Which game has better monsters: HL2 or D3?

Which game has better monsters?

• Half-Life 2: STRIIIIIDEEEEEEEERS

Votes: 97 50.5%
  • Doom 3: Nothing beats the fat zombie

Votes: 57 29.7%
  • I'm one of those people that can't decide ;)

Votes: 38 19.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
This is a friendly competition. I don't mean which game has better rendered monsters, I'm talking about the concept art, ie: look at the concept art when you decide :).

For me nothing beats the head crab. Strider comes close ;).

Attachments

• hl2_concept_2.jpg
    hl2_concept_2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 649
  • hl2_concept_13.jpg
    hl2_concept_13.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 991
  • hl2_concept_10.jpg
    hl2_concept_10.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,510
  • doom3_0523_screen001.jpg
    doom3_0523_screen001.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 790
If you could link us to like the concept art it would be nice, just see it as a control so that some people dont see other pictures than that of what you've seen.

doom3 has scarier monsters...although the zombies freak me out in hl2. and hl2 has "cooler" enemies. like even though they are give us cheap thrill scares (unlike d3 which will make us cry), nothing compares to the coolness factor of the hl2 enemies.

Concept art?

Wouldn't the ingame monsters be more pertinent to the games?

I don't really know about concept art as I haven't seen much from either game. But in general I'd have to vote for Doom 3. After all it's a game pratically specializing in bizarre and scary monsters. I love the spider heads and the flying babies.

Hm... Well, If you're talking about Half-Life 1 vs. the Doom series, Doom wins (in my opinion) on the monster art/concept, then again, Doom's monsters a lot of the time are floating heads and stuff... Not too original. However, from what I've seen of Half-Life 2, I think it'll end up kickin' Dooms face... 3 times... then laughing... and kicking it one more time.

GO HALF-LIFE 2!!! Woohoo...

HL2's character design is a mile better than D3's. Doom3 monsters remind me of a bad 80's horror flick, or from the cover of a 'MegaDeth' album. lol

I love it when people make polls like this in fan-boy infested forums :p

this is, after all HALFLIFE2.net

HL2 IMO has monsters that are more unique in how they work (Striders), but DoomIII has monsters that to me are more appealing in "style".

So I can't decide.

HL2's character design is a mile better than D3's. Doom3 monsters remind me of a bad 80's horror flick, or from the cover of a 'MegaDeth' album. lol
That's exactly what came in mind to me when I saw the first Doom 3 pics. They could totally be on a "MegaDeth" album.

I got one more concept art for Doom 3, but can't edit my message anymore :(

Attachments

• doom3_0523_screen002.jpg
    doom3_0523_screen002.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 12,576
Since HL2 has aliens and Doom3 has demons, i definitely think demons would be scarier, but like its been said before, HL2 has the more original and imaginative monsters.

lazicsavo said:
I got one more concept art for Doom 3, but can't edit my message anymore :(

Ask a mod to do it maybe. As it is everyone may lean toward hl2 since there's 3 example of it and only 1 of D3.

if your talking about "Monsters" then Doom3 kicks HL2. I mean the only real 'Monster' that we have seen is the ant lion.
Had you said "Enemies" then I would have to see until after I had played both games. But I would agree, nothing as come close to striders.. :)

I think both are great for their own reasons. But we don't really know enough about either game to make judgement.

They both have cool enemies...but HL2 has the Strider :p

lol, if you thought killing those guys where appealing, you should see the new trites. the look so much better now.
found the new trite

another-user said:
lol, if you thought killing those guys where appealing, you should see the new trites. the look so much better now.

Pic? .

The striders by far. They'll kick a fat zombie's ass any time.

Yeah, but imagine a strider in Doom 3 style tight quaters. That's alian cruely I tell you.

Half Life 2's monsters 'cause they from space ;)

As for concept art, I don't think you can do a comparision because ID almost never releases concept art. Based off of what I have seen, Half-Life 2 would win on a pure concept art basis.

In game renders though, I would have to go with Doom 3. The monsters in Doom 3 are flat out disturbing, especially the trites, the cherubs, and the pinky demons.

HL2, by a slight margin. Though, Doom3 is seeing the return of the Cacodemon/Pain Elemental which I thought were very cool.

New trites rock. But I can't see anything in Doom 3 being nearly as cool or fun as a Strider walking through the city, reality-bending beams and all.

Theres not really any competition, because doom3 is all about merciless bloodthristy monsters, and half life 2 is about guys in space suits and a few aliens scattered about the place.

I mean jesus, look at the first posters pictures.

A chick with a gun and a skintight suit on.

And a giant skull brain with mechanical spiderlegs, with a cannon in its mouth, dripping with gore.

Hard contest!!

I think Doom 3 has better monsters, but HL2 has better overall enemies.

I said Doom 3, because the quality of the redering (IMHO) is better. That said I can't really say 'till I've played both games. Redo the poll a month after HL2 has been released and see what the results are then perhaps?

Its not even really anything to do with graphics, id probably say doom1 has better monsters than half life 2.

I mean youve got this environment with monsters from hell, with massive gashing teeth and blood dripping from their eyes, and half life has some headcrabs and tall vehicals.

Metrocops aren't "monsters"...why have you included them?

You mean Strider, zombies, headcraps :)P), antlions, hydra, barnacle, biozemindines (sp?)

and doom 3 has the pinky demon, hell knight (scary shit), imps, cherub, spider heads, lost souls.

D3 kicks HL2's butt in monsters...they are obviously more scary and cooler - no doubt.

In the scary department. Doom 3 easily wins. Thats what those monsters were designed for, obviously

Well Dr Kleiner is the scariest thing I've ever seen so HL2 wins.

Back