Which ATI drivers do you use?

GnaaDXarmy

Reaction score
Trying to use the best ATI drivers for Half-Life, but I'm not sure which one will perform better.

-ATI 5.3 Catalyst
-Omega Drivers
-NGO Modded ATI drivers

I've tried the NGO modded ones recently, as well as the regular ATI, but haven't gotten around to trying the Omega's.. What do you all use? I'm on a Radeon 9800...

I tried using Catalyst, but for some reason it crashes when I enter Windows. :(

GnaaDXarmy said:
Trying to use the best ATI drivers for Half-Life, but I'm not sure which one will perform better.

-ATI 5.3 Catalyst
-Omega Drivers
-NGO Modded ATI drivers

I've tried the NGO modded ones recently, as well as the regular ATI, but haven't gotten around to trying the Omega's.. What do you all use? I'm on a Radeon 9800...

I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128meg with the 256 bit interface and I use whatever the latest catalyst drivers are (currently 5.3). I have never had any problems with them. I tried the omega drivers once, but I got the error "unable to initiate shader..." when trying to open HL2. I haven't heard of the NGO drivers. Hope that helps a little.

I use the 5.1 version of the omegas because I have been having problems with the newer versions of the catalysts and dont feel the need to change and screw things up.

Newest Catalyst - Always worked fine for me and all those 3rd party drivers always had something wrong with them.

I'm using the lates Omega drivers; they really increase framerate a lot, and I've never had any problems with them. Never heard of NGO, but ATi's have always been pretty slow for me compared to Omega.

I always use the latest catalyst drivers, I have never had any problems.

I have a 9800XT 256M 256bit and have been using the newest Catalysts available until 4.12. When 5.1 came out, I read alot of people had issues with it (liek any other month?) and decided to keep with the 4.12 becuase they were working great for me - on HL2, FarCry and Doom 3 (demo).

Omega something drivers. Forgot the version.

5.1 Catalysts. The 5.2 and 5.3 versions work horribly with my card (9600XT 256mb) for some reason. I've tried Omegas but they give me graphical errors (flickering textures and stuff).

Um, I thought the Catalyst range of drivers were for the Radeon 9xxx series of cards that had "Catalyst" written on the box.

I thought these sets of drivers were all chipset specific in other words.

Use the ones specifically designed for your gfx card chipset, and you shouldn't have anything go wrong.

The_Wookie said:
Um, I thought the Catalyst range of drivers were for the Radeon 9xxx series of cards that had "Catalyst" written on the box.

Use the ones specifically designed for your gfx card chipset, and you shouldn't have anything go wrong.
What if you bought OEM there is no box? :rolleyes:

JCampbell said:
I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128meg with the 256 bit interface and I use whatever the latest catalyst drivers are (currently 5.3).
nope, 5.4.

i use omega drivers. Installed the latest version yesterday based off the 5.3 catalysts

I'm dl'ing the 5.4's now. It might also be worth checking that you have the latest drivers for your motherboard, AGP controller. Until I redownloaded the VIA Hyperion 4in1's just now, a diagnostic tool was telling me AGP was disabled....

Murray said:
I tried using Catalyst, but for some reason it crashes when I enter Windows. :(

Same. catalyst screwed up my computer. i had to open it in safe mode and uninstall it.

I would never use Omega drivers. The name itself scares me :D

The_Wookie said:

...huh? They all work on any Radeon chipset, and nothing else. Do some research!

Back