Which Graphics Card

Sanada

Reaction score
I'm thinking off upgrading my graphics card but don't know what to go for. I currently have a Radeon 9700 Pro which I've had for almost 3 years now. It's done me well up till now.

I usually play CS:S and with the new maps that have been released (specifically de_port) I’ve had to go from High detail to Low in order to get a reasonable FPS of 20-40. I also tend to play on 40 player servers.

I've also played FEAR, which did run OK on Medium detail but the dynamic lighting almost killed it.

System Spec (Self-Built):

MB: Asus PC4800-E Deluxe (AGP, no PCI-E)
CPU: P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FBS Prescott Sck478
RAM: 1GB PC2700 (Soon to upgrade to 2GB PC3200)
HDD: 120GB + 80GB (May upgrade to a RAID setup)

Should I wait longer for prices to drop or just upgrade now? I'm not going to do a complete system overall and get a new Mobo just yet. I'm going to do that when Vista comes out. I've only had the current setup for a year and a half so I just want to upgrade it a bit.

I'm not sure which card to go for. I was thinking maybe a 6800 or something. I'd like to have a card that supports SM 3.0 which I know only some of the AGP nVidia cards have. I don't think there are any ATI AGP cards that have SM 3.0 but correct me if I'm wrong.

I sort of tempted to get an X800 series card but can't make my mind up. :/

I'd like a card that'll play most current games with High detail and maybe some of the upcoming games too. I'm not expecting to get superb performance, just something a bit better than I currently have.

My prices range is around £100-200. I'd like to not go over £200 if I can. I bought my current card for £255 when it was one of the best available at the time, not really keen on doing that this time.

Someone must know something about GFX cards... :eek:

For the price, a 6800GT would be an awesome pick.

Although to be as future proof for performance as the 9700pro was, a 7800GT would be better. Too bad that's PCI-E only.

I'm gonna be getting the 7800gt card as soon as I can afford it along with a new mobo and cpu

I've looked for a AGP 6800GT on ebuyer.com and overclokers.co.uk and they don't seem to stock them. Guess they're phasing out AGP quicker than I thought. :(

I saw this one though:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6800_Series.html

Didn't seem to bad for the price. Is the 6800GS any better or is it pretty much the same?

Sanada said:
I've looked for a AGP 6800GT on ebuyer.com and overclokers.co.uk and they don't seem to stock them. Guess they're phasing out AGP quicker than I thought. :(

I saw this one though:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6800_Series.html

Didn't seem to bad for the price. Is the 6800GS any better or is it pretty much the same?

Its a good buy but it is PCI-E only. The 6800gt is no longer being made and is being replaced by the 6800gs.

But on the site it says: XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-060-XF)

They do indeed appear to have an agp version out, which is nice. Pretty much on par with a 6800GT. 12 pipes as opposed to 16, but a higher clock speed to compensate. Would be a good purchase

Back