Which game revolutionized First-Person-Shooting?

Which PC game are you most anticipating?...besides Half Life 2

• The Movies

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • The Matrix Online

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Doom III

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Men of Valor: Vietnam

• Joint Operations

• Driv3r

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...when it's released in 2005

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters
For me, the first fps that looked semi-real was Half Life. That's why I'm here.

I played wolfenstein 3d before half-life but it didn't live up to the '3d' in its title

Half Life also was one of the first with decent AI.

Zapp$ter said:
"players not alone" -- what the hell does that mean? It's not like Halo was the first FPS to give the player allies within the game was it? I mean ffs HalfLife had it, OpFor had it, Rainbow Six had it, SWAT3 had it. The major new thing with Halo was the vehicles, even then I'm not sure it was the first game to have them(I believe it may have been a game called Mobile Forces or Operation Flashpoint or maybe I'm talking out of my arse)

C&C Renegade had vehicles, but that wasent really a good game but you dident fight alone and it did have vehicles.

Doom and Quake were the most important games in the genre.

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE TITLE

dunno.. half-life changed the entire way i looked at FPS'es

half life was just a good game well put together it didnt revolutionize anything. really it was just a clone of earlier games the story was taken right out of doom its obvious and when u remember that gabe was a huge id fan its even more obvious.

Doom! I can't believe the crap I'm reading in here; doom sucks? It's the greatest FPS game of all times for crying out loud.

Mr. Redundant said:
it depends on when you played it.
see a lot of us oldschoolers will say doom and or Wolfenstein 3d because they blew us away when they came out.
then you get people who didnt really get into computers/were too young to play the game when it was released... it wont have a huge impact on them.

and people who havent played them/played them more recently shouldnt even comment :p

wolfenstein 3d invented the 3d genre, it was amazing.. the graphics were so life-like.. it had a controversial topic (nazism) and was the first game I ever played with violence and gore.
you cant tell me that wont have an impact on someone playing it for the first time.

agreed.
and i guess Half Life took the fps genre to the next level if u will.

its sad when Wolfenstein 3D and the first 2 Doom games do not get the recognition they began with the genre... hopefully with the release of Doom3.. some of the younger pple here can/will get their hands on those earlier games and play through and understand what Wolfenstein 3D and the Doom series meant to the genre.

Doom and Wolfenstien were a technological masterpiece, but I honestly think that they lacked any sort of ingenuity gameplay-wise. It was just... blah. Run. Shoot. Run. Shoot. Find keys. They could have easily given the player some kind of believeable obstacles like, oh, say a series of little connection switches you had to hit throughout to restore power and extend a bridge. I would of loved stuff like that and it was perfectly possible at the time. I just didn't like Wolf3D or the Doom games. When Dark Forces came later it had some of that kind of stuff and it was the fist FPS I liked. But there was Myst, RTS's and other such things that held my interest. I was very young, but I needed things that made me think or something interesting to interact with. I didn't get into Half-Life until a few years after it's release because the small parts I played of Quake pushed me away from FPS games. But Half-Life is great, full of cool things to see or make happen. The challenges felt like real-world obstacles. So Doom & Wolf3D made a genre that was nothing but a tech demo for me, Half-Life completely transformed it into my favorite genre out there. That's why I'm a member of this forum, because Half-Life was the game that brought me into the FPS world.

CB | Para said:
Doom! I can't believe the crap I'm reading in here; doom sucks? It's the greatest FPS game of all times for crying out loud.

They're just n00bs. :hmph:

Doom is still superior to many recent FPS games.

Wolf3D and Doom were great. They set that standard.
Loved Wolf3D. "Mein Laben!" "Nein" "Guten Tag!"

Half-Life made further standards and IMO revolutionized First-Person-Shooters.
IMO
Halo didn't revolutionize the FPS genre but rather took a detour and got lost. (Yes, I've played the Xbox version :|)
Goldeneye 007 was great fun and they had some good things in the game that I really enjoyed but I don't think they raised the standards to any degree that I would call revolutionary.

Doom and Wolfenstein3D couldnt really revolutionize the FPS genre.. they ****ing created it

Asus said:
Wolf3D and Doom were great. They set that standard.
Loved Wolf3D. "Mein Laben!" "Nein" "Guten Tag!"

Half-Life made further standards and IMO revolutionized First-Person-Shooters.
IMO
Halo didn't revolutionize the FPS genre but rather took a detour and got lost. (Yes, I've played the Xbox version :|)
Goldeneye 007 was great fun and they had some good things in the game that I really enjoyed but I don't think they raised the standards to any degree that I would call revolutionary.

Halo was the first Next Gen FPS to grace a CONSOLE

Well 2 things....

The poll and the post have nothing to do with each other so this all looks retarded...

Of course Doom and Wolf. But also Quake and Q2.

The Q2 engine powered FPSs for a long time. Its the Q2 engine built the bridge that got us where we are today with games.

Anyone remember SiN? Kingpin? Soldier of Fortune? I could go on and on.

I dont think HL1 was THAT revolutionary, just fun.

I think it will be a nice showdown between Id and Valve for the game that will change more. At first glance you may lean twoards Source, but remember, HL1 was built on an Id engine, this is still valves first real engine. So their still rookies, Id are the tested and proven vets.

We will all see. And probably discuss it again in 5 years.

amneziac85 said:
Id are the tested and proven vets.

At game engines, yes, but i am yet to see them make a game that is both story-driven and atmospheric. Doom 3 should definately deliver on this, but whether or not it delivers a better game as a whole (gameplay, AI, NPC "attachments", all that shit that you'd expect in a game), i'd say Valve have the upper hand there. Id created the FPS genre, Valve took it to a whole new level. It'll be interesting how both games turn out. Either way im getting both, but chances are i wont finish Doom 3 for another year or two because i'll be too scared of it

Sparta said:
At game engines, yes, but i am yet to see...
Agreed. I don't consider adding new tech to be revolutionary. I think revolutionary ideas in FPS's have been things that changed the way you looked at FPS's.
Thief introduced stealth, HalfLife introduced plot and new game design concepts, Duke3d gave real-world environments/interaction, System Shock/Deus Ex brought RPG elements in an FPS, Team Fortress brought team based gameplay, CounterStrike brought round-based gameplay (and got into a mainstream audience), Rainbow Six made realistic, tactical shooters popular, etc.

ID software has to be doing something right all of these years...

Besides having great graphics, ID games have a rare thing called fun gameplay. Not to many games have that feature. Try and tell me that you haven't had fun playing an ID game, just try. If you do, you are lying through your teeth.

They are revolutionary game studio because they have shown the ability to make great, fun games throughout an extended period of time. Not too many developers can claim that (not even Valve or Ion Storm). You gotta give them credit.

blahblahblah said:

Besides having great graphics, ID games have a rare thing called fun gameplay. Not to many games have that feature. Try and tell me that you haven't had fun playing an ID game, just try. If you do, you are lying through your teeth.

They are revolutionary game studio because they have shown the ability to make great, fun games throughout an extended period of time. Not too many developers can claim that (not even Valve or Ion Storm). You gotta give them credit.
You make them sound more consistent than revolutionary.....
whatever.....

blahblahblah said:

Looking Glass Studio's has been responsible for the 1st two thief games which introduced stealth into the FPS genre and they also were the first studio to introduce RPG elements in an FPS game with System Shock and System Shock 2. They'd be just as revolutionary as Id in my books. I agree with you though, Id do make fun games but when Doom 3 comes out and if its story and atmosphere is on par with Far Cry, then i'll be really really damn disappointed in Id.

Thats not gonna happen though, cause Doom 3 will rock

Back