Counter-Strike, but not HL?? Like whats with that?

^^^^^
and to the dude above me.....Mountian Dew pwns j00 :p

anti_authority said:
(Our mall also stayed open till 12AM to sell copies to happy customers)

If you work there start showing trailers or something, or hang up posters....

RabidMeatloaf said:
My 2 cents:

I've noticed that word-of-mouth tends to work against PC gamers when it comes to talking to ignorant console gamers.

"Hey man, have you seen Half-Life 2 previews yet? It's going to be so sick... I saw this directx 9 video showing off the HDR tech and the physics, so awesome."

"Half-Life? Is that for the GBA? Oh, dude, Halo 2 is going to comeout sometime soon, it has the best graphics in the world."

"..."

I dont work there, a friend worked at the grocery store beside it dose, and she was wondering why there were lots of people around when they were closing.

Yay, it sad.. I was explaining a kid that I like half-life and he brought up that half-life copied Halo and it is just a halo clone with hl2, I told him that halo didn't come out in 1998.. then he said I was just jealous of halo :(

anti_authority said:
P.S. When Half-Life dose come out I'm staying over at a friends, I'm bringing as much Mountain Dew as I can aford and we're staying up till its done :D:D

You're going to share your gametime? Ugh, not the way to go for me! Friends = bad when it comes to games. The thought of having to share a freshly released game is sickening! hehe.

i have to point something out
WORD OF MOUTH IS NOT PUBLICITY
and word of mouth does shitall convincing anyone how good halflife is if they havent seen anything about it before ANYWHERE.
and the people who read PC reviews in magazines are people that are probably going to get halflife 2 anyway

Raziaar said:
You're going to share your gametime? Ugh, not the way to go for me! Friends = bad when it comes to games. The thought of having to share a freshly released game is sickening! hehe.

Oh, he has two computers. But I don't care so much as to play but rather watch. May sound weird but I wont be getting my new computer till X-Mas time;(, and I can't wait that long. We also play off each other great, we both have different playing skills which help in certain situations

anti_authority said:

Man that sounds like so much fun. I would like to do that, realistically I probably won't be able to with school and that the next day.

hmmm who in the world doesn't know about half life 2? my mom that has no computer even said whats all this stuff about HL2 that she heard from her friends kids.
PS: I really think they should let school out for the kids on the day HL2 is unlocked or released. :cheers:

I agree, there is not enough publicity for hl2. I mean, we are getting bombarded with crap for halo 2, and nobody even hears of half-life 2... it's sickening. HL2 really should have went full out with TV commercials and stuff, it would have made quite a bit more money (imagines a full blown hl2 add that livens up ignorant console noobs)

:cheers: LL Cool J(Halo) vs. Canibus(Half Life 2). LL Cool J was an overrated artist; mediocre but still had gigantic fanbase. Canibus, underrated artist; has nice ass art and has very little fanbase compared to LL Cool J. GET MY DRIFT!?!?

I was trying to explain to someone how HL2 was coming out next Tuesday and he thought I meant Halo 2 so I corrected him and said, "No, Half-Life 2. November 16th." He then asked why I wasn't interested in Halo 2 and I told him that 1. I don't have enough cash for an X-Box to play Halo 2 and the game itself and 2. It doesn't interest me.

He then proceeded to wonder at how ANYONE couldn't like his precious Halo 2. I hate idiots...

Edgar said:
Yay, it sad.. I was explaining a kid that I like half-life and he brought up that half-life copied Halo and it is just a halo clone with hl2, I told him that halo didn't come out in 1998.. then he said I was just jealous of halo :(
what a stupid idiot

kill the idiots? but yeah trying to explain to someone even the physics of hl2 can be mind blowing. one guy thought computers could never have physic ablilities that the best we'll ever see is pac man.

yah, Pac Man, like the Pac Man map on counter-strike? morron

The reason you're not seeing a mainstream media blitz about Half-Life 2 is because neither Valve nor Vivendi has Microsoft's marketing budget. Keep in mind, promoting Halo 2 is as much about promoting the Xbox as it is the game itself.

ya today this guy was braggin about how he got halo 2 and im like o ya? half life 2 is going to pwn, and they all like wtf whats pwn and half life 2?

i tried describing to them then the teacher came and said "Ya, i waited in line yesterday to buy a copy of Halo 2 lasr night for my son too!"

i hope commericals come to spread cuz then the consle games will triupmph

Hahahahaha I find it funny how people don't know about Half-Life, yet how many games of the tombraider or resident evil games were revolutionary like Half-Life? I think there is a link between those two examples in particular, they're both console games.

people don't advertise for PC games, the most advertising for a PC game I've seen is when Unreal 1 came out, they actually had a tv ad for it. That's the only PC game I've seen on a tv commercial. Not even for WarCraft 3 did they have commercials on tv. The only advertising I saw for that was in magazines.

that european city looks so cool... my city is crap

half-life 2 doesn't NEED publicity....half-life was that big that all dedicated fans, which was MILLIONS, will be already waiting for the second. no point in wasting money in commercials if theyre not needed

there was an ad on gamespot yesterday for hl2... theres your publicity and just be happy when you get to play it

Mountain Man said:
The reason you're not seeing a mainstream media blitz about Half-Life 2 is because neither Valve nor Vivendi has Microsoft's marketing budget. Keep in mind, promoting Halo 2 is as much about promoting the Xbox as it is the game itself.

thats true.
the other point i'd like to make is that the console gaming market is much larger than the PC gaming market and that is why ur more likely to see ads on TV for console games over PC games.

im actually kind of sick of all the un-informed pple out there who think the HL series is being copied off the Halo series and how un-informed they really are about HL2. :x

Dr. Freeman said:
thats true.
the other point i'd like to make is that the console gaming market is much larger than the PC gaming market and that is why ur more likely to see ads on TV for console games over PC games.

im actually kind of sick of all the un-informed pple out there who think the HL series is being copied off the Halo series and how un-informed they really are about HL2. :x
I've had many the argument with many the idiot about that exact topic. It's rather annoying. I didn't even like Halo, or Halo 2.

i don't understand why you guys insist on that every newb-ass loser and his aunt should play half-life 2.
i'm happy with the community that we have. besides, i don't think that publicity would be any help. most people would see the ad on TV and be like, look, that's Halo 2! then the half-life 2 title shows up, and they go "oh well, that game sucks then, it's not even Halo"
when people are stupid, ain't much you can do.

Yay, it sad.. I was explaining a kid that I like half-life and he brought up that half-life copied Halo and it is just a halo clone with hl2, I told him that halo didn't come out in 1998.. then he said I was just jealous of halo

Kind of like trying to explain to americans that canada has provinces, not states.

Well, I went into my local game and there was not ONE ad for hl2.

I wonder if a lot of stores (particularily best buy) will have a big display setup for half-life 2 like they did with doom3. I will be surprised if doom3 had a bigger "opening" than Hl2 does.

Hmmm.... seriously though Half-life 2 is really unknown to the average gamer that doesn't care too much about anything.....

I mean on that Halo 2 review that gave it 8.0 why of the Halo fanboys (of the many) who was criticizing the reviewers very obscenely said something about Counterstrike being a multiplayer only game, so why doesn't halo2 only get judged on its mulpitplayer mode....(NOte: the review was only base on the singleplayer as the multiplayer part wasn't available yet...i.e. x box live....)

^^^..... stupid console gamers thinking that counterstrike (i think the one released on the xbox) was a multiplayer only game.....OMG!!!!!!!...if only they knew about half-life.....

and nowadays almost all FPS copy off many things that half-life did to revolutionise the gaming industry of fps's. For example doom 3's you don't get a weapon till 30minutes into the game OMG~~~~~~!!!!!!!!...... i'm not saying that there's anything wrong with id copying this.,...... but valve should get much more recognition........ this could be done through ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...ps sorry about spelling errors... i can't type......

Yogibbear said:
Hmmm.... seriously though Half-life 2 is really unknown to the average gamer that doesn't care too much about anything.....

I mean on that Halo 2 review that gave it 8.0 why of the Halo fanboys (of the many) who was criticizing the reviewers very obscenely said something about Counterstrike being a multiplayer only game, so why doesn't halo2 only get judged on its mulpitplayer mode....(NOte: the review was only base on the singleplayer as the multiplayer part wasn't available yet...i.e. x box live....)

^^^..... stupid console gamers thinking that counterstrike (i think the one released on the xbox) was a multiplayer only game.....OMG!!!!!!!...if only they knew about half-life.....

and nowadays almost all FPS copy off many things that half-life did to revolutionise the gaming industry of fps's. For example doom 3's you don't get a weapon till 30minutes into the game OMG~~~~~~!!!!!!!!...... i'm not saying that there's anything wrong with id copying this.,...... but valve should get much more recognition........ this could be done through ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...ps sorry about spelling errors... i can't type......

These people are talking about the XBox version of CS. These are console gamers talking. They don't know that Counter Strike was a mod of half-life. They don't even know half-life exists. Heck most of them don't even know CS was on the PC years before it was but on XBox live and that what they are playing is a 5 year old PC game.

aeroripper said:
I wonder if a lot of stores (particularily best buy) will have a big display setup for half-life 2 like they did with doom3. I will be surprised if doom3 had a bigger "opening" than Hl2 does.

At my local Gamesman store, there are already alot of HL2 posters up.

Back