Which game has better monsters: HL2 or D3?

Which game has better monsters?

• Half-Life 2: STRIIIIIDEEEEEEEERS

Votes: 97 50.5%
  • Doom 3: Nothing beats the fat zombie

Votes: 57 29.7%
  • I'm one of those people that can't decide ;)

Votes: 38 19.8%

• Total voters
Im goin to have to say Doom 3. The first 3 hl2 you posted, they look more like robots then monsters :p

I think Doom 3 has cooler monsters..cuz thats more my style..HL2s monsters is not bad but i dont think the Strider is all that..in fact i think its kinda lame..

To be honest, the strider and the flying ant lions are good for enough for me.

And, although i love Doom 3's monsters i gotta say that the HellKnight looks really.....generic...you know? anybody else get that feeling?

Sparta said:
To be honest, the strider and the flying ant lions are good for enough for me.

And, although i love Doom 3's monsters i gotta say that the HellKnight looks really.....generic...you know? anybody else get that feeling?

I wish they had that cyberdemon guy in Doom 3...yeah the hell knight is kinda generic in the sense you can imagine him from being from hell.

lans said:
I wish they had that cyberdemon guy in Doom 3...yeah the hell knight is kinda generic in the sense you can imagine him from being from hell.
You have some deep personal problems right?

I would go with the option that HL2 got some Monsters better than D3 at the same time D3 got some Monsters better than HL2. Basically they both slightly equal :D

Doom III has way better/freakier enemies, so my vote goes for that.

I can't deny the coolness factor of the headcrabs, though.

I havent seen any pics of the cyberdemons but we cant speculate because neither id or valve have shown their piece the resistence yet.
I´m sure we will be amazed..

Tropico said:
I havent seen any pics of the cyberdemons but we cant speculate because neither id or valve have shown their piece the resistence yet.
loads up BFG9000, Now bring on teh tin demon

Quoted for truth. No doubt the best 'monsters' in both games are yet to be seen.

Wait, which game has better monsters? The game we don't know all monsters of yet, or the game we don't know all monsters of yet? Yes, that makes a lot of sense!

I am on the fence, from what i've seen the D3 enemies are devilishly cool, there are lots of ghoulish details and they have that raw evil effect to them, they are the most twisted things people could come up with. Which makes sense as it's based in hell.

HL2 has cool enemies that influence the game ina different way. The combine are this large freaky group that aren't understood, they are well armed and their motives are unclear. They have the multiple side effect with the ant lions and the xen beings.

HL2 has a more oppressive presence and there seemsto be a far greater feeling of depth to the game based on the enemy. Whereas D3 will never fully make you feel like you are there, it's so horror that you cannot feel truly emersed whereas HL2 has the benefit of the enemies reality, they aren't all slobbering beasts, they are far easier to imagine and relate to in a real way.

One blast of a strider's "reality" beam can send a fat pink blob demon to orbit.

ShadowFox said:
I think both are great for their own reasons. But we don't really know enough about either game to make judgement.
My feelings exactly. each game has its own different style and so Antlions, for example, wouldn't work in Doom3 the same way that weird half-robot half-meaty thing wouldn't work in HL2.

Can't decide. I'd actually rather shoot the Combine soldiers over shooting the monsters. That's one reason why I'll like HL2 better then Doom 3 too...

Honestly i think doom3 will have a slightly better sp game than half life 2, but hl2s mod scene will kick dooms ass.

What is with all the doom3 vs hl2 threads? :dozey: Last time I checked these games have nothing in common with eachother. Why not compare hl2 with far cry? Seriously, there is nothing worse than a fanboy saying how much better something is when neither game is currently out so plz just give it a rest and make that decision once you have actually played BOTH games. :flame:

Well, both games try to cope with the new winds that are blowing from our megasized cooler fans and do it well. But Doom3 has these creatures that gets you think their functionality and purpose. I mean, really..they serve no purpose..Big headed monsters that kill breathing the fires of hell. Uhm Strider on the other hand has those long legs so it can walk really fast and spot things from the airial view :)

I´m actually hoping the D3 mosters will be more of the quick attack like system shock 2 type scary.
HL2 i´m thinking better AI.
Cant wait

Horay im a bullsquid!!!!
Humm registed July 2003...one year ago i was hoping to be 2 months away from HL2...still waiting...still...waiting...stil..s..beeeeeeeeeeep

Im getting tired of mutant monsters now, they are all basically the same. All you do is have some guy come up with a gross looking monster and there you have it. For me, HL2 has some hint of unique monsters. Headcrabs are quite unique, and then they can take over human bodies. Striders are gigantic three leged things that impale people on their feet.

The HL2 monsters dont look scary, but to me that makes it better. It gives a sence that this could be real, and that makes the whole theme of oppression much more applicable.

I guess I just look forward to a game where there is a real sense of despair, where the human race is already becoming extinct because of the more "lifelife" monsters in HL2. Which is opposed to the "holy crap I almost shit my pants when that monster jumped out of nowhere" experiece that will be had from Doom 3.

Well..tough call. But as someone else said, Doom3 is the game which actually has "monsters." But to stretch that into creatures in general...

HL2's monsters seem to be more thought out and have more purpose to be where they are, and be doing what they are doing at a given time.

Doom3's monster basically you could design anything and really not need a reason for it to be there, or look a certain way, because it just needs to be thrown in a dark corridor and go "boo!" now and then. For instance: A clown, in the right situation, can be terrifying, and that's kinda where I see Doom3. Pretty much anything would work so on a design level, I just don't see Doom3's monsters being anything really special (at least I say that until I play the game).

So I will vote this way: On pure creature/character development and design HL2 wins by a large margin. On scare factor, I will give it to Doom3 because that's what the game is meant to do...BUT...I think it has less to do with the monsters than it does with the environment. (Put a clown in those hallways stalking you and it would still be very creepy.)

It's very very subjective to what someone finds good and/or scary though so there really isn't a right or wrong with this.

Personally, I'd like to see a level/mod with Doom3 monsters versus Half-Life2 monsters.
It'd be cool if the AI routines for both could be included as well.

Half life 2 pwns. doom 3 looks like a resident evil FPS =S

Actually a clown stalking you through the dark, spooky corridors of UAC would be the second most terrifying (I think I spelled it wrong) thing in the game.

"Honk, honk" and you crapped your pants.

i Wonder What Game Is Going To Win On A Half-life 2 Forum.

Subz said:
i Wonder What Game Is Going To Win On A Half-life 2 Forum.

Too true. On the bright side however, Doom 3 is at least halfway to Hl2 on the poll. I thought it'd get about 10% of the votes.

Doom 3 is, as a game, worse then Half-Life 2. But they're really in two different genres.

One is a scary-fastaction-shooteverythingthatmoves-FPS...
And the other is a deep, involving story with a whole lot of thinking and action (In a perfect blend to say the least).

I voted HL2 because there seems to be more divercity and originality than DOOM 3 has. AFAIK all but three of DOOM3's enemies are bipedal, humanoid monsters. Then you have the heads with legs that are like the monsters from the thing. Just about every mosnter in HL has a more original feel to them than DOOM to me.

Dead-Inside said:
Doom 3 is, as a game, worse then Half-Life 2. But they're really in two different genres.

One is a scary-fastaction-shooteverythingthatmoves-FPS...
And the other is a deep, involving story with a whole lot of thinking and action (In a perfect blend to say the least).

I need to clear this up, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (most likely) is classified as a puzzle style first person shooter. You don't say Half-Life belongs in the "deep, involving story with a whole lot of thinking and action" genre.

Half-Life had more jumping puzzles than having full blown action sequences.

Can't decide as of now need to play both games 1st.

Valve and Id should have a tournament where they match up their enteties against each other. Like Strider vs (whatever is large in Doom 3). Or Combine Soldier vs Marine. I know it's not feasable since the two engines are different, but would be nice publicity.

Doom 3 probably has at least 1/3 more monsters.

I do think it would be highly possible to create a mod for HL2 and take out the creatures of Doom 3 and put it into the mod. You can't do this, though, thanks to copyright, etc...

doom is scarier but i think it has a lot to do with atmosphere along with it. doom had some pretty lame monsters, but doom3 has upside down head spiders and flying babies. i still like halflife monsters better though, nothing beats headcrabs, and that one thing (forget what its called) that chases you in the parking lot.

I think DOOM 3 Has Scarier monsters. Althou i am not gonna vote cause we need to see 100% OF BOTH Games content. Then we can judge this (my opinion)

Back